Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Almost had a fit of rage on the tire shop yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost had a fit of rage on the tire shop yesterday!

So I reluctantly take my rig in yesterday to have a CV axle put in because I just don't have the time to mess with it right now because I'm getting ready for a roadtrip and vacation. Anyways I drop it off and ride my gas powered scooter home. Well 3 hours go by and no phone call so I head back down there and my rig is still on the lift with the axle laying on the floor. I ask them WTF it's an hour job. The kid goes and asks what it's waiting on well.. apperantly the tech put the slip for the part on the table and walked off. Guess no one noticed it sat there for over 2 hours with no one working on it. They didn't order the part till I showed and asked and by that time Napa was closed. I starting getting really pissed and asked to see the boss. He must of had a connection because he said the part will be here shortly. By now it's 630pm and I dropped it off at 3pm. The shop closed at 6. Napa pulled through and they had the new axle back in and off the lift in like 20 minutes. Mananger only charged me an hour of labor and stayed late to finish it himself. They made good in the end and he apologized for the disconnect. So I'm calming down a bit now and head home. First corner I turn to the right I hear this grinding noise coming from the front end. I stuck it in 4WD and it made the mystery noise. I promplty made a U-turn back to the shop but the manager had already left. I babied it home and started an inspection underneath for anything obvious. I noticed the rotor guard didn't look quite right so I got out my pliers and tweaked it a bit. Turns out it was just the rotor making contact with the guard. They musta tweaked it just a hair. I got spun up so fast though when I heard noise! So $229 later I'm fixed. Still gotta get it aligned since they didn't have time to do it last night. Hope that goes well... Anyways had to share my tire shop story of the day.....
Old 07-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Diy

I've decided I'm not letting anybody do anything to my rig that isn't covered under warranty, as I figure I can do it myself or find someone to show me how.

Glad everything worked out. At least they made it right!

Old 07-13-2004, 12:14 PM

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I wouldn't expect much out of a tire shop in terms of quality labor. However, in their defense they did make things right. Most high volume shops could've told you to take a hike and go somewhere else. The manager did the standup thing and went above and beyond to get your vehicle back to you the same day.

I'm not taking sides at all, I've just gotten used to the crappy service at all the places in my area..
Old 07-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UKMyers
Mananger only charged me an hour of labor and stayed late to finish it himself.
Sounds like the manager desrves a little credit for correcting a screwup by one of his mechanics. Granted, it never should have happened in the first place, but at least he fixed the problem, although I think he should have dropped the charged labor to zero myself. I hope he gave the mechanic who was supposed to do the work a good ass chewing, obviously there was a serious lack of communication on his part. So many shops today would have said "tough luck, come back tomorrow".

Last edited by toy283; 07-13-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Ya I was actually really surprised they stayed and finished it. So today the Saga continues. I take it in the for the alignment they were supposed to do yesterday and after 20 minutes they come back in and say we can't align this. Because of the rim protectors on BFG tires their sensors won't go on the wheels. The same manager asks me if I have any other wheels and tires. I say ya I do but they are the same tires only 31's on my stock wheels. He tells me to bring them in when I can they will dismount the BF's off my old steelies, mount something they can use for the alignment then when they are done remount my BFG's and balance them free of cost. I found it kinda fishy they couldn't align it with BF's. The last shop did it.. granted they screwed it up and that's why I'm having it redone but they didn't say anything about my tires. Maybe they have different sensors or something. Anyways I'm starting to get pissed but at least they keep offering a solution. This place is a big chain here in the NW by the way called Alton's Tire. Les Schwab another big chain here won't touch it because of my body lift.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Banned

thats crap, i align trucks all day with bfgs.. all you do is deflate the tire on the rack... then put the clamps on, then reinflate the tire.....

or take the outside clamps off and use the inside if the rim has an outer lip.....

as far as our company, we have ASE certified mechanics.... and i know a lot about cars and still would trust some of the people in my company o work on my car.... we are a large tire shop/chain and we have high caliber people....
Old 07-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks dude I'll run that by them. This has been an ongoing Saga and it's really starting to piss me off. I am going to put 3500 miles on my Runner in the next 3 weeks and need these issues sorted. I have about a zillion other things to do than sit in a tire shop waiting room.