Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Amsoil and Oil Filters

Old 03-23-2003, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil and Oil Filters

Two questions:
After hearing so much about Amsoil, I went ahead and bought 24qrts for $100. I'll use it in both of my cars. My question is, I know there website etc. says you can change your oil every 25,000 miles. Using Moblie 1 synthetic, I never went above 6000 miles bofore an oil change. Most of the time I changed it about every 3500-4000. Would you guys take the risk of waiting every 8000 to 10000 to change your oil using amsoil? It just seems, that even with a great lubricant, I will still be accumatling crap in my engine, oil, etc... How long will it take for my filter to get to a point, where its not working efficiently, or the engine starts to bypass it.
Second question is... For my first 13 or so oil changes I used Fram Duraguard filters. For the past 4 changes, I've been using Toyta filters. I bought 10 for $2bucks a piece. With the Fram filters I used to tighten the filters until they were as tight as I could do it with my hand. I never had a problem with them leaking after changing the oil. I also alway clean off the place where the fitler sits. With the toyota filters twice now, I've had oil start leaking past the filter. Major amounts when I only tighten it this tight. I also notice that when I tighten it I notice that it tightens past the rubber wring, and the paint actually comes off the black on the oil filter. Anyone else had problems with this?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-23-2003, 07:45 AM

Re: Amsoil and Oil Filters

Originally posted by getchellad
Two questions:
After hearing so much about Amsoil, I went ahead and bought 24qrts for $100. I'll use it in both of my cars. My question is, I know there website etc. says you can change your oil every 25,000 miles. Using Moblie 1 synthetic, I never went above 6000 miles bofore an oil change. Most of the time I changed it about every 3500-4000. Would you guys take the risk of waiting every 8000 to 10000 to change your oil using amsoil? It just seems, that even with a great lubricant, I will still be accumatling crap in my engine, oil, etc... How long will it take for my filter to get to a point, where its not working efficiently, or the engine starts to bypass it.
Second question is... For my first 13 or so oil changes I used Fram Duraguard filters. For the past 4 changes, I've been using Toyta filters. I bought 10 for $2bucks a piece. With the Fram filters I used to tighten the filters until they were as tight as I could do it with my hand. I never had a problem with them leaking after changing the oil. I also alway clean off the place where the fitler sits. With the toyota filters twice now, I've had oil start leaking past the filter. Major amounts when I only tighten it this tight. I also notice that when I tighten it I notice that it tightens past the rubber wring, and the paint actually comes off the black on the oil filter. Anyone else had problems with this?

Thanks,
Adam
Hey there,

Answer #1: Not everyone will agree w/me, but I've had Amsoil 5W-30 syn in my 4Runner for almost a year now. I changed it in approx. June of 2002 and leave it in. I change the Amsoil filter every 3 months to keep it clean. It's almost as clean as it was when I put it in last year and I've gone over 12,000 miles. I've used Amsoil in various vehicles for many years now and don't have any doubts about their product. I'll continue to leave it in for one year at a time, with only filter changes every 3 months.

Answer #2: I have not had the same experience but it may have to do with overtightening the Fram filters you started out with. I'm only guessing, but it sounds like the Fram filter's rubber gasket comes out further than the Toyota one. From overtightening it + heat, it's pushed/molded the rubber gasket on your engine block back, ever so slightly. Or it's ruined the rubber gasket on the engine block to the point that it's coming apart, bit by bit. Because you said black is coming off on to the Toy filter, I'd say the latter. So now when you put on the Toy filter, it no longer seals properly.

I wouldn't tighten filters more than hand-tight, not "as tight as I could do it with my hand" and after cleaning the area around where the filter was, I'd dip my finger in some oil and rub it on the rubber gasket area of the filter before putting it on. This should allow the filter to be taken off easier the next time and should prevent the two rubber gaskets from forming/molding due to the heat (it lubes the gaskets too).

Al

EDIT: now that I think about it, I don't think there is a rubber gasket on the engine block side, which probably means stuff from the old Fram gaskets got stuck there. Again, that's a result of overtightening + heat + not lubing the filter gasket before screwing it on.

