Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Alarm security system

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm security system

Hey everyone, I just went to the dealor because I wanted to get the rs3000 installed in my 4runner. I know there are better aftermarket systems out there but I really wanted something factory. Thats before I found out how much it cost. They said 225 for parts, the base and install kit, (which isnt too bad), but then they told me it would take 3 and a half hours and cost 300 bucks for install!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it really take that long and cost that much?!?!?!? Or are they trying to rip me off??? Anybody have experience with this?? So now I'm starting to look at aftermarket alarms and if anybody here has any suggestions for something good thats not too expensive but not too cheap, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 PM

I myself have an Alpine alarm and it's not too bad. It's reliable and has a shock sensor.
If I were to buy another I'd either go for a Viper, Alpine or Prestige (?).
Good luck.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HenryV,

My RS3000 brain unit was busted when I bought my used 98. I wanted a simple, easy replacement. Fortunately one of the members on this forum was selling his so I got it for $100.

I wrote a write up on how to program the alarm remote. On that page, you will see two pdfs for the alarm system. One is the install manual and the other is the operation manual. Both provided by HaveBlue.

Take a look at the install manual and see if its w/n your install capabilities. It doesnt look too difficult b/c most of it plugs into the existing factory plugs.

http://www.4runners.org/articles/rs3000

Edit: one more thing: check ebay and search "toyota alarm". You might find the RS3200 for the same price, if not cheaper.

Bob
Old 03-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with Bob, I have gone through my RS alarm and it doesn't look like the install would be too hard. Pretty much plug and play. Other than running the wires under the carpet, it looks easy.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed my own aftermarket alarm with the starter kill. Once you figure out if you have a grounding switch or a hot switch for everything it's not too bad. (Also once you figure out what everything does it's not too bad) Extremely tedious however. It took me the better part of an entire day to install mine.

Then again it was my first alarm install - the funny part is I relocated the brain and antenna to behind the instrument cluster and now my remote will arm and disarm the alarm at over 50yards! Not bad for a 60 dollar investment.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Smile

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Well from what I've seen from you guys so far and from the install instructions from Bob, I'm leaning towards getting whatever alarm I get professionally installed. I didnt figure installing an alarm would be so time consuming and complicated!! (well for someone like me who has never installed an alarm before). May be more expensive to get it done professionally but I think it would be worth it for knowing it was correctly installed and for the protection it would offer my truck. Anybody out there get their alarm professionally installed and remembers how much it cost them? Thanks all.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:59 PM

You don't live in az by chance do you?

fyi, I charge $75 to install a normal alarm, and $125 for a remote start. Liftetime warranty. I am also a DEI dealer, and I can get you smoking deals on all the new DEI stuff.

554t remote start w/pager system Rf two way ~ $210.00

553t remote start ~ $149.00

732t basic alarm ~ $99.00

I only use brand new in box alarms...
Old 03-11-2003, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
...I am also a DEI dealer, and I can get you smoking deals on all the new DEI stuff....
How about 4 1100d's?
Old 03-11-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about (2) 530T's (Window Modules). Both of mine were acting up, so they pulled them to send to DEI for "repair" ($$). He said they (DEI) might just replace them. Installed by a DEI dealer 3 years ago.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:52 PM

Honestly Cebby, I use another window mod that works SOOO much better than the crappy ass dei ones...and they're only $15 bux each way, two windows!!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Oh man I just looked up the 554t's and they are freaking cool. They seem way better than the stock toyota security systems. Phx, your prices and rates also seem way more manageable than the I think 550 or so for parts plus install quote I got from my local toyota. Too bad I live in Cali and Not Az tho. haha. Oh well. Hey do you know if there is something like the 554t but with out remote start? I dont really need that and maybe it could be cheaper? Just wondering. thanks. Imma consider the 554t. Now I gotta find a good local shop.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:33 PM

I don't think there is a pager 554t style out yet w/out the remote start But, just get it, well worth it, trust me
Old 03-12-2003, 06:15 AM

Honestly Cebby, I use another window mod that works SOOO much better than the crappy ass dei ones...and they're only $15 bux each way, two windows!!
You've got my interest!! Who makes the $15 unit? I currently have a a 550ESP (alarm and integral remote start), 2 of the 530's for the door windows and a 529 for the tailgate window. These guys wired all the window modules with 18ga wire, so everything runs S L O W. I was planning to pull the alarm this summer and rewire it with bigger ga wire for the window mods. Are these $15 units strong enough for the tailgate window and sunroof? The DEI units are marginal at best.

