Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air Suspension Bags and K&N

Old 01-02-2003, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Suspension Bags and K&N

Hi everyone.....

I want to know what type of performance a K&N Filter Charger would have on my 3L, AT, 1995 4 runner Limited. Are K&N's worth the hassle?????

I also want to know anyone's experience with air suspension bags to fix the "saggy 4runner"... This vehicle is my wife's transportation for bad weather, so it will rarely travel off the pavement (what a waste). I have been looking at the air lift system from jc-whitney...

I am the proud owner of 4 RED Toyota's.

1986 4x4 5spd 178K (22re)
1987 4Runner 5spd (22re) 144k
1995 Toyota Celica GT (5fse) 100k
1995 Toyota 4Runner Limited AT,(3L) 75K

Thanks for the insight and guess what color hair my wife has??

Mike
Old 01-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Mike welcome to the forum. Your going to get a lot of mixed opinions by people with the K&N's. All the 3rd Gen Guys will dog them because they are set on Amsoil products which is not available for the 3.0. I have always ran K&N products in my motorcycles and snowmobiles and I guarantee they seen more dirt, dust, and harsh conditions than my 4Runner ever will. Anyways as far as perfomance gains they are noticable but nominal. Some don't feel anything. I noticed mine was just a bit more responsive to the throttle and the airbox sounds a bit diffrent now.

For the second part of your question if you are looking to just soley get rid of your a$$ sag then you have several options. One is just coil spring spacers, another would be the airbag set up. With these you may or may not have problems with it down the road. For a sure way to fix it forever Downey makes some Heavy Duty aftermarket coils that I have just installed and it lifted up my rear end 2" and makes it ride much more stable. Here's a post with before and after pics of mine. This route is a bit more expensive than the others but well worth it IMO. Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:06 PM

Hi Mike. Just sold a '98 Limited that had 75K miles on it. When I bought it new, I installed Air Lift air bags in the rear to level the 4,000# trailer I towed. They were great: cheap, easy to install and completely trouble-free. When I wanted to tow, I'd just pump up the bags to 22 psi, then bleed it back to 5 psi when I was done. Air Lift also offers a kit with a compressor and an under-dash pressure gauge so you can trim out your rig any time you choose.

Our new '03 'Runner has the auto-leveling air suspension in the back. It's nice, but it cost like 10X what the Air Lift bags cost and doesn't do all that much more.

http://www.airliftcompany.com/
Old 01-02-2003, 05:37 PM

I actually run a3rd gen with a K&N and haven't seen any difference.. Filters are not going to give you any "real" difference in the way your truck drives. If you Dyon'd it, it might make a little difference, but not much you can tell just from changing the filter. the only difference is you don't have to replace it as often...just clean it after 40,0000 miles, or after some dirty offroading (which you said won't happen) and it's good as new!

Mike

GO BOILERS!! F NOTRE DAME! F USC!!!! GO BIG TEN!!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 05:53 PM

Air Lift's

Were those airlift bags the kind that go into the coil springs?

So you opted not to get the compressor? How would you recommend getting them. In the whole 180 dollar kit from whitney, or just the bags themselves?

Thanks,

Mike

Originally posted by khaug
Hi Mike. Just sold a '98 Limited that had 75K miles on it. When I bought it new, I installed Air Lift air bags in the rear to level the 4,000# trailer I towed. They were great: cheap, easy to install and completely trouble-free. When I wanted to tow, I'd just pump up the bags to 22 psi, then bleed it back to 5 psi when I was done. Air Lift also offers a kit with a compressor and an under-dash pressure gauge so you can trim out your rig any time you choose.

Our new '03 'Runner has the auto-leveling air suspension in the back. It's nice, but it cost like 10X what the Air Lift bags cost and doesn't do all that much more.

http://www.airliftcompany.com/
Old 01-02-2003, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N

There are two different routes to go with K&N.

The first is the "drop-in" type that uses the standard airbox (Filter Charger). I had one of these, and I noticed a slight improvement. I've had them on an '87 Celica GTS DOHC 2.0, '96 Dodge Dakota w/5.2 V8, '00 Nissan Maxima w/3.0 V6, and my '93 4Runner. I think the smaller engines benefit more from these IMO.

The second is the FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit?). This unit replaces the airbox and some of the intake plumbing to improve the engine breathing dramatically. Big improvement off the line and through the usable powerband, and slight improvement in the upper RPM range. Two drawbacks - 1. Noisy, 2. Exposed Element. The noise, at idle, sounds like a whooshing sound (air being sucked in) when you get on it, it sounds like a muscle car (OK, maybe not that good...but close). The exposed element is only a problem if you go mudding to the extent that you get alot of mud in your engine compartment or you like fording deep streams. I do a fair amount of mudding and I've never gotten that much mud on it. It's easy enough to clean anyway, one big hose clamp holds it on. Now they make a "sock" to slip over it to further protect it from excessive mud/dust.

