Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

aisin hubs question

Old 05-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aisin hubs question

are they supposed to make that loud ratcheting noise when free-wheelin? or is something wrong. you cant hear it with the windows up but when they are down its pretty loud.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:32 PM

No, they are not supposed to make that noise. Make sure you lined the spring up just right. Mine did that when I rebuilt it on my turbo runner. Also, is your dial flush with the hub or does it protrude out a little bit? Do not keep driving with the hubs unlocked if it makes that noise. Most likely, your sprocket that's connected to the spring that gets pushed into the axle end is rubbing on the cog or axle end. That leads me to believe your spring's not lined up. Does it make the noise on both sides or just one side?

Salue
Old 05-07-2003, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

yea i took the inner gears out when i heard that noise, ive read three different writeups on how to put the things together, but its not working out very well. the one side that actually locks and frees up from the driveline is the one making the noise. the other side i cant get to disengague at all, even if i install it in free mode and dont ever move it to lock. im so lost, ive followed the directions to the letter.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:46 PM

Just to make sure, did you pick these hubs off of another Toy. yourself or did you order them or win them? The reason I ask is because the manual hubs for the solid axle Toys are slightly different. The sprocket is a little bit thicker and would also cause it to make that rubbing noise. You can always check that both sprockets are the same width. That was the reason I asked if the dials on the hub protrude at all.

Salue

I'm sure you've done this as well but, you do have the end of the spring lined up in the right spot right? I'll look for a pic online to show the line-up of the spring. But, most likely you've looked at it a bunch of times as well.

Edit: I don't know if this is one of the sites you followed, but it's out of the FSM. Aisins
Take a look at step 4 of the assembly, make sure the spring that goes into the sprocket is like that...Even though the picture doesn't show it well, make sure the the spring is sitting on top of the two shorter notches, rather than under it...It took me a couple of times to finally line it up right and have it sitting on both notches. Good luck.

Last edited by Salue; 05-07-2003 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

i ordered the hubs from yotayard.com i told them my make and model so i assume they sent me the proper hubs. yes ive seen that article and im very sure i have both springs aligned properly. ill get some pics up when i get a chance. for now im just leaving the inner part of the hubs separate till i can get this figured out. its exam time (college student) so im pretty busy, but this is just so annoying. the idea behind the hubs is sooo simple, it amazes me how they refuse to work.

the article you posted was the original one i used to break-down/clean the hubs when they arrived. since then ive read this site and also this site

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 05-07-2003 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:54 PM

Man 0 Man not again

Hello,
I also ordered my hubs from Yotayard and had a problem. What I got was the hubs that fit my 95 4Runner and covers from the solid axel version when I needed the IFS version. The covers were the difference - in fact it was the prawl plate and the clutch gear that were the difference. I found that the ears on the prawl plate that the tension spring hook under were about an 8th inch longer than the IFS unit while the gear itself was about a 16th inch bigger. This is not obvious to look at but when you have the right parts the clutch gear and extension spring are tight against the underside of the cover/knob - you can not move them closer. If you can you have the wrong parts - it happens. If so call Yotayard and talk to Tim (I think that is his name) and tell him you are having a problem. They sent another set that same day.
I spent almost every night for 10 days trying to make it work and was thinking I was mental because of it.
Good Luck