Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

For all Canadians and other cold/snow dwellers....

Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all Canadians and other cold/snow dwellers....

Okay it's cold... really cold. Yeah, it's been colder, but it's still bad. I just want to ask what special preparations everybody does for the winter, or what modifications people make. For example, I've added a dual battery system and a block heater in prep for these hell months. Also, as cold as I think it is I know for a fact there are much worse places; what do those people do as far as vehicles are concerned, or even what are the most common vehicles used in the coldest of the cold (Alaska, northern Canada, etc). Lastly, what have you found as the best driving combination mechanically speaking for slippery/snowy roads? We're talking about your standard rear, posi-traction, and lockers.... obviously 4wd is a plus, but what rear end is least likely to try to slide out from beneath you? I've heard it argued many ways and would just like to hear some more opinions. And for those of you reading this in the south.... DAMN YOU!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always give the truck a good once over, toss osme salt in the back for a little extra weight, spray down the entire undeside with WD-40 and make sure I have some extra supplies in case of a bad stuck.

Any TAD will create tailslide on ice/snow when driven by a fool. 2 lockers or LSDs can make you move straight sideways too. With some practice and a light foot, they will be OK though. I had to learn to drive in snow all over again with my locker, but now i never even notice its there.

Lamm
Old 01-13-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
I always give the truck a good once over, toss osme salt in the back for a little extra weight, spray down the entire undeside with WD-40 and make sure I have some extra supplies in case of a bad stuck.

Any TAD will create tailslide on ice/snow when driven by a fool. 2 lockers or LSDs can make you move straight sideways too. With some practice and a light foot, they will be OK though. I had to learn to drive in snow all over again with my locker, but now i never even notice its there.

Lamm
Two questions for you if you don't mind.

1) What benefit does spraying the underside with WD40 offer?

2) What type of locker do you have? I'm assuming it's a lunchbox (auto locking/unlocking) by the sounds of it. What did you have to do differently driving wise in the snow to get used to driving with the locker?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

your best bet is to leave early, drive slower, leave lots of room between the next person and go easy on the right foot. 4hi is very helpful in getting through the white stuff.

lee
Old 01-14-2005, 03:48 AM

In the fall I give the runner a good clean, check fluids, and oil change. On the cold nights like tonight(-38c), I plug in the block heater. In the mornings let it warm up for a good 5 to 10 minutes before driving. Nothing really special.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:53 AM

Common sense type stuff.

I always have my dealer give my rig a once over before the crappy weather arrives. Make sure brakes, steering, 4wd, etc. are all working properly and not in need of service any time soon. I carry a blanket, flashlight, flares, a heavy hat and heavy gloves incase I get stuck. If I'm not wearing boots, I takes some with me incase something happens. I also carry a tow strap (generally used for pulling others out of the ditch) just in case.

Aside from that, it's just basic winter driving - allow twice as much time to get places, leave twice as much room between you and the other guy... that kind of stuff.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

"Any TAD will create tailslide on ice/snow when driven by a fool. 2 lockers or LSDs can make you move straight sideways too. With some practice and a light foot, they will be OK though. I had to learn to drive in snow all over again with my locker, but now i never even notice its there."

Lately I have been a fool!!! And loving every minute of it - of course I only drive like that when there is no cars around - I can't help having a little fun in the white stuff!!!

I really like my Yokohama M/T's in the snow - they really tear right into it but ice - I am sliding around like the rest!

Take it easy out there and safe driving.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aside from making sure the truck is mechanically in order (ie nothing broken or worn out, good steering, brakes work well and engine purrs like a kitten) I only do a few things different when winter comes around. Main one is just to switch from 10W30 to 5W30 or 0W30 for easier starts. I also recommend some good tires (like Revos or BFGs) if you get into alot of snow or slippery conditions like we do up here. I do recommend (I wish I had one!) a locker (nothing that is always on like a limited slip) if you can get one, but only use it if you are stuck at a dead stop or going straight and never use it on the highway. Lastly I highly suggest a remote starter if you have an auto tranny because you can get the vehicle much more comfortable to drive before braving the cold and it puts less stress on the engine than taking off from a dead stop at -40F. Other than that my vehicle starts and works perfect even in very cold temps many times per year.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

I just received an e-mail from a friend in Ely, MN where the forecast had been to go down to 55-60 below this weekend. It doesn't look like it will get that cold now, but he said that at those temps you just leave your truck running all night!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

boston used to be cold - but now its 65 degrees outside and raining on mount washington - I might head down to the beach later.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:34 AM
lee
Contributing Member

its 53 here in downtown boston.. this is ridiculous.

youre going to the beach in the rain??
Old 01-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

I stick the 4runner in the garage and hook up the dog team.

