Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Airaid mod on my 98 4runner

Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airaid mod on my 98 4runner

Hey guys, this is my first posting on this site. I've enthusicatically read all of your postings on this site not knowing about all the mods you can do to a 4 Runner, so needless to say, Awesome site!

I completed my first mod on my 4Runner last night, I installed the Airaid Jr. intake and air filter, and only in an hour's time! I also cleaned out the throttle body while I had the intake tube off as well (thanks Bob_98SR5). The performance is noticeable as soon as you hit the gas, better response. I don't know about gas mileage, I am going fill up my tank and reset trip miles.

My 4Runner is a 98 4x4 SR5 V6 152K miles.

I bought a deckplate yesterday as well, and hopefully this weekend I will get installed, does anyone know if the deckplate will give better performance with the upgraded intake?

Thnks alot for the info!

Last edited by saulgoode; 05-25-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:29 AM

Did you get just the intake tube portion. I have wanted to see a pic of this for a while, I am kind leery about doing it since I cant find a good pic of it online. It's basically a high end version of the ISR mod right? Welcome to the site by the way!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

It was the Airaid Jr. so it came with the intake tube and air filter, they also threw in a free cleaning kit, bonus! Sorry no pics, I finshed last night so it was to dark to take pics, I will get some posted this evening when I get home from work. It looks really nice after it was installed, and fairly simple to install as well!

Here is a link to the website: http://www.airaid.com/510-734_toyota.asp

And by the way, it is stated that this for years 99-02, my 4 runner is a 98 and I had no problem putting mine on.

Last edited by saulgoode; 05-25-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 AM

Nice, that just fits right up to your stock airbox right? Basically takes out the bulky tube that connects the throttlebody to the airbox? Have you noticed a difference so far, more power?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

The tube fits right into stock air box and directly into the throttle body, tighten down the clamps and replace the vaccum tubes that come with the kit and your ready to go. The response after I hit the gas is noticeable. I wasn't expecting to be thrown into my seat, but also on the freeway, it felt like i didn't have to press down on the gas pedal as much to get to crusing speed (75mph). So I think the mod was definitely worth it. After I run a tank of gas or 2, I'll post my mileage.

After I put in the deckplate, my next mod will be installing a magnaflow with larger pipes.

Last edited by saulgoode; 05-25-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 AM

awesome, I see there isnt a price on the site, any idea of a cost if you don't mind. Wonderful info, think I'll pick one up, been wanting to for a while now.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

I got mine on ebay for 120.00. Originally they were asking 140.00, but they took my original offer, I guess I should submitted a lower offer first. I;m not sure what other manufactuerers prices would be though.

I think you'll be pleased with the performance if you do get one.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saulgoode
I bought a deckplate yesterday as well, and hopefully this weekend I will get installed, does anyone know if the deckplate will give better performance with the upgraded intake?
This is kindofa double-ended answer. (btw, welcome to YT!)

The Airaid won't give you more power, it will increase your throttle response, but I think you allude to knowing that later on in the thread here.

The deckplate mod will let more air into the intake, which is a good thing 'cause the 3.4L as mounted in our rigs is pretty well starved for air. Once you let more air in, then the ECU will react by richening the fuel mixture, which will net you more power. The _additional_ air flow will come with or without the Airaid tube.

The Airaid will definitely smooth out the path for the air, and reduce the volume that air has to fill before it hits the TB, which is what gives you better throttle response.

In addition, you'll get to HEAR the air coming in. (drives some people nuts though...)

Originally Posted by JHupp
Nice, that just fits right up to your stock airbox right? Basically takes out the bulky tube that connects the throttlebody to the airbox?
Like you've heard about in the other thread it fits to the TB and the MAF with rubber adapters and hose clamps. With the stock MAF, it just fits right in... No mods required.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
This is kindofa double-ended answer. (btw, welcome to YT!)

The Airaid won't give you more power, it will increase your throttle response, but I think you allude to knowing that later on in the thread here.

The deckplate mod will let more air into the intake, which is a good thing 'cause the 3.4L as mounted in our rigs is pretty well starved for air. Once you let more air in, then the ECU will react by richening the fuel mixture, which will net you more power. The _additional_ air flow will come with or without the Airaid tube.

The Airaid will definitely smooth out the path for the air, and reduce the volume that air has to fill before it hits the TB, which is what gives you better throttle response.

In addition, you'll get to HEAR the air coming in. (drives some people nuts though...)

