Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Advice for suspension problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If my problem is only shocks, which ones for 100% onroad?

Hi,

I’ve searched just about just about every thread I could find on yotatech and Toyota-4runner.org but haven’t found many definitive answers for my particular use case.

I just bought a ’98 4Runner SR5 in January which now had 124k now is 127K miles. Since Jan I already had to put in $1200 for an electronic fuel injector, all belts (including timing), and water pump and maybe something else I can’t remember. Now I’ve realized that something with the suspension (I assume shocks) is wrong.

The ride can be described in 1 word: punishing. Over large bumps the suv bounces up and down several times before settling down. I feel every minor pavement crack (yes even when the pavement is level between the expansion joints). Driving over city streets every weekday with potholes is horrible. Going over washboard sections of the road I feel like my rear end swings out a bit sort of like when you slide around a corner in the snow only not quite to that extent but enough that it is disturbing. I go 1mph over speed bumps giving it just enough gas to make it over and both the front and rear ends bounce several times as it passes the hump almost bottoming out but not quite. When I jump on the back trailer hitch and jump off, it bounces 4-5 times before it stops moving. The front isn’t quite as bad but still not the normal. When I hit even minor pot holes, the dash rattles and sounds like the car is going to fall apart and wear out pretty quick if I don’t do something.

The rear end of the suv sags only slightly – it’s not very noticeable but when I look for it I can see that it is sloping toward the year just a tad (I’ve read this is a fairly common problem). As for tires, it has Goodyear Wranglers RT/S with less than 30% tread left (yes I plan to purchase new ones -- not sure what kind though -- after I fix the suspension issue). I checked with Toyota and yes it did have the rear suspension recall performed several years ago on it.

I’m a poor college student that doesn’t have money to keep sinking into a vehicle. I’m not interested in any kind of a lift kit on the car as I like the height now and it is hard enough for passengers to get into it (it’s the 4x4 model). I drive this suv 100% on road and have no plans for off roading or towing.

I assume it needs shocks and from the few people who fit my use case of only on road, I’ve read that people recommend either OEM or Monroes. I’m not interested in OMEs because from what I understand people have to buy a lift kit to jack it up 2 inches (which I don't want to do -- I like the height now) and have read that lift can cause a bunch of problems such as torn cvboots. I don’t want bilsteins as I’ve read numerous posts saying they are stiffer, and a few people have said they couldn’t take the harshness of the ride. Since I’ve had back surgery, I’m sure I couldn’t take anything harder than what I already have (IDK what’s on there currently but I assume OEMs).

I realize the suv is built on the Tacoma suspension and will never ride like a camry, but I’m wondering, how can I get this car to ride as close to a soccer mom’s car as possible? I love the 4Runner’s styling but can’t take the ride as it is currently and don’t want to sink $600 to have Toyota redo all 4 shocks / struts (I don’t know how to do it myself) and another $600 on tires if its still going to ride as it does now after I’m done. Some people say OEMs are great and others say they are terrible and don’t last long. Never having driven a new 3rd gen 4runner I have not point of reference to know.

Are there any people out there who there who could help me figure out what to do? Like I said – no lifts, preferably no spring changes (unless absolutely necessary), and no bilsteins or OMEs for reasons stated above.

My concern with OEMs is – how long will they last?
My concern with Monroes is – I know of a couple people who say they’ve used them (one a next door neighbor on his car) and the shock leaked after only a year or so. Since I cannot afford the labor to make good on their lifetime warrnaty, this is a major concern.

Does anyone have any experience with OEMs or Monroes that could help me figure out which one to go with? Or are there any other shocks that I could purchase and take to a mechanic to put on my suv that would improve the ride at a minimal cost?

Thanks in advance…

Jonathan

Last edited by jkconnections; 07-05-2005 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, definetely need new shocks. If you want oem shocks you can always see if anybody is giving them away after they lift their trucks. Of course they'll be from a 96-2002 so they'd be that old.

Also make sure you have the proper air pressure in the tires, should be around 30ish psi, not the max 50ish on the sidewalls.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robinhood150,

Thanks for the fast reply. Do you know would OEMs fix the problems of feeling every little pavement crack as I feel now? I've read some positives and some that say they don't so I don't know what to think.

Yes, I am running somewhere around 30psi.

Anyone else have any experience with OEMs or Monroes?

Thanks again,
Jonathan