Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alignment

I'm going to have my rig aligned tomorrow and I would like everyones input about Firestone Mastercare Service. Are they good? They have a promotion on lifetime alignment for 120 bux. Normally, they charge 49.99 for an alignment.
By the way, this is after I put on my TJM bumper. Thanks a lot.

George
Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 AM
ts1
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always had great luck with Firestone doing my alignments. I think they have always done a better job than the dealer. After I got my SAWs, I was going to have Firestone do it but when my steering rack issue came up, an alignment was included as part of the steering rack replacement which was done by the dealer. I will have Firestone do my next one.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:14 PM

ts1,
Did you get put additional support when you mounted your winch to your bumper? Can you post a close-up pic of your install? Thanks.

George
Old 07-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

I recently had Firestone align my rig after the suspension installation and was happy with it. I was paying $59 at Tire Factory.

The lifetime program seemed to make sense and the alignment didn't seem to have any probs. They said I could bring it in as often as I want for a free alignment. Because of some of the roads I drive on, that may be often.

Mick
Old 07-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Nam

Alignment,

I though we are supposed to do the alignment once a problem such as uneven tire wears, pulling to the left/right... is it true of we are supposed to do periodic alignment?

Thanks,

Nam
Old 07-20-2003, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Nam, yes you should do an alignment periodically, say once or twice a year depending on how you drive and where. The reason is that you don't want to wait until wear is obvious because it may never be correctable at least with that particular set of tires. Been there, done that

BTW: Welcome to the board!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:55 AM
Nam

Originally posted by 02Runner
Hey Nam, yes you should do an alignment periodically, say once or twice a year depending on how you drive and where. The reason is that you don't want to wait until wear is obvious because it may never be correctable at least with that particular set of tires. Been there, done that

BTW: Welcome to the board!
Oh wow, thanks 02Runner, I will bring them for alighments sometimes soon. with my driving style, unless I do offroad, once a year sounds reasonable!

Thanks once again,

Nam
Old 07-20-2003, 02:34 PM

I would stay away from the lifetime alignment scam. The reason is that you will get a good alignment the first time, then after that who knows. When you go back, the mechanic is working for free. He has no incentive to go out of his way to make sure your truck is properly aligned. You would be better off paying for the service each time.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by PistonSlap
I would stay away from the lifetime alignment scam. The reason is that you will get a good alignment the first time, then after that who knows. When you go back, the mechanic is working for free. He has no incentive to go out of his way to make sure your truck is properly aligned. You would be better off paying for the service each time.
I disagree with this reasoning. I think it all depends on where and who you got to. I always make sure that they are actually working on my rig. I'm not the typical person that sits down on the waiting lounge until called by the service guys. I normally watch them do it . This way, they are not just pretending to work on my rig. Most places allow you to watch their mechanics work on your vehicle. Same thing goes to my tire rotation and balancing. Discount tire does it for me using the Haweka adapter and Hunter GSP 9700 machine right before my eyes. In fact, I built up a good rapport with these guys and they call me when they are about to start work on my rig. They also show me the road force on my tires and ensure they are balanced out correctly.
Just my .02 cents.

George
Old 07-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by george16
ts1,
Did you get put additional support when you mounted your winch to your bumper? Can you post a close-up pic of your install? Thanks.

George
you don't need the steel winch mount frame for the T15 if you got the black one. if you got the aluminum one then you would need to get it to mount the winch.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by keisur
you don't need the steel winch mount frame for the T15 if you got the black one. if you got the aluminum one then you would need to get it to mount the winch.
Thanks. Yes, I got the black one.
For a while, I was surprised to see the T15 from TJM's Australian website has a winch mounted lower than where mine's going to be mounted. Also, underneath were 4 holes on mine whereas there are 5 on the website's pic. Did TJM redesigned the T15's?

George