I just got a 2003 Alpine catalog - what do you think of their alarms? I would need a separate manufacturer for the remote start and window mods.

On a separate issue, I got a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple of months ago. It has the factory alarm on it. Can I integrate a remote start and window roll up into this? I was thinking I could get into the alarm brain and trace the circuit for the "panic" function and use that button for the remote start. What are your thoughts on this? THe reason I ask is because the alarm integrates with the overhead vehicle information center. Curious to know what you think.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:42 AM

OK..*takes a deap breathe*

First of all, I can't remember the manufacturer on them, but I assure you you will be impressed. I have installed about 2 dozen of these mods, without a single one stopping half way, or being slower than factory. Second, they should easily be able to roll up the back window, as its only 12v to the motor, and I've used them on old chevy's already, which have rediculously large windows. Now, I would stay away from Alpine alarms. They definately have a cool siren, but thats about where the "coolness" stops. They definately require more maintenence to keep working properly, as the shock sensors are all programmed by remote ~ if anything gets reset (i.e. battery dead) then you have to go and reprogram everything. ~ not fun. Now, the Cherokee, they can be done..but do require a bit higher level of install. You will also need a 455J mod from DEI to interface with all the "jeep" functions as they are mostly data wires running through that car. I can get you a printout of the alarm database for that car if need be. I'd post it here, but the thing is two full pages long. For that car I would seriously look at the 554t, its a great alarm, with tons of cool new functions. You can also do windows on that car, but of course you get to deal with getting into each of the front two doors ~ then you will be able to get the rear doors in each kickpanel. I'm not showing any wiring info on the sunroof ~ and that usually means that DEI does not reccommend doing it, and usually for good reason.

p.s. Use 10-12 gauge into each door so you don't have any voltage drop.

btw- the prices I showed on the actual alarms are what I'll give the yotatech members only, it is what I actually pay ~ i.e. no profit here, just trying to help some of you guys out!
Old 03-12-2003, 08:08 AM

Now, the Cherokee, they can be done..but do require a bit higher level of install. You will also need a 455J mod from DEI to interface with all the "jeep" functions as they are mostly data wires running through that car. ...For that car I would seriously look at the 554t, its a great alarm, with tons of cool new functions. You can also do windows on that car, but of course you get to deal with getting into each of the front two doors ~ then you will be able to get the rear doors in each kickpanel.
Will I be able to still use my factory remote? Will the info still get to the VIC? Now, I can change the light flash and horn honk thru the VIC.

I'd like to get some other info from you also. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks!!
Old 03-12-2003, 05:13 PM

remote start

I had the same alarm installed in my 954Runner and in my 91 Accord EX. I had the remote start ioption nstalled in the EX and everyone laughed at it - until the first wet windy day when I started it up from inside the house to let it warm-up. Then my wife said "thats nice dear" -ah well, don't get to may of those concerning car/4Runner around my house.
IMHO the remote is a nice feature.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:57 PM

You don't live in az by chance do you?

fyi, I charge $75 to install a normal alarm, and $125 for a remote start. Liftetime warranty. I am also a DEI dealer, and I can get you smoking deals on all the new DEI stuff.

554t remote start w/pager system Rf two way ~ $210.00

553t remote start ~ $149.00

732t basic alarm ~ $99.00

I only use brand new in box alarms...
Hey PhxTRDRunner. I was just wondering is the Hornet 554t one of the best alarms out there now? DEI has SO MANY different alarms that its hard to tell which is better than others. Can you let me know what is one of the better pager alarms? Thanks