Like you've heard about in the other thread it fits to the TB and the MAF with rubber adapters and hose clamps. With the stock MAF, it just fits right in... No mods required.
Midiwall

I read that post prior to doing the airaid intake mod, I saw that you had a 96 4Runner and put the airaid MIT on your truck. I was trying to do intake mod that was in the Tech section, but I could not find a 99 or higher intake to install with the custom built tube, so I broke down and bought the airaid mit.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:42 PM

Midiwall

I read that post prior to doing the airaid intake mod, I saw that you had a 96 4Runner and put the airaid MIT on your truck. I was trying to do intake mod that was in the Tech section, but I could not find a 99 or higher intake to install with the custom built tube, so I broke down and bought the airaid mit.
Hi!

I think you missed the point that I was responding to two different people in that last post. Sorry about that.

I was aiming at JHupp in the 2nd half... That other thread had his answers in it.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Hi!

I think you missed the point that I was responding to two different people in that last post. Sorry about that.

I was aiming at JHupp in the 2nd half... That other thread had his answers in it.
No prob, I can't wait to get the deckplate in this weekend to help the overall performance.

Do you think it's worth getting the throttle body spacer as well? I've seen mixed opinions. I'm wondering if I should get that next or save my money and get an exhaust?

Last edited by saulgoode; 05-25-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=saulgoode]

Do you think it's worth getting the throttle body spacer as well?QUOTE]

No.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
Do you think it's worth getting the throttle body spacer as well?
No.
Oh dear gawd man... DO NOT put a TB spacer on that truck! (search for why you got such a strong response )

The physics behind a TB spacer _will_ work on a carbureted engine, but it will NOT work on a direct injection engine like ours. The swirling that the diagrams show you are fine to think about when fuel is shot into the airstream as it comes flying into the intake manifold, it _will_ mix it up more. But that's not what happens on our engines. Our engines inject fuel straight into the cylinder, the "mixing" happens a split second before the explosion.

I ran a TB spacer for a bout two years. I SWORE UP AND DOWN that it helps smooth out a bump that I had in acceleration. It may have, but ONLY because it added an inch more "volume" to the air intake. But the whole swirling thing - nah, it's a joke. It won't make a difference.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=36444
Old 05-25-2006, 06:10 PM

You've been asking for pics for a while, across a couple of different threads... I finally took some of mine.

(click for larger pics)

Your engine compartment will probably be a bit cleaner than mine, and the connection to your MAF will look different - that's a Supra MAF. The Airaid tube comes with a adapter for that end that has a "bubble" of sorts in it.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Did you get just the intake tube portion. I have wanted to see a pic of this for a while, I am kind leery about doing it since I cant find a good pic of it online. It's basically a high end version of the ISR mod right? Welcome to the site by the way!
I'll get the pics of the intake tube on here eventually, I'm trying to find the darn cable for my digital camera!

Last edited by saulgoode; 05-25-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:13 AM

You've been asking for pics for a while, across a couple of different threads... I finally took some of mine.

(click for larger pics)

Your engine compartment will probably be a bit cleaner than mine, and the connection to your MAF will look different - that's a Supra MAF. The Airaid tube comes with a adapter for that end that has a "bubble" of sorts in it.
Nice, I really wanted to make sure that it mounted up to everything stock before I purchased it. My compartments is a bit cleaner, but not by much. Looks good! Thanks for the pics!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:27 AM

hey mark what brand of wires are those? Did they net you any appreciable gains over the stockers or the blue NGK's.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by 984RNR
hey mark what brand of wires are those? Did they net you any appreciable gains over the stockers or the blue NGK's.
heh... I KNEW someone would ask about those!

They're 8mm wires from Wires4Cars who, from the dead web link, I would say is now out of business. I got them 2 years ago, they were $50ish shipped.

Ummm, it's hard to say if I had gains because of those or not. At the time, I knew I needed wires, so there's the kick you get from just replacing them at all. I also got them while I was running a stock ignition system along with my piggyback and pre-SC. Soooo... I had some toys going on, but not like I do now.

My general feeling these days is that if you think/know you need wires, then you might as well get something larger than the stock 6's. I think 9's are overkill, but the 8's are fine.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Finally got the pics downloaded and here they are! Friggin sweet! Even included the piece that I took out. The intake tube looks out of place with it being so clean and the engine so dirty, cleaning it up will be one of my future projects.
Attached Thumbnails Airaid mod on my 98 4runner-airaid1.jpg   Airaid mod on my 98 4runner-airaid2.jpg   Airaid mod on my 98 4runner-airaid3.jpg  

Last edited by saulgoode; 05-26-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airaid mod on my 98 4runner