Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air Injector Info?

Old 03-23-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Injector Info?

Hi-
I have and ’87 4 runner- Fuel Injected…I use it about 50% on road (mostly highway miles)and 50% off-road (Rocky/ rutted USFS roads and the likes). Not really all that into ‘crawling’- mainly into getting’ as far back as I can…Anyway: I’m looking for suggestions to improve the performance of the rig…I’d like to get as much power as I can (for my lil’ 4 popper), as well as like to keep mileage and emissions in check (I reside in CA). I’ve been told an air injector will be a big help: true or false? If so: any suggestions as to what to put in? what not to? I don’t really wanna get into replacing the engine just yet- it’s got a lotta life left- I’m just barely at 175…Other suggestions are most definitely welcome… Thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not sure what an air injector would do for performance because it is belt driven and would take HP to power it. Kinda like driving with your AC on in my opinion.

I just purchased a 86 4runner and am looking for the best performance out of it (4 popper) too, I would suggest replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the EGR, get rid of auto hubs if you have them. I have a Downey header and cat back on order witch are smog legal ( I am in CA too) and if money permits regear it.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
most people ditch air injection when they want more power. the PO on my truck did just that, he installed a weber carb, welded the air injection holes in the exhaust manifold and gutted out all the nasty 70s emissions junk
Old 03-24-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
most people ditch air injection when they want more power. the PO on my truck did just that, he installed a weber carb, welded the air injection holes in the exhaust manifold and gutted out all the nasty 70s emissions junk
SOUNDS LIKE QUITE A PROJECT...WHAT'D PUTTING A CARB ON DO FOR MILAGE? ANY TROUBLE W/ FUEL INJECTION? SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT WAY TO BOOST POWER...I GOTTA FIND OUT IF THAT'LL FLOAD W/ DMV DOWN HERE, TOO... THEY ARE SUPER-CHUMPS WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR PRECIOUS EMISSIONS STANDARDS....ANY AFTER-MARKET STUFF GETS SOME PRETTY SERIOUS SCRUTINY...

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT....
Old 03-24-2004, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by punkrocker
SOUNDS LIKE QUITE A PROJECT...WHAT'D PUTTING A CARB ON DO FOR MILAGE? ANY TROUBLE W/ FUEL INJECTION? SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT WAY TO BOOST POWER...I GOTTA FIND OUT IF THAT'LL FLOAD W/ DMV DOWN HERE, TOO... THEY ARE SUPER-CHUMPS WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR PRECIOUS EMISSIONS STANDARDS....ANY AFTER-MARKET STUFF GETS SOME PRETTY SERIOUS SCRUTINY...

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT....

BY THE WAY... YOU GOT ANY OTHER SUGGETSIONS FOR IMPROVING RUNABILITY ON AN OLDER TOYOTA? I JEST GOT TAXES BACK... GONNA HAVE THE GOVERNMENT BUILD MY TRUCK... JUST 11 MORE MONTHS TIL MY NEXT RETURN!
Old 03-24-2004, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just regear it, why mess with CA DMV. Loosing battle.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
Just regear it, why mess with CA DMV. Loosing battle.
Having ref's check your engine or emissions equipment in California is a direct pain in the rear. The ref's can't even be consistant in providing judgement.

It's a sham. Just check for emissions and holes in the cat, muffler and line, and be done with it. There's some places like Plymouth, CA that don't have emissions testing.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:19 AM

Yeah yer right on CA DMV... right now: looking for k&n performance filter kit for '87: anyone know if this even exists??!?! I'm having no luck... Snorkle's got a product for my rig...not that really need one...but that little sticker telling the ref to take a hike: aftermarket part/ goo to go, is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to gettin' tags...

I'm also gonna break down and (finally) replace my hammered muffler...if nuthin else, I wont be starting any forest fires this summer....I've heard tell that this helps a little with the get up and go - but I don't think I really believe it... anyone have thoughts on that?

I thought about re-gearing, but I'm runnin 31s right now. If I get bigger meats...I most definitely will...but that's about the time that I spend some extra cash on the clutch, as well...

wheelers' lament: I wanna do all this stuff to my rig, but I don't wanna be without it for a single minute! I mean what's the point of even havin the rig if ya don't go play?!?!

I gotta put gas in the rig, too...lately that's just about as bad as upgrade/repair costs

Thanks for your input guys...
Old 03-25-2004, 08:39 AM

Very happy to announce that I found a couple of different options for FIPK...I don't even hafta get silly with a sawzall or anything! Thanks for yer thoughts