Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Advice needed on parts for 95 Runner

Old 06-06-2002, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on parts for 95 Runner

Hello all,
Just got me a 95 4Runner and was interested in getting some parts for it.

1) Center caps for the rims on this rig. I have 6 caps but none of them fit on the front. They all fit on the back and they fit on the newer runners on the front but not on mine. I dont think these rims were original on this runner. Anyone know if there are caps to fit the front or do I have to modify them? I want to keep the cap silver in color, and not the older black ones.
Here is a pic of the rims I have.
http://www.w-wip.com/tire.jpg

Seems the front hubs protrude a little too far for these caps to fit on. Has anyone got any info on if there is caps like these just deeper?

2) Running boards. Seeing as I will never take this offroading and I want to have the kids get into the runner easier. I am looking to get the back running boards. Not the running bars.

3) Tunnel cover (Tan in color). I went to Toyota for this and you would not beleive the cost of this. I am looking for a used one or if the price is right new.

4) Good fog lights. Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris
Old 06-07-2002, 01:31 AM

Hey dude,

The wheels you have are original equipment Toyota wheels for 3rd generation 4Runners. Go to your local Toyota parts dept. for help. Do all six center caps have the same part number?
Running boards will be big bucks from the dealer (about $350/side), while wrecking yards will charge top dollar for used ones. Check out the J.C. Whitney website (jcwhitney.com). They have a good selection of after market running boards, not to mention all kinds of other parts. Also, inquire with local Toyota off-roading clubs--many members save old parts after modifications. As far as lights go, I recommend top quality name brands such as PIAA, Hella, and Bosch. They key to fog/driving lights is to properly mount and aim them for maximum effectiveness. What is a tunnel cover?

Good luck,

Sam
Old 06-07-2002, 04:02 AM

I was going to say, there are the wheels for the 3rd gen 4Runner, not the second, so I have no idea what to do there, beings as I have a second gen. As far as fog lights, there are many out there. I personally have the PIAA 520 and absolutely love them. They are really sweet, look good and are VERY bright and cut through rain, snow, sleet, etc. I would check out the tech page for a write-up by Mark on those. Otherwise, there are others here who have other lights (that alot of others). See what they have to say. Here is the link for the PIAA 520 directly from PIAA's website. Check it out! :beaver:

-Ryan

PIAA 520
Old 06-07-2002, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the "for sale" sections on here and 4x4wire for running boards. Also post on the "want to buy" section on here and 4x4wire that you are looking for running boards. People are always getting rid of them for wheeling.

I have some running boards, but I'm all the way down in California. I think shipping would be cost prohibitive.

Steve
Old 06-07-2002, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by samspade77
Hey dude,

What is a tunnel cover?

Good luck,

Sam
Thanks for the tips....

Tunnel cover = cargo cover. The cover to hide what you have in the back. I will try and post it on the parts wanted area.

Thanks again for the help,

Chris
Old 06-07-2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
I was going to say, there are the wheels for the 3rd gen 4Runner, not the second, so I have no idea what to do there, beings as I have a second gen. -Ryan

PIAA 520
Hello Ryan,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have a second gen rig also. 1995 4Runner however it seems the person who had this previous to me stuck 3rd gen rims and tires on her. He had the two front caps in the glove box so I didnt bother to put them on previous to buying her.:cry:

Now if you take a look at your rear axel it does not protrude out from the rim. However on the front it does. This is the problem. The caps fit on the back no problem. The front however do not due to the hub coming out about 2 inchs.

Wish I knew how to fix this.

Thanks for your kind reply though.

Chris
Old 06-08-2002, 12:55 AM

Cool

Originally posted by 95Runner

Thanks for the tips....

Tunnel cover = cargo cover. The cover to hide what you have in the back. I will try and post it on the parts wanted area.

Thanks again for the help,

Chris
Not to sound like a smart a$$...you mean tonneau cover. Must be a fancy French word...hoho. It sounds like tunnel, just no 'L' sound but an 'O'. Check ebay for it. I have seen a few for sale there...look under 4Runner.
You must have that 4WD locking front hub. You probably have to go to the dealer for the correct center cap. I believe I saw one with a hole in the center of the cap for the hub to protrude. Could be wrong, but I know I saw something like that at the dealers lot. Good luck in your search.
butnut
Old 06-08-2002, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by butnut

Not to sound like a smart a$$...you mean tonneau cover. Must be a fancy French word...hoho. It sounds like tunnel, just no 'L' sound but an 'O'. Check ebay for it. I have seen a few for sale there...look under 4Runner.
You must have that 4WD locking front hub. You probably have to go to the dealer for the correct center cap. I believe I saw one with a hole in the center of the cap for the hub to protrude. Could be wrong, but I know I saw something like that at the dealers lot. Good luck in your search.
butnut
HAHA!

God I love that Icon pointing to the report. Looks like a Toyota Dealer pointing to a bill that you just finished work on.

Anyways, thanks for your reply. I actually don't have locking hubs. My older 89 did. (Maunal freeze your a$$ off to lock into 4X4 hubs). My new 95 runner is automatic on the fly.

So you say you have seen some form of mod for the issue with the rims. hmmmm I will have to drop by the local dealer and see if there is some solutions.

Thanks a mill for your time.

Chris