Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Alright men teach this boy how to negotiate pricing....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright men teach this boy how to negotiate pricing....

...IM GETTING A 2005 TACOMA DOUBLE CAB LONG BED!!!
I had $18k from the 4Runner, and my parents are giving me $10k.

I config'd one for $30,300. SSM, Graphite, 4WD, V6, Auto. TRD SPorts Package, etc etc.

Now, as you all know by simple math, Im about $2k too short, and thats not including taxes or registration.

Can I have some tips to negotiate the price?

Yea, my dad is selling his tacoma to make space for mine...
Old 04-04-2005, 06:04 PM

just walk in and say.. 'oh, thats nice.. i have this much, how bad do you want to make a sale?'
Old 04-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by green91runner
just walk in and say.. 'oh, thats nice.. i have this much, how bad do you want to make a sale?'
They dont have the truck I want on hand...

...If they did have it, Id SOOOO do that with a huge wad of cash in my back pocket...

I seem to break down after they refuse my first offer...I get embarassed to easily...
Old 04-04-2005, 06:22 PM

try a different dealer in your area? might have what your looking for?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:26 PM

dont break down,if they dont take it say you have another one lined up. use the dealerships against eachother. get one low, go to the other one and say you havs cash and will pay this much, its all a game
Old 04-04-2005, 06:48 PM

what i always do (i've helped a bunch of my friends get good deals also) is do print out a paper with all the options i want listed. i go in, ask for the fleet manager, give him the paper and ask for the best price he can give me. then i leave and go to the next dealership. after i get 3-4 quotes, i call the two best and tell them that they're in the running and if they want to make a better off, now's the time. takes all the stress out of dealing with all the lying salesmen. caution: after you've setteled on a price, you'll go to another guy to sign the papers. this guy will try to talk you into extended warrenties or paint protection, or other crap. say "no" to whatever he offers, it's all crap and pure profit for the dealer.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:57 PM

except gap insurance, i would reccomend that.

wade
Old 04-04-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
...IM GETTING A 2005 TACOMA DOUBLE CAB LONG BED!!!
I had $18k from the 4Runner, and my parents are giving me $10k.

I config'd one for $30,300. SSM, Graphite, 4WD, V6, Auto. TRD SPorts Package, etc etc.

Now, as you all know by simple math, Im about $2k too short, and thats not including taxes or registration.

Can I have some tips to negotiate the price?

Yea, my dad is selling his tacoma to make space for mine...
I'm not the most experienced in this, but I have two concepts that I would say are key:
(1) Stick to your guns. Don't be pushed around!
(2) Don't be afraid to walk out on them. They'll call you if they are interested in making a deal, plus the dealer isn't going anywhere. Be patient.

and good luck!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by wimpywade94
except gap insurance, i would reccomend that.

wade
1) you should put enough down that you don't need gap insurance

2) if you still need gap insurance, get it through your inusrance company and not the dealer, you'll get a better deal.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

agreed, all around. we got our subaru (shhhh... my wife's car) at a pretty good price by walking in and saying, we've got $26k and that's it, for this vehicle. what can you do? i had looked it up on edmunds and on subaru's site, and saw that with the package we wanted, it should have been about $1500 more than that, so we got a decent deal.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

try carsdirect.com then you dont even have to hassle.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:14 PM

Another hint- never say that you are buying w/ cash when negotiating price. They will give you a better deal if you say that you are thinking of financing with them. Then when it comes down to the final price, say that you have cash. The dealer gets the money either way, but they have the possibility to get more when financing.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned

when my parents got thier sequoia, they walked in and told the guy not to bs them. We went and looked at a few and when my dad found the one he liked, he told the guy to give him the best price, no BS involved. we got the "best price" and told him he bs'ed us around so we got up and left. three hours later we recieve a phonecall telling us to come back in. we give it a week and go back in and in my dads hand, he has a check for 10,000. He wrote down a price, which was 37,000 out the door for a sequioa sr5 w/leather. the guy started to hesisate and my dad began to rip the check. the salesman sprung up and ran to his manager. after some more bsing, my dad riped the check some more, then the manager came and talked to us. we got 37,500 out the door. it was great. sorry for the long post
Old 04-04-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by mike_d
what i always do (i've helped a bunch of my friends get good deals also) is do print out a paper with all the options i want listed. i go in, ask for the fleet manager, give him the paper and ask for the best price he can give me. then i leave and go to the next dealership. after i get 3-4 quotes, i call the two best and tell them that they're in the running and if they want to make a better off, now's the time. takes all the stress out of dealing with all the lying salesmen. caution: after you've setteled on a price, you'll go to another guy to sign the papers. this guy will try to talk you into extended warrenties or paint protection, or other crap. say "no" to whatever he offers, it's all crap and pure profit for the dealer.
This is a VERY similar strategy to one I have used very succesfully in the past. Check out this website. . . it works like a champ!

http://www.fightingchance.com/

This website gives you a print out telling you EXACTLY what your dealer paid for not only the truck, but each and every option. Once you compile a list with all the dealer prices on it. . . the fleet manager knows he is dealing with an educated buyer and not some hot-headed know-it-all negotiater. This is all done via fax and you never even step foot in the dealership until the fleet manager calls you to accept your offer! How sweet is that? I found out about this company from a consumer advicate on Atlanta radio about 10 years ago. I am glad I did. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by switchback; 04-04-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:47 PM

Go in there like you are just looking, get some prices... Sounds like you want the Off Road Package right?

Price some things out and then say you will pay $200 above invoice if the truck is on the lot.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

ok heres the deal. I don't know how old you are, but it sounds like your a young guy. Your never going to get the best deal, cause your young, the dealer knows he can manipulate you. Take your dad with you and let him do the talking. sucks I know, but I worked iin toyota sales, I know how the ball bounces.

Also write down the exact truck you want and fax it to all the dealerships you can find and get your best price and then go.

additionally . this is a new truck design, with minimal factory incentives ... your not going to get a sweet deal like you would if it was an 04 model

good luck
Old 04-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

Im getting it for $29k. THey searched all of hte north easter US, and found 1 about an hour away.

Now...my dad is getting pissy about what they want to give him for his truck...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:18 PM

say how much will you give me if i give you cash, when i was about to get the 05 when it first came out i got them down to 27000 in one sentence. I dont know if it was exactly like the one you want but i do know it had all the fixin's

Last edited by Rollindamud; 04-05-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Ok, am I the only one thsty is miffed that his parents are GIVING him 10k?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by frankenrunner
mad-mad props to your pops. that's some bare knuckles, balls out, high noon shiznit!!! ya just got to admire a man who knows how tp play the players. hats off to your dad, be proud that you have him, but understand, you'll NEVER be able to "bs" him.
i mean, props to all("switchback's" 411 is particularly appealing), but dudes dad has got the market cornered in the "brass balls" category.
lol hes a tough one

Quick Reply: Alright men teach this boy how to negotiate pricing....