Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air intake

I have a 2.4 and checking into getting rid of the box and going with a k&n but I have seen on ebay a air intake adapter filter. for hundreds cheaper. can anyone guide me in the right direction
Old 03-08-2004, 01:08 AM

Filter

Originally Posted by chasmc2
I have a 2.4 and checking into getting rid of the box and going with a k&n but I have seen on ebay a air intake adapter filter. for hundreds cheaper. can anyone guide me in the right direction
I bought won of those filters off of ebay for like 25 bucks.It works great.I noticed better throttle response,power, and gas mileage.Plus I now have that cool whistle from the intake.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

I bought one for my 3.4 off of ebay for $105, it looks great and fit perfectly.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasmc2
Don't know if your airbox is setup the same as mine but here is what I did.
I removed the intake elbow (inside the air box) and "S" tube from where they come in from behind the headlight. I then opened up the corner of the airbox where "S" tube left a hole, to a 4"x4" square opening. Drilled holes in the bottom of the box to let any water that might get in drain out. Then I just went with the drop in K&N filter in the stock box. This made a noticable difference. And also added that cool intake sound.

The 1.5" intake tube that is inside the airbox comming from the 2" intake "S" tube from the headlight area were super resrictive. Try this method first if you don't want to spend alot of money. The only thing I had to buy was the new drop in filter. I can take pics of what the modified box looks like if you are interested.
Brad
Old 03-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PirateFins
I removed the intake elbow (inside the air box) and "S" tube from where they come in from behind the headlight. I then opened up the corner of the airbox where "S" tube left a hole, to a 4"x4" square opening. Drilled holes in the bottom of the box to let any water that might get in drain out. Then I just went with the drop in K&N filter in the stock box. This made a noticable difference. And also added that cool intake sound.

The 1.5" intake tube that is inside the airbox comming from the 2" intake "S" tube from the headlight area were super resrictive. Try this method first if you don't want to spend alot of money. The only thing I had to buy was the new drop in filter. I can take pics of what the modified box looks like if you are interested.
Brad
Brad:

I'd was thinking about going back to the stock intake box and doing the same thing. Some pics of the mods would be great for me as well as others. Plz post them if ya can!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 AM

air intake

Brad
Brad I am intrested in the pics. I stopped by a pro shop and they told me that the stock air box is the best to go if you plan on going through mud or water.
thanks and talk to you soon. look forward for the pics
Old 03-09-2004, 10:49 AM

Ok for all that want to see pics I will work on them this week end. I have all of the parts still except for the cutout section. I will try and put it back to stock and show a step by step progression.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM

Ok for all that want to see pics I will work on them this week end. I have all of the parts still except for the cutout section. I will try and put it back to stock and show a step by step progression.
brad;
for what it's worth. i pulled my box and removed the interior elbow that runs off the headlight "s". on the back radiator side of the airbox is another uncut circle. i assume this is for another application of the same airbox. i cut out that hole and riveted in the elbow i removed, giving another intake to the box, but pointing it forward to attempt to pick up colder incoming air. my amzoil filter will be in this week. even with the paper filter there is a nice throaty sound and a bit more giddy-up.

there have been numerous discussions on this site regarding amzoil versus k+n filters, as well as a airbox mod with deckplate for a 4runner. the amzoil, with airbox mods, increased the hp and maintained filtration far better than k+n. i'll try to relocated these posts if you'd like to read them.
gary
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by javadoody
brad;
for what it's worth. i pulled my box and removed the interior elbow that runs off the headlight "s". on the back radiator side of the airbox is another uncut circle. i assume this is for another application of the same airbox. i cut out that hole and riveted in the elbow i removed, giving another intake to the box, but pointing it forward to attempt to pick up colder incoming air. my amzoil filter will be in this week. even with the paper filter there is a nice throaty sound and a bit more giddy-up.

there have been numerous discussions on this site regarding amzoil versus k+n filters, as well as a airbox mod with deckplate for a 4runner. the amzoil, with airbox mods, increased the hp and maintained filtration far better than k+n. i'll try to relocated these posts if you'd like to read them.
gary
That would be great. im getting ready to buy the filter so getting the best one would be a +
thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by javadoody
brad;

gary
Gary,
I thought about doing that also but decided to leave that hole plugged. I didn't want to reuse the elbow since bends are not condusive to nice flow, but every little bit helps. By removing the "S" pipe I have a larger area to pull air into + it left a hole in the headlight cover to allow fresh cool air to flow in at speed. I also have read the numerous post on the filters (thanks Gadget) and just haven't gotten around to replacing the K&N with the Amzoil. I came up with the idea for the airbox mod, based on the similar Deckplate Mod and Elbow removal mod's that the guy's with the V6's have done. I didn't see alot on moding a 22RE airbox so I thought I would take a stab at it. And you are right it makes a difference. I have been running that setup for 1yr now and I am happy.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:23 AM

Gary,
I thought about doing that also but decided to leave that hole plugged. I didn't want to reuse the elbow since bends are not condusive to nice flow, but every little bit helps. By removing the "S" pipe I have a larger area to pull air into + it left a hole in the headlight cover to allow fresh cool air to flow in at speed. I also have read the numerous post on the filters (thanks Gadget) and just haven't gotten around to replacing the K&N with the Amzoil. I came up with the idea for the airbox mod, based on the similar Deckplate Mod and Elbow removal mod's that the guy's with the V6's have done. I didn't see alot on moding a 22RE airbox so I thought I would take a stab at it. And you are right it makes a difference. I have been running that setup for 1yr now and I am happy.
thanks, i think i'll do the same with the "s". you're right, the less bends the better--i was concerned i'd pull air right off the fan and radiator and was attempting, in a meager way, to pick up colder air. was thinking of pulling the plastic plug located right ahead of the coolant overflow tank (moving it out of the way first) and with a scoop, forcing air directly into the box.
for all that would like the writeup that we're talking about:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm
i haven't found the original post yet (it's somewhat back in early feb.), but fortunately bookmarked the article on gadget's site.
good luck,
gary