95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Advice for a smoother ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a smoother ride

Hello all!
I live in a rural area with roads that are bumpy, rutted, and generally in poor condition even though they are paved.

When I installed the Revtek lift I noticed that the coil spring is compressed even more than stock. I suspect this contributes to a poor ride.

Whatever the case, I am sick of being tossed around on my way to work and would like any advice you've got.

Would coilovers solve my poor ride quality? OME?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:56 AM
Contributing Member

:chicken:
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 AM

I was anti any device on my 3rd gen that preloaded the spring to get the lift...it just had to be worse riding. The revtec kit gets lift from preloading the spring and lengthening the strut.

I had the same issues. I went to Tundra valved Sway-a-ways on the front which were night and day for me. They rode as smooth as stock at moderate lifts with far improved control. I was running about 2" in front to clear my 32s as I still had ADD hubs so did not want to tweak the CV joints too bad...

I had Downey Coils in back which were a little firmer than I would like but the handling was much tighter and sharper.

David
Old 10-05-2005, 05:12 AM

If you are running the Revtek lift with the stock shocks then I would probably try a different set of shocks first if I were you.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Would you recommend OME shocks or Bilsteins? I was also looking at the performance products sway-a-way coilover kit. Keep the suggestions coming!! I gotta do something.

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...r+Kits&type=20
Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
Thanks for the suggestions. Would you recommend OME shocks or Bilsteins? I was also looking at the performance products sway-a-way coilover kit. Keep the suggestions coming!! I gotta do something.

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...r+Kits&type=20
I didn't realize that when I first read your post that you have stock shocks. Let me chime in and say that I have the Revtek lift with Bilsteins. The main reason I went with this setup was cost. I also looked into coilovers (SAWs) and they were extremely pricey. I don't go over rough roads but when I do hit a bad set of road, the truck has very little bounce and has some stiffness due to the Bilsteins.

If money is not an issue, the coilover setup has got to be one of the better alternatives. If it is an issue, how about the Tundra setup with OMEs in the rear and Bilsteins all around or just upgrade the shocks and see how this works?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
I didn't realize that when I first read your post that you have stock shocks. Let me chime in and say that I have the Revtek lift with Bilsteins. The main reason I went with this setup was cost. I also looked into coilovers (SAWs) and they were extremely pricey. I don't go over rough roads but when I do hit a bad set of road, the truck has very little bounce and has some stiffness due to the Bilsteins.

If money is not an issue, the coilover setup has got to be one of the better alternatives. If it is an issue, how about the Tundra setup with OMEs in the rear and Bilsteins all around or just upgrade the shocks and see how this works?
Good idea - I'll look into the tundra setup, for some reason I thought they would be more money than the saws.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Good idea - I'll look into the tundra setup, for some reason I thought they would be more money than the saws.
IIRC, the cheapest coilovers were SAWs (basic setup, not the advanced) and they were about $650 for the fronts. Add the rear springs, OME/PP/Downey, and you have another $100-$250. Now the Bilsteins are about $300. You're looking at about 1k for the gear plus install.

Now, go to Revtek ($300) plus Bilsteins ($300) and you're at $600 plus install. I never got price info on the Tundra stuff but I'm assuming you'd be in the same price range. Since you have the Revtek, why not just try the Bilsteins first? I don't pay for labor so I'd do this. If the ride sucks, then upgrade springs. If you pay for labor, you should consider the full swap and selling the Revtek kit to compensate for the switch. Just a thought...
Old 10-05-2005, 10:36 AM

I can only offer advice from what I have used.

Front:

Stock: Everyone knows the feel.

Tundra Valved SAW's: Like said before a night and day feeling from a shot stock setup, but it does not last all that long, around 30k they really need rebuilding and that can also include the heim? joint (the bottom joint that seems to end up on everyone's SAW's that sqeak horribly). So every 30k they need some if not a lot of maintenace. Up here in the salt belt the spring did not end up looking great the powdercoating came off and the spring is rusting. I took mine off, and will not point anyone in their direction. They are not built for longevity.

TRD: (Tundra springs, OME shocks, top spacer) So far for me the best setup. I like the ride a lot better than the SAW's. On the highway at speed they behave nicer than the saws do. Only small problem is the spring rubbing where it does.

Rear:

Bilstein/Downey: Love it. Yet I honest have not ridden in back to know the feeling of the ride, but it holds weight nicely. I carry 500lbs of DJ gear twice a week in mine and it does not feel like any weight at all is back there.

Last edited by li_runner; 10-05-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Try some OME shocks for starters.

I think that will help a lot.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

read my sig. That is the best set up period. Not that expensive and the ride is supurb on and off road.

Come to Richmond adn I will help install it. I have a wall mount spring compressor, air tools, garage....I have done three of these already
Old 10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1

OME springs are desing ed to be used with OME shocks. The ride will be horrible with OME springs and Bilstein shocks. OME are low pressure and Bilstienf are high pressure. You can get a better ride with all OME in the back or OME shocks and LC 80 springs
Old 10-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
read my sig. That is the best set up period. Not that expensive and the ride is supurb on and off road.

Come to Richmond adn I will help install it. I have a wall mount spring compressor, air tools, garage....I have done three of these already
Richmond? I love Richmond! Been there a bunch I might actually take you up on that offer maybe over the xmas season.

What do you all think of just OME in the front?? Worth a try, or go Bilstein because they are cheaper.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Richmond? I love Richmond! Been there a bunch I might actually take you up on that offer maybe over the xmas season.

What do you all think of just OME in the front?? Worth a try, or go Bilstein because they are cheaper.
I would go with Tundra springs, OME shocks, bamachem top out spacer, extended studs, diff drop and limiting straps. Rear: all OME.
Call up Sonoran Steel and get a pnahard bar or bracket and e-brake extension and new bumpstops.

I love my suspension. The only change I will make is the addition of anothe top out spacer (heavy ARB bumper and I am getting a winch)

My wife has the PP 1" springs with HD billies. It is a nice ride, but you can definately tell the difference between the Billies and OME---two different shocks.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:42 AM

I have the Revtek 3" kit up front, combined with OME firm shocks. I've been really happy with this setup, and in my opinion using OME shocks with the spacers up front provides a really comfortable ride.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tarheelrunner
I have the Revtek 3" kit up front, combined with OME firm shocks. I've been really happy with this setup, and in my opinion using OME shocks with the spacers up front provides a really comfortable ride.
That is kinda where I'm heading now because of the low cost. One day I'll redo the entire thing.

Seems like new shocks up front is the way to go.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:35 PM
JGM

Come on - take the cool route for a smooth ride - get heavy duty coils and shocks and add very heavy bumpers, a winch, and big tires.

Nice and smoooooth......
Old 10-07-2005, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JGM
Come on - take the cool route for a smooth ride - get heavy duty coils and shocks and add very heavy bumpers, a winch, and big tires.

Nice and smoooooth......
Old 10-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

I ran OME with bilsteins...BAD CHOICE. If you want to feel every little pebble in the road then do it. I had the bils, with the OME 881 and 906s and it was killer! I have the same setup as filthy and its a lot better
Old 10-08-2005, 01:23 AM

stay away from bilsteins if you want a softer ride. "that's all i have to say about that~"

Quick Reply: Advice for a smoother ride