Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Advice on coil spring compressors

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on coil spring compressors

I want to purchase a pair of coil spring compressor but I'm not sure which one to get since there are so many out there. I need one that can handle the OEM 99 springs and the PP springs.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't know the names off hand, but, as long as you get the external compressors (two arms which go outside of the spring) you should be fine.

I used the Powerbuilt ones from Kragen for years and they are fine.

If you plan on just using them 1-3 times, then just rent them for $10/day since they cost $50+ to buy.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:45 AM

I used my set on the Stock springs and did not feel all that comfortable with them. Do not remeber where I got them but they are relatively heavy duty.

When I swtiched to the PP springs, I used the wall mount at a buddies shop. My recommendation is to take the coilovers out and pay someone a coupla bucks to swap over the springs / /shocks. Should not be expensive at all.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

I got these from sears. Work well for the back. But the channel isn't the right diameter for the front. I'd like to eyeball something like these as an option for the front. I think there's a more simple version that almost looks more like a hook (skinner than the original link).

as always, be careful and YMMV.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Don't know the names off hand, but, as long as you get the external compressors (two arms which go outside of the spring) you should be fine.

I used the Powerbuilt ones from Kragen for years and they are fine.

If you plan on just using them 1-3 times, then just rent them for $10/day since they cost $50+ to buy.
Just swapped out my OME coils used the outside/external compressors..when i put them in the first time I used an impact wrench and bench vice to hold in place. This last time I used a s 14mm socket and ratchet...got pretty tight, but i was also compressing LC coils and they were much longer. Work slowly and wear eye protection. I think the brand was Powerbuilt.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I always used an impact wrench.

If you do not have air tools, I'd let someone else do it
Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 AM

I bought this one, worked great, no impact wrench needed. I felt much safer with this one than the other set I had.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NAPA-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 AM

I also recommend the use of the wall mounted compressor. I just did my 881's with a wall mounted compressor and really had to crank on it; lots of pressure. Most shops will do it for pretty cheap.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gpcollen1
I used my set on the Stock springs and did not feel all that comfortable with them. Do not remeber where I got them but they are relatively heavy duty.

When I swtiched to the PP springs, I used the wall mount at a buddies shop. My recommendation is to take the coilovers out and pay someone a coupla bucks to swap over the springs / /shocks. Should not be expensive at all.
X2

This is what we did on my brother's 97 4Runner. took the front springs and shocks to pep boys and they charged about $40 to do the pair.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bennito
I got these from sears. Work well for the back. But the channel isn't the right diameter for the front.
I used this setup on my fronts struts several times and never had any issues with the spring wire diameter being too big to fit in the grooves on the compressor tool. The rears should not even need a spring compressor if you do it right.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
The rears should not even need a spring compressor if you do it right.
I nearly posted that. (that the rear flexed enough, especially w/o shocks and sway bar removed, that spring compressor was not used).

The fit on the front wasn't horrid. But it wasn't great. Back fit in perfectly. I was very glad there were safeties (Even if they weren't tested) when doing the front. I'm getting ready to do some more springs, so will try to get better with what I've got.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:47 PM

I used some of the rental ones from Checker for my Tundra springs. I've used similar compressors in the past for lighter duty car springs, but I was surprised at how much the rods of the compressors flexed while I was cranking them. I've never been that scared doing suspension work. I imagine they could only take that kind of punishment maybe a half dozen before snapping. I don't know if you'd get a metal shard shower or not, but it's best not to tempt fate. The springs you're using may not be as stiff...

My suggestion; don't buy, rent. And when you rent, get 2 sets and use 3 compressors for the front springs to avoid getting dead...
Old 04-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Maj

The heavy duty kind like in Bennito's post are the best I've used. Unfortunately, that style compressor with the thicker coil grabbers can be problematic when you try and remove the tool (especially with a spacer lift). I had to insert a crowbar and twist it (my crowbar has flats where I can get a big arse crescent wrench on it and twist) to separate the coil enough to remove the tool. This gouges the paint off the coil spring which is a bummer if you have new springs.

The style compressor with the thinner hooks is easy to remove but tend to be on the flimsy side.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:28 PM

autozone and advance auto parts have tools rental for free.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by profuse007
autozone and advance auto parts have tools rental for free.
seriously, i used some just a few hours ago . they work fine.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:02 PM

the ones from autozone are great!! very similar to the ones im about to purchase from sears.

harbor freights exploded on me, just a caution.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by 97T4RNR
I bought this one, worked great, no impact wrench needed. I felt much safer with this one than the other set I had.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NAPA-...QQcmdZViewItem
Those look pretty nice. Even that first set from Sears looked good when I saw them in the store.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:39 AM

those harbor freight ones are made out of cast iron or soemthing else very brittle. no bueno. tried it once and broke during compression.
Originally Posted by seanz0rz
the ones from autozone are great!! very similar to the ones im about to purchase from sears.

harbor freights exploded on me, just a caution.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Considering the fact that "loading" up springs in essence makes them a bomb I would invest in a good set of spring compressors if you are going to use them more than once...if frequently buy a hydraulic compressor for the wall. Otherwise, take them somewhere to get them done as a lot of places will do them for free such as the place you frequent to buy your tires, change your oil, etc...and then some places will charge you. I have some from Craftsman and they work fine...$50.00

Old 04-07-2007, 05:59 AM

^hydraulic press would be a great investment for workin on struts and pressing bearings, but that takes up a lot of space(unless you disassemble) in your garage for seldom usage.

Quick Reply: Advice on coil spring compressors