I've been very happy with the FIPK. I truly realized the potential of the FIPK when I added a Borla cat-back stainless exhaust.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:52 PM

I purchased the Air Lift Outback 1000 kit from Performance Products, and I'm very happy with it. I mounts inside your rear springs, and all you need to install them is a spring compressor, which only ran me $30. It has the compressor, minimum pressure regulator (5psi), and I mounted the gauge inside my glove compartment, which seems perfect to me! They recommend that you pump up the bags to full pressure (35psi), load your truck down with trailer or whatever, then deflate till the truck is at a level riding position.

I also have the performance products 1" taller progressive rate springs, which made my truck ride considerable better in addition to the air bags. Overall, I'm very happy with the air bags, and I normally run them at the minimum pressure of 5 psi, which is automatically regulated by the low pressure regulator.

They claim you'll have some pressure loss on the first day, but mine had been air tight! Good luck!
Old 01-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

I put a K&N filter in my '97 SR5, it made it a bit more responsive, but nothing to really by psyched about. If I could do it over again, I would have purchased the K&N kit that replaces the entire airbox. Maybe in a year or so, when I get my money's worth on this one.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:16 PM

Air Lifts

Hi Mike.

Were those airlift bags the kind that go into the coil springs?

Yep.

So you opted not to get the compressor? How would you recommend getting them. In the whole 180 dollar kit from whitney, or just the bags themselves?

Depends. I have a garage compressor, so couldn't see paying the extra bucks and undertaking the hassle of installing the onboard compressor. I'm pleased with the route I took. I have to admit, the onboard compressor would be convenient if you don't mind the modest expense and extra work to install it.

BTW, I installed my air bags by letting the axle hang down as far as it would go, then folding up the bags and stuffing them into the springs through the gap between the coils. Probably saved several hours doing this, as the instructions recommended removing the springs. You should be aware that if your truck has the jounce bumpers inside the coils, they'll have to be removed.

I interconnected the two bags and ran the air tubing through the frame and crossmember to keep it out of harm's way. And I found a pre-drilled hole at the bottom of the left rear quarter panel, just behind the mud flap, that perfectly fit the Schrader valve you use to fill the bags.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:51 AM

What year model 4runner has the "jounce" bumper in the springs? I have a 2000 Limited, and have decided on the Airlift 1000 Outback special package (bags with onboard compressor/regulator)... am trying to figure out whether I should go at this myself, or hire somebody to install the kit.

Have a lot of experience with stereo/electrical, but NONE with suspension...and am worried I could get in over my head.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cal
Old 01-21-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help you on the tech issues, but I just gotta say: I LOVE A MEMBER WHO SEARCHES AND BRINGS AN OLD THREAD BACK TO THE TOP TO ADD TO IT!!!!

Makes it much easier when searching later to have alot of info in one place! Nice job!!!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Air Suspension Bags and K&N

Originally posted by Hokiez97
Hi everyone.....

I also want to know anyone's experience with air suspension bags to fix the "saggy 4runner"

guess what color hair my wife has??

Mike
Welcome!

PM bamachem. He used some TRD air bags in one of his 4Runners to combat rear end sag and they were pretty cheap and worked well.

Redhead. I get asked all the time these days "what do you put on your hair to get it that color" by women. I'm usually a SA and answer "sun" and "water."

Old 01-21-2004, 11:56 AM

air bags aren't good if you are going to leave them permanently (or almost always) inflated..... they aren't ment to be used like that and the bags will tear or leak causing them to fail... and you will have to replace them.

they are good to give your truck support when you have a heavy load.

get shackles or new springs!!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Cebby
I can't help you on the tech issues, but I just gotta say: I LOVE A MEMBER WHO SEARCHES AND BRINGS AN OLD THREAD BACK TO THE TOP TO ADD TO IT!!!!

Makes it much easier when searching later to have alot of info in one place! Nice job!!!
Hey, I try. I just didn't want to be the jack$#@ that submits a question that's already been answered a million times in other threads...I did several searches before posting. I love this site.

Anybody have any advice on how difficult it is to remove the springs, etc, for the install of the air bags...for a novice like myself? If all I need is wrenches, drills, zip-tyes, and maybe a spring compressor...than I think I've got it covered...otherwise, I think I'm gonna have to hire somebody (never touched suspension...just stereos and electrical). Either way, I just ordered the AirLift Outback special package, so I guess I'm committed...

I've attatched a pic, so y'all can see my problem!

Any help: greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension Bags and K&N-4runner-pic-reduced2-.jpg  
Old 01-21-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by GoudyMan
air bags aren't good if you are going to leave them permanently (or almost always) inflated..... they aren't ment to be used like that and the bags will tear or leak causing them to fail... and you will have to replace them.

they are good to give your truck support when you have a heavy load.

get shackles or new springs!!
I wouldn't be using the bags all the time, just when towing... that's why I settled on bags, because they're adjustable. I really don't want to touch the stock suspension any more than I have to. Thanks for the ideas though!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Write-ups

Originally posted by TRD4
Anybody have any advice on how difficult it is to remove the springs, etc, for the install of the air bags...for a novice like myself?
www.drawhorn.org

Go to write-ups and then Rear OME and Front OME.

That should give you an idea!

Hope this helps!

Old 01-21-2004, 12:38 PM

trd4, yeah, they are fine for your puprose but not for Hokiez97 who wants to fix his "saggy 4runner"!