Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alarm question

I bought a '92 4runner with a viper alarm with a 529t control box that rolls my windows up when the alarm is armed. A few days ago the alarm stoped working. The panick button works but the alarm will not go off if the doors are opened. It will still open the locks and roll the windows up but with no alarm im worried about my subwoofer in the back. Im also broke so anybody who has any ideas im open to anything. If anymore info is needed let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:43 PM

Asking the obvious -- did you check to make sure all the wires are connected and not broken or shorted?
Old 10-24-2003, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

My clifford crapped out about a week ago. It was the weirdest thing. The first thing to not work was the dis-arm. It would arm, start and stop but not dis-arm. Quite annoying! Haven't had a chance to take it in yet. grrrrrrr You would think a $400 alarm wouldn't do this to you. Oh well, i didn't pay full price
Old 10-24-2003, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turboale - try the remote battery first. I get weird stuff happening on mine when the batteries start to go...

Scooby - does it go off if you hit the a-pillar with your fist (shock sensor)? Might just be the wire to the pin switch got disconnected, or the pin switch went bad. Could even be that the molex into the alarm brain pulled out partially. Or the alarm is bypassing that "zone" if had been falsing...

Give those some thought...
Old 10-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

I checked all the connections and discovered 4 of them held together with SCOTCH tape. Horrible instalation and a big ball of wires doesnt help as far as i can tell all connections are good. As far as the sensor i dont know where it is because the alarm only went off if the door opened and not if the trucked was touched. Ive also noticed a lot of static electricity lately and EVERY time i get out i shock myself. Could that be a problem?
Old 10-25-2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by scubasteve83
I checked all the connections and discovered 4 of them held together with SCOTCH tape. Horrible instalation and a big ball of wires doesnt help as far as i can tell all connections are good. As far as the sensor i dont know where it is because the alarm only went off if the door opened and not if the trucked was touched. Ive also noticed a lot of static electricity lately and EVERY time i get out i shock myself. Could that be a problem?
The static electricity could be because of low humidity.

I wonder if you've had a problem all along and never knew it. The wires sound like a mess and they ought to be straightened out with electrical tape and connectors.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:36 AM

I know DEI stuff has lifetime warranty on their Brains for their alarms. If you go to a DEI dealer (just about any car stereo shop) they can replace that for you.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

thanks for the help. I may just wait to get a new alarm.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:37 PM

Re: alarm question

I bought a '92 4runner with a viper alarm with a 529t control box that rolls my windows up when the alarm is armed. A few days ago the alarm stoped working. The panick button works but the alarm will not go off if the doors are opened. It will still open the locks and roll the windows up but with no alarm im worried about my subwoofer in the back. Im also broke so anybody who has any ideas im open to anything. If anymore info is needed let me know. Thanks in advance.
Sounds to me like your alarm is in valet mode (solid led). Without looking at it, it's kinda tough to say? if it was professionally installed there should be a fuse holder under the hood at the battery. There are plenty of qualified DEI (Viper) retailers in the Denver area that can check it out for you.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:01 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

The led light is on all the time now so im guessing thats whats wrong just have to figure out how to fix that hpefully it will work
Old 10-26-2003, 06:11 PM

The led light is on all the time now so im guessing thats whats wrong just have to figure out how to fix that hpefully it will work
Depending on how old and or what Viper alarm you have the easiest way to get it out of valet it to open a door and press, lock-unlock-lock on the remote it should come out of valet that way. The other way is to find your valet button, turn your ignition on then off and press the valet button once. Older models only had a switch one way was on and the other way was off. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:48 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

there was a little switch on the driverside kick panel and it always worked in wierd ways. If it was on the alarm would work if it was off the alarm would work when it wanted too maybe the switch stopped working. I took it out and unhooked the wires and left it like that and the alarm didntr work so i put them together and it still doesnt work. Do you know if there has to be a valet switch. When Bought the truck it had no owners manual or any info for the alarm so I really dont know anything about it but im teaching myself. How do you know so much about alarms.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:28 PM

there was a little switch on the driverside kick panel and it always worked in wierd ways. If it was on the alarm would work if it was off the alarm would work when it wanted too maybe the switch stopped working. I took it out and unhooked the wires and left it like that and the alarm didntr work so i put them together and it still doesnt work. Do you know if there has to be a valet switch. When Bought the truck it had no owners manual or any info for the alarm so I really dont know anything about it but im teaching myself. How do you know so much about alarms.
If it was a switch and not a button, that's your ploblem disconnect the two wires from each other and then turn your truck to the run position then back off. If that switch was for the alarm the led should turn off after you do that, at that point your alarm should work if all is connected properly else where.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

Thanks a lot guys my alarm is working again and its all because of you guys