Last edited by HBoss; 03-23-2003 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:53 AM

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the Toy filters for $2 a piece?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:43 AM

Thanks guys,
Do you have an filter extension on your truck, or do you just loose half a quart of oil from you filter when you change it?
I always clean off the metal where the filter sits, as best I can, and I always check my filters to make sure all of the gasket comes back off with the filter. When I put the filter back on I always lube it with my finger. As you were saying, it seems to me that the OEM Toyota filters have a smaller gasket on them, which I think makes it harder to get a perfect seal as easily. When I tighten it all the way as hard as I can using my hand, the metal on the filter actually touches the engine, which never happened when using the better(of of a bad product) Fram filters.
I know everyone says Fram filters are really cheap, but is there really all that major of a difference if you change your oil often?

I bought the filters from.

www.toyotadiscountparts.com

I can't say enough about these guys. They have always been very helpful on the phone, and the parts I've bought from them have always been at least %25-60 off what I would have to pay at the dealership. I was buying seals... fuel filter... etc. when I bought my filters, and I asked how much they cost, and the guy told me $2.40 (or something like that), and I asked how much if I buy 10 of them, and he told me he would sell 2bucks a piece. Great people.

Last edited by getchellad; 03-23-2003 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:42 AM

Yup, lose a pint when changing the filter, fill a pint after putting the new one on.

Having never used a Toyota filter myself (I've only used Amsoil ones since I bought it), I really don't know how it should look when it's on. I don't believe the metal from the filter should actually be touching the engine block though. I think it's over-tightened in that case.

I just lube the gasket, screw the filter on until it's snug, then turn it another quarter to half turn or so. Never tighten more than that or reef on it. Never had a leak or anything weird happen using this method (knock on wood).

The Amsoil filters are pricy though. They cost about $10 each (USD) for me. But "eh", it's only $10 every 3 months I guess, so big deal, right? :cry:
Old 03-24-2003, 09:08 AM

I have one question about amisol oil. If you use this and only change oil once a year will this void the warranty if the dealer finds out?
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-24-2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by taco02
I have one question about amisol oil. If you use this and only change oil once a year will this void the warranty if the dealer finds out?
Thanks
Brad
I, myself, am not sure. The only new car I used it in, was my Acura 1.6EL and although I used Amsoil, I changed it out every 3 months instead of yearly. I only started the yearly change thing when I got the 4Runner.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:28 AM

What price do most of you pay for Amsoil, and if I need to buy again, do you have any recommendations where to buy?
Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-24-2003, 01:31 PM

No. it will not void your warranty if you change your oil filter at least every 6 months or 12500 miles and there is this federal law call The Magnuson -Moss Warranty Act. The dealer and/or manufacture would have to prove that the oil was the actual cause of an engine failure should one occur. In the 30 years that Amsoil have been in business, to this day there has not been a claim that an engine failed due to Amsoil being use for extended time pass 3000 miles. Most truck fleets run their oil a long time, but they do change the filters and they also do an engine oil analysis. Most also have a bypass filter, even tho for the toyota is nice to have, but not needed. And finally Amsoil products do come with a warranty. It's listed on their web site.

Now do I go 25,000 miles without changing my oil?

No I do not.

I change mind at 7500 miles cause I use a K&N air filter which has good air flow, but not so good filter qualities. But then I clean and reoil that filter every 10000 miles, but before I put it back in the engine I take some towels and a vacumn cleaner and remove some of the oil. I hear that it messes up the MAF. Haven't have a problem. I really wish Amsoil made an air filter for the 2-Gens V6.

As for price, you can go to their web site and sign up as a Dealer or a preferred customer and buy it wholesale, sorta.

My 02 cents.

Last edited by rchavis; 03-24-2003 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:11 PM

Its funny you mentioned that the K&N filters mess up your MAF sensor, because I've been running the K&N filters sinced about 500 miles on my 4runner, and this last summer at 75,000 miles it went bad, and I had to replace it. I probably could have cleaned it, but I thought it had gone bad electronically.