Adding the aftermarket Trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where do u get tranny temp guages? and where do u hook them up too im a noob
Old 03-28-2010, 04:55 AM
Maj

IMHO the cooler should be butted up against the A/C condenser and slightly off-center to the right to line up with the center of the radiator fan. If there is a large gap between the tranny cooler and the condenser the cooler won't reap any benefit of radiator fan airflow. Off-roading usually involves slow speeds which may not generate much airflow thus making airflow generated by the fan very important for cooling. Just my $0.02.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like these Isspro gauges.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult3.asp...=EVA_R&Units=E

My in line sensor location is before the cooler, spliced into the rubber hose with parts from Ace hardware. Make sure the sensor doesn't block the flow.

Another great way to go is a Scangauge II. That will give you many gauges at once and read using the factory sensors for the ECU. It connects up to the OBDII port. http://www.scangauge.com/products/

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-28-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Maj
IMHO the cooler should be butted up against the A/C condenser and slightly off-center to the right to line up with the center of the radiator fan. If there is a large gap between the tranny cooler and the condenser the cooler won't reap any benefit of radiator fan airflow. Off-roading usually involves slow speeds which may not generate much airflow thus making airflow generated by the fan very important for cooling. Just my $0.02.
Yeah you have a good point, the closer to a fan the better. 2 different threads of been merged here, one dealing with bypassing the factory rad ATF cooler and one not...or I can't remember now. If he still has the factory ATF cooler and this is just added to it, he should be good.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-28-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM

well my whole plan is to completely bypass the factory atf cooler and also put a filter on before the aftermarket cooler with a place to put a sensor to keep an eye on things and if necessary add a fan, but i dont believe that that will b necessary bc im about to remove my stock fan and put on a 12" and 14" custom fan setup so hopefully that should be enough
Old 04-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by kball
Hi all, new member here. I just installed my cooler last weekend along with an inline filter. B & M 70268 cooler and Magnefine filter

Thanks for that pic I bought a True Cool about 4 months ago and will be installing it this weekend. I think i'll use your picture as a guide for placement. Do you have a shot of the lower drivers corner? Were all the holes you used factory?

Thanks again..
Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Richjrosa
Thanks for that pic I bought a True Cool about 4 months ago and will be installing it this weekend. I think i'll use your picture as a guide for placement. Do you have a shot of the lower drivers corner? Were all the holes you used factory?

Thanks again..
LOL, well, my placement has already come under scrutiny on here so "place" at your own risk! Most seem to like it behind the center support right up against the a/c condensor. The driver side lower support is actually going straight up from the cooler to truck. If you look at the picture you can see the bolt head. It's right below the horn. So basically both driver side mounting brackets are going straight up and down. I did not drill any new holes but I did have to supply some extra nuts, bolt, washers etc... I do not have a picture of that corner but if you need one let me know and I'll take more.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by TundraTuff
I have the Mishimoto heavy duty trans cooler (the one that comes with a fan and all) mounted right in front of the radiator.
Im assuming the fan kicks on at a specific temp?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Lots of threads talk about that. I tested just to be sure. I pulled the lines off and put them in a bucket and started the truck and watched which one the fluid came out of. when you are looking at the front of the truck the line going into the left side (passenger) of the radiator is the "hot" from the trans line. The line coming out of the radiator on the right (driver) side is the return to the trans line.

What's the size of the filter? 3/8"?

I've read where It's best to have the filter on the return line, not the trans line. maybe somehow it resticts it???

Your idea has inspired me to do the same setup, but I think ill install mine on the return line. Thanks for posting the pic.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:48 PM

Yes I used a 3/8 filter. The smaller sizes would work as well. I read a lot of the same thing about putting the filter on the return line. Not sure the reasoning. Do they think cooler fluid filters better? My thinking was I have an old tranny and a new cooler. I wanted to keep the gunk from the tranny out of the new cooler so the cooler doesn't get plugged up.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Yes I used a 3/8 filter. The smaller sizes would work as well. I read a lot of the same thing about putting the filter on the return line. Not sure the reasoning. Do they think cooler fluid filters better? My thinking was I have an old tranny and a new cooler. I wanted to keep the gunk from the tranny out of the new cooler so the cooler doesn't get plugged up.
I think the reason is in case there is gunk stuck in the cooler and it gets dislodged it keeps it out of the tranny. I think if you know the cooler is clean I'd rather have the ATF hotter going through the filter (for less restriction).
Old 04-14-2010, 05:18 AM

Here's a couple (bad) shots of my cooler.

You can barely see the bottom of it in the top picture, but it's mounted with the connections on the bottom, near the bottom of the AC compressor.

I mounted it with the bypass on the bottom because it seemed like the easiest way at the time. However, with how I routed the lines I can't get the skidplate back on, so I'm going to have to redo my setup at some point. I'm thinking I will probably copy KBall's setup. The main problem I encountered was that I couldn't get my grille off, although I didn't try it after removing the bumper. Any tips on that little procedure of joy?

Last edited by gdutch; 04-14-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:34 AM

check the pics in this link.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/9...l-98-a-145621/
Old 04-14-2010, 05:46 AM

Wow, thanks for that. Here I was trying to press them down from the outside
Old 04-14-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by gdutch
Wow, thanks for that. Here I was trying to press them down from the outside
lol, that's how I did it too! I saw those pics afterward. I felt like a big dummy! Live and learn...
Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 PM

so im going with the b&m 70264 cooler side mounted with ports to the left. which port should be used as the inlet(from tranny). ive been hearing mixed ideas from all over and not sure how to do it. anybody have ideas? thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 06:43 PM

Not sure for the B&M, but I know with the TruCool it doesn't make a difference which way the fluid flows through it. Do the instructions say anything about it?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 PM

I say do it however you want. You're going to get all kinds of opinions. Would either way make that much of a temp difference? IDK Are you installing a filter? Maybe that will help you decide based on how your hose routing will go. The B&M coolers have "multiple flow paths" so one way or the other, the oil is going in one port and out the other.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gdutch/kball -I am no expert-I am a manny tranny guy myself- but earlier in the thread directional arrows are attached to mt goat posting.

Might as well use gravity to your advantage if that makes some sense? In up top and out from the bottom?

summer bump-let's help out all our auto tranny 3rd gen friends and all agree on which is the best cooler-price relative of course....I get the impression synthetic ATF fluid is a wise idea also...

Total cost of all parts needed ? I am helping out my friend with a 01 Limited and she needs to budget accordingly...
Old 05-13-2010, 04:54 AM

b&m 70264 is bout 75 off of ebay shipped (and thats a "kit") and then synthetic fluid is about 7 bucks a quart and if you ad the tranny cooler and drain the tranny at the same time then you would need at most 6 quarts so around 120 bucks plus time to have it put in is what i would say at least thats what im speending

Quick Reply: Adding the aftermarket Trans cooler