Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

For all you wiring gurus...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all you wiring gurus...

Ok, so get this... I'm going to be towing a trailer here in a few weeks and so I tried hooking up my trailer light hook up to my dad's boat trailer to see if it would work and it was kind-of funky. SO we took the volt meter to it and the running lights work fine, the left flasher/brake works fine, but the right flasher is on the left side also. This is the first time i've used it... Anybody know what it could possibly be?
Old 05-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, so I think we MIGHT havefigured it out...?

Does anyone know if there is a junction box of some sort in the back of our trucks to convert the toyota wiring wiring to american trailer hook-ups? Because my dad used to have a 1st gen and he had to buy a converter box and mount it on his car trailer. We are thinking that toyota got smart and started installing them inside the trucks so we no longer need them.

Thoughts?
Old 05-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

The connector is just 5 pins right: brake, left turn, right turn, tail and ground?
Do your blinkers on your truck work normal when the trailer is hooked up?
I had a trailer harness hooked up when I first got mine but one of the tail light quite working so I pulled the tail light assembles out and checked the wires to find that some one had done a crappy job of wiring it up and some wires had come disconnected.
I'd try following the wires and see if you can find a junction box some where under neath your rig.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:54 PM

Sounds to me like a bad converter box or a wireing problem.
Our toy's need this converter box to take seperate signals from two diffrent bulbs and send it to a single bulb and still have the turn signal on the trailer blink when the brakes are applied. If you find the converter is the problem and are willing to cut and splice the wires you can save some money and purchase a universal converter, the only diffrence the toy specfic part is preterminated with the proper connectors to just plug in inline with the factory harness, if your rig has a factory tow package the converter should be wired in correctly (unless someone else hacked into it)
Old 05-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys!

I went to auto zone and found a wiring thing for tacomas (all of them to 02) and trucks (except the t100) but not mention of runners. Is it the same? I got the cheap universal one since I figured it wouldn't be the same. The box is probably fried since I sank my truck a year ago. :rolleyes: I guess its time to start taking the rear interior apart unless you think it would be mounted on the exterior somewhere under the truck?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:12 AM

If it is a factory job you can either start following the wires, check the FSM, or call the yocal stealership monkeywrench and ask, if it was installed after market your best bet is to start following the wires I whould start at the left tail light assembly (when i was installing this is where we usually put the converter as we never used the plug in converter's always the universal) than move to the right assembly, if it is not there my next spot to look would be in the wireing harness near the rear of the rig