Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Adding power leather seats to my 96 base

Old 09-20-2004, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding power leather seats to my 96 base

I recently purchased leather power seats off ebay (should be comming soon). My question is how would I wire up the power seats? Is there a wire running somewhere under the carpet or do I put in a fuse and all that good stuff. Pics would be appreciated!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SpecializedBrder
I recently purchased leather power seats off ebay (should be comming soon). My question is how would I wire up the power seats? Is there a wire running somewhere under the carpet or do I put in a fuse and all that good stuff. Pics would be appreciated!
Power bucket seats are good ehh!!?? I did the same thing on my runner too. Actually there are no pre wired down the carpet, I checked it I didn't see any. So I am going to wire from the fuse box and make sure you put a fuse in the circuit. Good luck!!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:18 AM

Lol everythings gotta be a project huh. Well thanks for the help, cute golden btw. Mine just passed away, she was 12. Really well behaved dogs.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

you are right, in fact adding the powered bucket seat is one of the best mode for our SR5. The original seat sucks big time. You should add a auto dim mirror with temp/compass too. Thanks for the compliment, he was 2 or 3 months old when we took his picture. Right now he is 9 months old and super naughty!!!Sorry about your golden, do you plan to get another one??
Old 09-21-2004, 08:47 AM

Not sure about 96-98, but my 00 had two wires for the load sensor in the seat. The new seats should have three wires, two power one ground. I believe the blue one is power for the seat, forgot which is ground. It's extremely easy. Also, that is a good time to add footwell lights. I drilled two holes on the front of each seat frame and screwed on some lights from AutoZone ($2.99 ea.). That way you can have all the wires taped together and look more factory. I have a 5-wire quick-disconnect that makes it look completely factory. Just some thoughts...

Jim
Old 09-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the seats.

While you are at it, you should add the footwell lights I did. Wiring would be easy.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:36 PM

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of seats did you get? I am thinking about replacing my seats, so I'm very interested to know. Thanks!

-'99 Runner
Old 09-22-2004, 02:43 PM

Nah, prob gonna hold off on getting another dog for a while. but f we did, it would be without a doubt another golden. Anyway, I purchased the seats off ebay and they were out of a 1999 4runner. I put one in today when I got home and wow, my old cloth seats really sucked. Ill take a pic in a little while to show the comparison. The new seats have so much side support which the old seats are seriously lacking. Also the cloth seats have no back support what so ever. ill be back shortly with comparison pics!
Old 09-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Nah, prob gonna hold off on getting another dog for a while. but f we did, it would be without a doubt another golden. Anyway, I purchased the seats off ebay and they were out of a 1999 4runner. I put one in today when I got home and wow, my old cloth seats really sucked. Ill take a pic in a little while to show the comparison. The new seats have so much side support which the old seats are seriously lacking. Also the cloth seats have no back support what so ever. ill be back shortly with comparison pics!

Yup, golden is the one I agree too. The limited leather bucket seat is much more comfortable and offer more support especially for the back. My back used to hit the rail of the bottom of the back cushion, right now that is a long gone issue. Highly recommend anyone to swap the seat!! Waiting for your pic man!!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:43 AM

Cool Installing Power Seats From 97 4Runner to 98 Tacoma

I justed picked up some 97 4Runner Powered Leather Seats that I plan to install into a 98 Tacoma V6 Extended Cab.

The 98 Tacoma had a 60/40 bench seat, and I'm hoping the 4Runner seat mounts match up with the Tacoma. The track mounting holes appear to have the same dimensions as the Tacoma. The other issue may be the angle of the brackets on the tracks. Not sure if someone has done this before or not.

As far as power goes, the Driver seat has a 3-wire plug and the Passenger has a 2-wire plug. The Passenger is +12V (Blue Wire) and the GND (White w/Black).

The Driver seat I'm not as sure about. I'm assume two are +12V (Blue Wire & White w/Red) and a GND (White w/Black).

Should I wire both the passenger and the driver seat to one fuse?? Also, what size fuse should I use for these guys?? If anyone can provide any tips or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Michael1998
I justed picked up some 97 4Runner Powered Leather Seats that I plan to install into a 98 Tacoma V6 Extended Cab.

The 98 Tacoma had a 60/40 bench seat, and I'm hoping the 4Runner seat mounts match up with the Tacoma. The track mounting holes appear to have the same dimensions as the Tacoma. The other issue may be the angle of the brackets on the tracks. Not sure if someone has done this before or not.

As far as power goes, the Driver seat has a 3-wire plug and the Passenger has a 2-wire plug. The Passenger is +12V (Blue Wire) and the GND (White w/Black).

The Driver seat I'm not as sure about. I'm assume two are +12V (Blue Wire & White w/Red) and a GND (White w/Black).

Should I wire both the passenger and the driver seat to one fuse?? Also, what size fuse should I use for these guys?? If anyone can provide any tips or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Michael
As far as I know, I do not think the seat from a 4runner will fit the Tacoma. I sold my seat to one of my friend and it turned out it would not fit unless some cutting and welding job on it. If I remember correctly, 2 of the wire goes to the power seat function and one goes to the seat belt warning light. Can't remember the color, you should able to find it out with a multi meter. Good luck. =)
Old 03-15-2006, 02:24 PM

I have swapped leather seats also, from a '99. Had them put in though. Love them.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:31 PM

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I am thinking of swapping a similar set into my 99 in place of the cloth seats. The main reason the lack of lower back support in both passanger and driver seat and the lack of adjustability of the lower cushion on the passenger seat.

How much better support i do they give (lower back) and can the seat cushion angle be adjusted on both passenger and driver seat?
Thanks.