Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Addco Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Addco Sway Bars

Had Addco front and rear sway bars installed on my '98 4Runner recently since I rarely use my vehicle off-road. Love what it has done to flatten out the truck during cornering. Problem I have is with some minor squeeking that I now experience, even after applying silicon-based lube to the Addco polyurethane bushings. Do the Energy Suspension bushings refered to in this forum eliminate this problem? Are they available for the front and back (the front end tends to squeek more)? Also, I replaced the OE endlinks with the Addco ones. Didn't catch the recommendation to reuse the OE ones until after the fact. What's the reason for keeping the OE ones? Thanks, Dan
Old 10-07-2003, 09:18 PM

I'm not sure about the bushings but as far as the endlinks go, from what I understand is that the OE endlinks use a ball and socket joint which is of better quality than the Addco supplied ones.

If you hold them up side by side, the OE ones look thicker and sturdier as well. This is one of the best mods I've done to my vehicle, but I am getting a loud clank when I turn right all the way and pull up into a driveway...

Nick
Old 10-07-2003, 11:44 PM

Sorry for the silly question..
keep in mind that I know nothing of auto mechanics.. So I may from time to time ask something rather stooding sounding like this..

what are "ADDCO Sways" ? what do they do.. and why would one install them? Finally I have a stock 4Runner 2000 SR5.
would I want these on mine? do I need "ADDCO Sways" on it?

you may now commence making fun of me..
Old 10-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Contributing Member

Check out jalaber's section on Handling. He has one of the best write-ups available from installation of Addco bars to the Energy Suspension bushings to use.

http://www.geocities.com/jalaber4r/
Old 10-08-2003, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Addco Sway Bars

Originally posted by stubbies
Had Addco front and rear sway bars installed on my '98 4Runner recently since I rarely use my vehicle off-road. Love what it has done to flatten out the truck during cornering. Problem I have is with some minor squeeking that I now experience, even after applying silicon-based lube to the Addco polyurethane bushings. Do the Energy Suspension bushings refered to in this forum eliminate this problem? Are they available for the front and back (the front end tends to squeek more)? Also, I replaced the OE endlinks with the Addco ones. Didn't catch the recommendation to reuse the OE ones until after the fact. What's the reason for keeping the OE ones? Thanks, Dan
I cannot say that they totally eliminate the squeaking but the ES bushings are a huge improvement. They are graphite impregnated which decreases the squeaking and they are greasable which makes re-greasing a few minute job at the most. Use water proof marine grease, it lasts longer.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BlueTrane

If you hold them up side by side......
Nick

Most of us prefer the ball joint over the L bracket design.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ALBPM
Check out jalaber's section on Handling. He has one of the best write-ups available from installation of Addco bars to the Energy Suspension bushings to use.

Geocities That was a mirror site of mine for a while. Thanks for reminding me that is still out there, albeit way out of date.

Everything is now maintained at www.Top4Runners.com.

Last edited by jalaber; 10-08-2003 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:38 AM
TOR

Sway Bars

Nice setup, anyone know how much it cost?

Todd
Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Addco Bar Squeeking

I have the standard problem with the front polyurethane bushings squeeking when they get dry of grease. I searched several other SUV sites and learned that many use plumbers teflon tape to wrap the bar before seating the bushing over that area. I don't like the greasable bushings because they appear to be weaker than those supplied by Addco, so I thought I'd give the teflon tape a shot. It's been a month so far without any noise at all from the front bar area. This works! Many say it's permanent. Hope so...
Old 08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
ema

Originally Posted by ALBPM
Check out jalaber's section on Handling. He has one of the best write-ups available from installation of Addco sway bars to the Energy Suspension bushings to use.

Thanks thanks. This had been very helpful. I just purchased mine form an on-line dealer and didn't know how to do it,but thanks for the link. It's installed now.