Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aftermarket Radio reception sucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 09:02 AM
DuB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Radio reception sucks

The stock radio has two antenna plugs: the regular standard one for the power antenna on the fender, and a smaller one for the diversity antenna on the rear window. Aftermarket headunits only have a plug for the standard one, so the diversity antenna isn't used. My reception was really good with the stock headunit, so I'm guessing the diversity antenna really worked.

I like listening to 97.1 talk radio on my drives down to San Diego, but reception dies a little before halfway, and then it only works when I get to the top of hills...

Does anyone else have this problem, and have you tried to fix it? Has anyone tried antenna boosters?

I've been thinking of figuring out a way to use both antennas, or rig up a way to switch between them, but I can't find a place that had the smaller plug. The bigger one is called a standard "Motorola type" jack. Another problem is that I think I'd need to match the impedances somehow for it to work correctly...
Old 04-15-2003, 09:11 AM
DuB

nevermind, I don't think it's going to work I found an article on termpro.com that explains the antennas. http://www.termpro.com/articles/antenna.html
Who would've thought our simple stock headunits had "specialized tuners" which have a "system utilizing diversity tuning?"
I guess I should try an antenna booster or amplifier. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 04-29-2003, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno how I missed this thread... I'm in the same boat.

My power antenna broke and I replaced it with your basic straight manual antenna that I got for $10. I've since tried a rubber duckie top (base loaded) as well as a single straight mast and still have lousy reception.

I have the diversity antenna as well, but when I pulled out the guts from the auto, I didn't see anywhere that it hooked in. I completely pulled out the original coax and again, didn't find any indication that the diversity antenna had any connection. My Haynes manual shows nothing.

I've tried a dedicated ground to the body as well as completely isolating the antenna from the body. Nothing helps.

I'm literally online with Google now looking for options...

Yesterday, I headed for a well-respected Toyota dealer yesterday armed with the part number for the Tacoma antenna which I got from another thread here. I think it was 96_Runner that mentioned he had great results from it. Well, the number I had was just for the _mast_, not the whole assembly, and they wanted $30 for it. I was looking for the whole assembly, and come to find out... Toyota wants $140 for it!!!!

Ummm.. "I don't think so".

So.. That's about all I know about antenna's... It's driving me nuts!

oh... regarding the specialized tuners, I don't buy it. I had excellent reception with the original auto antenna feeding my Sony Xplod. I'm convinced that this can be cured with an antenna. I pulled the original radio eons ago and never noticed two antenna connections.. If the trick is in the diversity antenna, then maybe this can be cured by rigging an antenna mixer, but I don't see any feed from the diversity showing up under the dash.

And! I tried a 10db FM booster no change. I don't think it's a signal strength issue per se'. The closest I got to success was to set the IF on my Xlod from "auto" to "wide". In simple terms, this loosens up the digital tuner and allows for "easier" reception. There's more info here:

http://www.fanfare.com/fm-specs.html

whew... okay, I'm done typing now.

Last edited by midiwall; 04-29-2003 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:26 PM

An old thread that I just can't leave alone.

I think I found a solution to fringe (or just plain crappy) AM/FM radio issues. FireStik - the same folks that make the killer CB and 2-meter antennas also make a killer AM/FM antenna.

I have some words up on a web page:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/firestik.html

But in short, this is the end result: (click on the pics for bigger version)

Bottom line? $15 for the antenna, $20 for the base, and it's an AWESOME setup!

Last edited by midiwall; 05-14-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:53 PM

Re: Aftermarket Radio reception sucks

Originally posted by DuB
The stock radio has two antenna plugs: the regular standard one for the power antenna on the fender, and a smaller one for the diversity antenna on the rear window. Aftermarket headunits only have a plug for the standard one, so the diversity antenna isn't used. My reception was really good with the stock headunit, so I'm guessing the diversity antenna really worked.

I like listening to 97.1 talk radio on my drives down to San Diego, but reception dies a little before halfway, and then it only works when I get to the top of hills...

Does anyone else have this problem, and have you tried to fix it? Has anyone tried antenna boosters?