Finding a parking spot is a pain in the butt though.

What other people said though, common sense stuff. My rig stays the same in summer and winter. I'm running open diffs and mudders.
The backend won't kick out on you as long as you aren't driving like a retard and punching the gas at the wrong times.

As far as common vehicles go... up north it's usually fullsize domestic pickups. There are ALOT of company vehicles up here. Alot of towns are mining and oil towns, that's how they make a living. As far as personal vehicles, nothing really stands out in the crowd. Keep in mind up here we don't have every car dealer under the sun.

We have Ford, Mopar, Subaru/Kia, Nissan, Toyota, GM, Honda. I think that's all you have to choose from here unless you ship a vehicle up from down south.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

we're in the middle of a cold-ass January. We've been above 0 F a few times, but right now were stuck below zero again..... Last week we almost got up to freezing! but my winter routine just involves plugging the truck's block heater in anytime it is not in use. Unless, of course, it's only being parked for an hour or two. I usually only plug it in overnight if I think it will be below 0 F. Sometimes I'll just plug it in for an hour before I start it. I try not to get out of hand with 10+ minute warm-ups or anything (unless my fiancee is coming along... ). 5 minutes, after it has been plugged in all night, works great and the heater is usually at least blowing luke-warm air by the time I get in it.

Also, watch out for rock chips in your windshield! Get them fixed asap, usually insurance covers rock chips/cracks 100%. I recently had a chip with small crack fixed the same morning that I noticed it. They seemed to do a great job, but I see now that the crack is growing again with this bitter cold... cracked windshields seem to be a part of life in Montana.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 01-14-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:59 AM

The WD-40 just helps protect from the tons of salt they put on the roads and it prevents slush from building up on the underside. Sometimes so much has built up it has jamed up the steering and suspension a little. Didn't you ever spray WD-40 on a metal snow shovel to keep the snow from sticking to it?

I have a "lunchbox" locker. Richmond Powertrax Lock-Right. When driving, I always try to shift gears half way through a turn or in general, be light on the throttle unledd you are in a straight line. I can feel the instant it locks up so if I think it may be a problem (like if I'm in a sharp turn/curve) I just clutch for a moment, unload the driveline and go easy on the gas.

With a locked rear end and 2-Hi, you can do some sweet donuts too!

Lamm
Old 01-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

A head-bolt (block) heater is good and so is a dual battery setup. I'm assuming you cleaned your battery terminals real good this fall so you'll get the maxium juice to the starter, it's always a good idea to run 0-30 synthetic (5-30 synthetic is basically the same as 0-30) motor oil (Not a Blend!!) in sub-zero climates and install an electric battery blanket on your main battery. Just make sure your battery doesn't have a heat shield on it prior to putting on the blanket. Doing all this means you're vehicle will start up each and every morning if you have access to 110. If you're out in the boonies overnight just find a "current" bush and plug in.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4mydogs
I just received an e-mail from a friend in Ely, MN where the forecast had been to go down to 55-60 below this weekend. It doesn't look like it will get that cold now, but he said that at those temps you just leave your truck running all night!
Having grown up in MN I'm thinking this really isn't true. The guys with diesel's do just leave them running if they want to use them, but very few people would leave a gas engine idling all night. I can honestly say I never had much of a problem as long as I prep'ed it like others mentioned above, even at -40.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

My boss leaves his 2004 F-150 running all night, even when it's only -25.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scofco

Probably need to do that with a Ford....
Old 01-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MNBOY
Having grown up in MN I'm thinking this really isn't true. The guys with diesel's do just leave them running if they want to use them, but very few people would leave a gas engine idling all night. I can honestly say I never had much of a problem as long as I prep'ed it like others mentioned above, even at -40.
He tells me that he hasn't had to do this yet, as he hasn't seen -40 to -50 (actual temp). He DOES see folks leave their vehicles running while they grocery shop. But several locals, who have lived all their lives there, have told him that when it hits -50, that's SOP. Maybe they just want to grab his rig.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scofco
Except at the gas station, because then he can't get it to fill up