Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Advice w/ Spare Tire in Trunk...

Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice w/ Spare Tire in Trunk...

in a previous thread of mine i had many people say that having my spare tire in the trunk was dangerous. i was just wondering what would be a good way to keep it down w/o doing any drilling or anything. i always figured that it was big and heavy enough to stay down in a wreck...
Old 11-17-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
there should be tie-downs in the back, take a ratchet strap and have it go down over the top of the tire.

i honestly dont think it will go anywhere, but if you want to strap it down go for it.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM

yea i figured it would be to heave to move and even in a wreck it would jsut get pushed up against the back seat.

i was considering to instead of the brushguard for christmas i get a yakima roof rack instead
Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sloan
yea i figured it would be to heave to move and even in a wreck it would jsut get pushed up against the back seat.

i was considering to instead of the brushguard for christmas i get a yakima roof rack instead
ya i had a accident and my small speaker box didnt go anywhere.

That idea is a great one. you could put your spare up in the rack like i have mine. i suggest searching ebay for it so it is not as expensive.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

cargo net

get a cargo net made from nylon webbing and use the "D" rings to hold it down
Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do anything more than take a ratchet strap and use the tiedowns.. Stil it wont go anywhere..

I barely had my spare attached using a bungee in my T100's bed and it only flew out when I went really fast up this one hill.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

whats wrong with the stock location for the spare? unless you've got a considerably bigger than oem sized spare tire...i'd leave it where it belongs... under the truck. no point in wasting trunk space or killing your mpg by having it on the roof.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 PM

his aftermarket exhaust interferes with the location of the spare.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

aaah ok gotcha. in that case...id make the aftermarket exhaust work with the spare..not against it. sooner or later, you'll end up not having the room in the trunk when you need it the most, or will get annoyed at the drop in mpg.

but thats just me. personally, i dont bother with carrying a spare, unless im on a road trip or go wheeling. my spare weighs in at just under 100lbs. if i could stuff it in where the oem one went...i would.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:30 PM

what about a donut? whats wrong with cranking a 13in rim up there? saves weight and drag. gosh no one thinks around here(FYI all sarcasm)
Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

i got rear ended in my explorer 2 years ago and my dual sub box ended up in my back seat, and that thing weighed above 60 pounds
Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 AM

Yea, spares in the back can be a headache, literally. I'm fitting my spare underneath right now with my duals, but with I get 285's, it'll have to go in my trunk tied down for sure.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 AM

My old Jeep Grand Cherokee had the spare tire mount in the trunk area. It was just a bolt coming through the side panel which I tightened down with a wing nut. Major PITA when trying to carry anything in the back.

I would try to make the stock location work with your exhaust. Roof rack will cost you 2+ MPG's. Trunk area is a hassle (and potentially dangerous). With an exhaust that does virtually nothing except make your rig louder is not a good trade-off, IMO.

One other alternative is to get a hitch mount tire carrier. But that is a PITA, too.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just some FYI for those that say the tire won't go anywhere. I once had a wrenck in a civic on the highway. Some hispanic stopped his truck in the middle of the highway for no dang reason (ok, not stop but like 5 - 10 mph in a 65 zone) i come over a hill and rear end him (needless to say not my fualt).

Well after getting everything finished and my car back home i look in the back to see that the back seat was now agienst the front seats and my truck stuff was in teh back seat.Yes the back seats BROKE under the force and just came apart. And that was just a few pounds worth of stuff (mabey 50lb total) just imaigne what a 100lb tire + other stuff would have done!

Never again will I have unsecured stuff in the trunk, even then i am not so sure. In a slow speed wreck a tire is not that big a deal, not that much force. But in a highway speed wreck the amount of force that it would have is way more that you think.

Remember when the mythbusters tested the bowling ball in the car wreck? It was only 10lb and it did that much damage just imiange a 100lb tire!
Old 11-18-2007, 02:32 PM

offroading in my friends truck, i got hit in the face by a waterbottle.

EVERYTHING in my vehicle gets tied down! especially when offroading! ive had so much stuff fly everywhere while bouncing around.

something like a 100 pound tire isnt going to be flopping around on a bumpy road, but in an accident, where closing speed can be 130 mph or more, that tire will fly forward, taking out anything and everything in its path, including you. just tie it down.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM

i agree you should just tie it down. a couple of very inexpensive bungee cords or a bungee net could turn out to be a very worthwhile investment down the road
Old 11-18-2007, 04:58 PM

yea like someone said before with the d rings before i could lock it down. i checked it today where it used to fit but it will not have enough room to go back under. and the exhaust does also help with my gas mileage so it was worth getting.

just out of curiousity would a roof rack with no spare tire in it still cost you the 2 mpg?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I have been driving for 25 years and have seen numerous accidents all over the country. There is this thing called physics that make heavy things move fast in accidents.
Ratchet straps (in GOOD condition) will hold a tire in place in all but the worst situations...
Old 11-19-2007, 06:07 AM

I am thinking of place my oversize tire in the back too (not yet) until I get $$ for the rear tire carrier. Do you think the rings on the back strong enough to hold a 100 lbs tire down during the accident? I afraid the force will "ripped" the rings off the body.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 AM

im thinking since there is 2 rings in the front and back run them over one another in a "x" form with some kind of sturdy cables will hold her down pretty good. also i think i'm going to the dealership one day and see about one of the luggage covers since mine was missing when i bought it used. the 2 cables and a closed off trunk with the cover should offer much more protection then before.

espically since now i stayed awake in bed having some final destination type thoughts about a spare tire flying from the back and ripping my head off while driving

Last edited by Sloan; 11-19-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice w/ Spare Tire in Trunk...