I've been thinking of figuring out a way to use both antennas, or rig up a way to switch between them, but I can't find a place that had the smaller plug. The bigger one is called a standard "Motorola type" jack. Another problem is that I think I'd need to match the impedances somehow for it to work correctly...

Diversity in your factory deck works similar to this, there is the factory (probably powered) and one mounted in the quarter glass the diversity tuner uses both antenna's but is always searching for a stronger signal and then uses whichever antenna has the strongest signal. Recommendations, if your factory antenna is powered make sure it's going up, plugged into the aftermarket deck all the way (some aftermarket radios are a little tougher to push the antenna into). If you have a digital VOM you can check to make sure that the antenna has a good ground on the shielding (the outside portion that plugs into the radio). And lastly it could just be the radio, Kenwood's tuner sections are probably the worst, then there's Alpine both brands are awesome but there FM tuner sections have something to be desired. If it's that bad you can always add XM or Sirius and you'll pick up everything anywhere in the US.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:28 PM
DuB

Originally posted by mpulver
An old thread that I just can't leave alone.

I think I found a solution to fringe (or just plain crappy) AM/FM radio issues. FireStik - the same folks that make the killer CB and 2-meter antennas also make a killer AM/FM antenna.

I have some words up on a web page:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/firestik.html

But in short, this is the end result: (click on the pics for bigger version)

Bottom line? $15 for the antenna, $20 for the base, and it's an AWESOME setup!
Mark... AWESOME!!!
How do you go about connecting it to the headunit?
I think I'm going to get one, but I'm going to get a different mount because I want to put it somewhere on the back of the truck because I don't want the antenna to be knocked off by garages. Do you think the reception will still be ok if I mounted it somewhere on the rear bumper?

*edit* woah, what's the difference between all of those mounts?

Last edited by DuB; 05-14-2003 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by DuB
Mark... AWESOME!!!
How do you go about connecting it to the headunit?
The mount came with an 18' pigtail that was unterminated. But it included a PL-259 crimp connector which is the type plug that's commonly used in CB connections.

I went to Radio Shack and got a "Motorola" plug which is what will fit the standard AM/FM radio socket. I didn't use the PL-259.

I think I'm going to get one, but I'm going to get a different mount because I want to put it somewhere on the back of the truck because I don't want the antenna to be knocked off by garages. Do you think the reception will still be ok if I mounted it somewhere on the rear bumper?
Yeah, I think it will. This antenna is wrapped such that it has an "effective length" of about 5'. FireStik also makes a 4' version of this which has an effective length of around 6'. What that means in the end is a greater sensitivity and thus "drawing" power.

If you're looking at the rear bumper as a mounting location, I'd opt for the 4' version of the antenna just to get it up higher. I think it lists for only $1 more.

*edit* woah, what's the difference between all of those mounts?
Isn't that wild??? FireStik REALLY has it goin' on.

I'll tell ya'... I was REALLY happy that I drove up to see this guy. We talked about antennas, mounting locations, the different mount types.. He KNEW what was goin' on, and he knew FireStik's product line. I can't emphasize enough how much it would be worth your time to find a dealer and go see him/her.

I would have been VERY confused if I had ordered this mast blind.

One downside... The GF is blowing me crap now that since I have such an agressive looking antenna I need to at least throw mud at the truck so it looks the part. (I've never had it in the dirt)

Well... Maybe the sliders will help.

Last edited by midiwall; 05-15-2003 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:04 AM
DuB

Woah, thanks for all the info! Yeah, I guess I'll try to find a dealer around here.

One downside... The GF is blowing me crap now that since I have such an agressive looking antenna I need to at least throw mud at the truck so it looks the part. (I've never had it in the dirt)
Yeah, that's the problem I have and that's why I want to stick it somewhere in the back where it won't be so conspicuous. Except it's not the GF that has a problem with it, but me
Old 05-15-2003, 02:05 AM
Banned

FWIW I bought a Pioneer Supertuner head unit in '98 for $90 or so. It seems to get very good reception with my stock '87 antenna. Both AM and FM are good to over 100 miles from the transmitter sometimes. The transmitters are on the front range of mountains. Once you cross the first divide westward they fade quickly though.