Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

!$#@!!!! (AKA Rear 3rd gen 4runner suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry !$#@!!!! (AKA Rear 3rd gen 4runner suspension)

Question... granted its raining and I cant get a good look, but looking at the rear stock shock.. following it up to find the bolt at the top.... and it disappears into a metal bulge that hangs down... where and how do i get to the bolt?

Ducky who is really confused..
Old 05-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Its up there alright. I doubt you'll actually be able to see it, but you can feel for it. That's the only crappy part about changing the rear shocks.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:58 PM

If you look real close you can see that you can gain access on the side of the bulge you are talking about. It is very tricky to get a wrench on the nut, but it can be done.

It helps to remove the spare.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Haha! You aren't done with the last of those words:

I fear the day when I have to redo mine.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:56 PM

One more thing...

I received some sound advice on this board prior to installing my lift and it paid off BIG TIME!

Spray those bolts w/ PB Blaster once a day for 5 days straight. I had no problems getting them off. Or to be totally honest my friends had no problem taking them off. I made myself look busy on the front shocks just so I didn't have to climb up under there and do some weird yoga position in order to get the wrench back there.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:04 PM

I'm going to be helping Ducky here install all this on Friday. I don't have a 4Runner, but from what I can see from pics on the web, looks like you have to get something like locking pliers up there to hold the shaft from rotating, and then get a wrench on the nut. Where a normal socket and ratchet wouldn't work cause you are gripping the top of the shaft with a pair of locking pliers. What about using a box end ratcheting wrench? Wouldn't that work? I don't know how much room is up there to actually swing the wrench, but the ones I have seen at Sears have as small as a 5 degree movement for the ratcheting action. Would this work out well?
Old 05-14-2003, 05:28 PM

Tight spot working those nuts loose.
Best way I have found is to have a buddy hold the nut with a ratchet wrench while you use a strap wrench to turn the shocks.
You will need to use PB to loosen those nuts though.

Ive done this a couple of times and it works great this way.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't have a wrachet wrench when we did mine, but what worked for me (and others) was to put a socket up there, brace it aginst the frame, and then use a strap wrench to turn the shock out.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:29 PM

Just did mine two days ago...P I T A !!!! Haha, I didn't do anything prior to help it out, and I paid dearly!!! I used channel locks on the shock and a flexible socket wrench to turn the bolt off.

Install was much easier!!! Worth it too, I can't believe the ride quality difference. Did both front and rear and WOW, not only did my phantom sounds go away, but I don't hit the roof with any little bump!

Have fun!
Old 06-01-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by smr4runner
Tight spot working those nuts loose.
Best way I have found is to have a buddy hold the nut with a ratchet wrench while you use a strap wrench to turn the shocks.
You will need to use PB to loosen those nuts though.

Ive done this a couple of times and it works great this way.
Old thread, but just so everyone knows, with 2 people, this is easily done. We dropped the spare tire, then I crawled up under the truck. I'm short enough to where I could basically sit under the truck without having to hunch too much. I held the top nut with a socket, and Ducky used a strap wrench to turn out the shock. Thanks for that great suggestion!
Old 06-01-2003, 02:25 PM

Cool. Glad it worked out for you guys.
Ducky's rig looks damn beefy now.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Hey phxtrd,
how tall are you?? I definately have that problem too! I'm 6ft 8!

Glad you got everything in all right! Nothing like saving a few bucks and doing it yourslef! Did you do the fronts too? How did you do it phx? We couldn't find a sprint compressor that would work. After trying three, I gave up and took it to a shop.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by turboale
Hey phxtrd,
how tall are you?? I definately have that problem too! I'm 6ft 8!

Glad you got everything in all right! Nothing like saving a few bucks and doing it yourslef! Did you do the fronts too? How did you do it phx? We couldn't find a sprint compressor that would work. After trying three, I gave up and took it to a shop.
I'm about 5ft 7. Fronts were easy, well bolting them in was easy. Got the Sway-A-Ways up front. Tough part was cranking those up. But I didn't have to do it, since it was Ducky's truck. I just supervised that part.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
I didn't have a wrachet wrench when we did mine, but what worked for me (and others) was to put a socket up there, brace it aginst the frame, and then use a strap wrench to turn the shock out.
That is the easiest way. Once the factory metal stover lock nuts are gone, it's east to change the shocks. God knows I have way too many times.