Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another 4WP complaint list

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:05 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 4WP complaint list

This was interesting. 4WP has always had a bad rep, but Cooper tires has always had a good reputation. Pity they fell in with bad company. I'm posting this because it contains some good info on how to get help if you need it. Good info there.

http://badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff115390.htm
Old 01-14-2005, 08:27 AM

4wp has a bad rep? When I ordered my rims everything went well.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone I have ever worked with there is an idiot. They told me that in order to align my bracket kit they would have to lower the torsion bars (they were at Stock height) and it would cost 300.00 bucks to do.

I went to Protrux, they cranked my Torsions up a little and were able to allign everything.

4WP knows how to make mallcrawlers (They are the ones responsible for lifting the dealership F350's, Silverados, Rams that get sold lifted). They also know Jeeps. But they absolutely know nothing about Yotas. Then again I only have a Yota so I've never asked about anything else.......On second thought they probably know nothing about those other trucks as well.

How hard can it be to piece together a rims and tire order????
Old 01-14-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the guys up here in tacoma were pretty good. one of them had a built land cruiser and a SASed toy, he knew his stuff about yotas. one of the shop kids snapped a front wheel stud on my truck and i got to watch him take apart half the axle though
Old 01-14-2005, 05:26 PM

That is not an X-Terrain tire in the PHOTO SAYS IT ALL picture. I have never had any problems with my 4WP orders. Have you ordered anything from them or are you just posting what others have said?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:54 AM

that doesn't even look like a procomp tire to me...
Old 01-15-2005, 12:22 PM

that also dosent look like tread seperation to me. looks more like trail damage.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:58 PM

They are "ok" to buy from when they have good deals on single parts but to many bad stories relating to lifts, tires and shocks. Buy a shock here or shock there but dont try to buy all four cuz that would be an overload on them. lol
Old 01-15-2005, 01:41 PM

Yes I agree. I had them install my OME coils and shocks on the front of my 4runner and they installed the coil cup upside down. You'd think they specialize in installing these kinds of parts. I could have taken it to an oil/lube place and they could have done it properly.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:04 PM

a lot of the guys there are just kids...

nonetheless, i won't let anybody but me touch my truck. some people don't have the skill or time to go that route though...
Old 01-15-2005, 04:49 PM

There has been a LOT of complaints on THIS forum (and elsewhere,) that's why I posted it here. Any time a company gets investigated you sure had better wonder.

I agree about the pic - first thing I thought when I saw it was chunked tread - so what? I don't see evidence of delam, but then again it's a poor pic.

Again, I said I was posting this because that thread contains some good info on how to get help if you need it. (With any company.)
Old 01-15-2005, 05:29 PM

i've heard a LOT of complaints about 4wp on various forums over the years, although I have never dealt with them personally. In a few months I will be buying my swampers from them, because they are well below the price of anyone else in my area. I'll get them mounted and balanced at work however.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
There has been a LOT of complaints on THIS forum (and elsewhere,) that's why I posted it here. Any time a company gets investigated you sure had better wonder.

I agree about the pic - first thing I thought when I saw it was chunked tread - so what? I don't see evidence of delam, but then again it's a poor pic.

Again, I said I was posting this because that thread contains some good info on how to get help if you need it. (With any company.)
Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was attacking you. Just wanted to know if it was from your personal experience or just what you heard. There just seems to be a lot more complaining these days and a lot less personal accountability.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:55 AM

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them. The store near me is OK. Not great but OK. The prices are good and it's close. My store admitted that they are not really Toyota guys but the manager at the store near me is. He personally put on my lift since his guys were unexperienced. The manager near me used to work at or has a friend that works at all-pro-offroad so he is willing to install their stuff for me. Most will only install what they sell you. Part of having a good experience is knowing what you want instead of relying on them to tell you. Part of it is understanding that mistakes happen and if they do deal with it whine nicely and they will usually make it right. BTW Did you know that 4WP price matches? I got my FIPK and Flexalite black magic fan for $160 each because i price matched against Jegs. Bottom line, let the buyer beware and all stores are not the same.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by calg3
Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was attacking you. Just wanted to know if it was from your personal experience or just what you heard. There just seems to be a lot more complaining these days and a lot less personal accountability.
No worries. I have fairly thick skin.
I've personally never dealt with them. I have always been able to beat their prices.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
This was interesting. 4WP has always had a bad rep, but Cooper tires has always had a good reputation. Pity they fell in with bad company. I'm posting this because it contains some good info on how to get help if you need it. Good info there.

http://badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff115390.htm

good info, i was considering a set of the mud terrains for some studded snow tires for my suburban when they do a buy one get one *almost* free, maybe ill just pass. ive gotten some damn good deals from them by using 20% off coupons and in house rebates along with manufacture's rebates but they are starting to show their true colors in so many ways i dont think ill be doing anymore business with them.

last time i called *my* salesmen gave me terrible info, telling me CTM u-joints cant be run at high speeds for long periods of time (he sad more then a few miles!), he said the same about the ox joints too, as he tried to sell them to me (it seems to me the ox joints would stand up to those coonditions but why is the guy selling them telling me this?) he also acted like he could get me a good deal on warn shafts (what i called about) and quoted me a higher price then what is printed in their magazine ads. so WhyTF would a guy who ive already spent almost $3k with start jacking me around?? hell he knew be by name, knew of all the stuff i still NEED, and still, i feel, intentionally tried to mis-lead me.

i also love how they inflate their price to counter their sale price on sale items, isnt that illegal? well if thats okay the bait and switch on the pro-comp straps wasnt right?? looks like i gave my hard earned money to people that dont desreve it, well im done.

Last edited by its2slo; 01-16-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:25 PM

they've always got some kind of scam with pricing...nothing is ever consistent with them for some reason...especially with procomp tires. they sell them at insane prices so the only time you can get a "normal" price for all 4 is when you buy 3 and get one free
Old 01-16-2005, 12:47 PM

They sent a free bugshield style decal of theirs with the flames on the ends and they got it right out to me. But I did ask for a dozen of them on the other hand.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:09 PM

they gave me a bad price on rims the other day. they were procomp 1079's and they were listed in the ad in Peterson's Off Road for like 119. He quoted me 595 shipped for just the wheels, nothing esle, no lugs or caps but the ad said "free caps." I bailed on them and just got MT Classic II's from Summit Racing. They only charged my 8.95 for handling and no shipping. I also got my light hoop and lights from them. Everything always gets here in 2 or 3 days from them too which is cool cause you don't pay for shipping. thats my 2 cents