Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aggghhhh!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Aggghhhh!!!

AGGGHHHH!!! This morning, 04/05/03, I got up to take the SAT. It was the third time for me. Well, anyways, pulling out of the garage, I accidentally knocked my passenger-side mirror on the garage pillar! AGGGHHHH! The mirror cracked and the plastic mount cracked too. It was a heated mirror too. :pat: . I guess I'm glad I didn't scrape up the side of the 4Runner though; the noise scared the hell out of me!!!It's still useful, but I'm going to have to have it replaced. Has this ever happened to anyone before?Anyone know the cost? Do I have to have it painted? Do I have to order a pair? Meezasostoopid!

Zach
Old 04-05-2003, 02:28 PM

Ouch! I can feel your pain. It happened to me before when I opened a driver side door in a strong wind, and slammed at the corner of brick wall.

Can you post a picture of damaged mirror? It might help to give anyone on this forums the idea how can we help you to fix it at the lowest cost as possible. You might not need to replace a whole mirror assembly.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:05 AM

Unhappy The Pics...

Here they are, the infamous pics...

I think I'm in for a run to the stealership. Oops, I mean dealership. Nobody has any extras do they?

Zach
Old 04-06-2003, 12:12 PM

It looks like you would probably need new mirror and housing. I can see a crack at the bottom of housing. It is not hard to do the repair.

You can check around the auto part stores and junkyard if you are in luck to get these parts at lower cost than stealership.

If new housing is not in white, you can buy a spray paint at the auto part store, just look up the color code at the driver side's door sticker. You can test the color spraying on the dummy material to ensure the color matched against your rig before you stray on the housing.

If you don't want to spend too much $$$ on housing, you could repair it by putting and spread out some plastic epoxy glues to fill a crack inside, and put a little glue outside the housing. Be sure to sand to rough it a bit for better glue abrasive. Allow a glue to cure for overnight, then you can sand to smooth out the outer housing, leave glue inside the housing unless of a mirror's edge rubbing on the glue, sand it off a bit to clear out. It sounds like it is good way to save some money and teach you some new skills, but it is a time consuming.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:16 PM

ouch! I guess your SAT's probably didn't go so well either since you were prolly real pissed about this huh?
Old 04-06-2003, 12:27 PM

lol yeah

Yeah... I don't think I did so well on that SAT. I'm shooting for anything above a 1300, and my present best is 1280, but I'll find out in a few weeks how I did. I didn't think about it during the SAT, but I still was jittery.

Zach
Old 04-06-2003, 07:51 PM

SAT????? What is that?
Old 04-06-2003, 08:01 PM
CTB

Scholastic Aptitude Test (I think that's what it stands for)

Basically a standardized test for high school juniors and seniors to take when they want to go to college. Colleges use it as an evaluation tool.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good God, the SATs...distant memories....

Glad them days are over!

Bob
Old 04-06-2003, 10:33 PM

ahhhh. Thank you CTB.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:40 AM

SCHWAIT!!!!! Before you go plunk down the cash for a whole new mirror.... can just the glass be replaced? If you can get the glass off.... can a new piece be cut? Ouch. You said heated mirror, didnt you? Sorry. I think you're right. Sounds like a dealership trip.