Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ADDCO Anti-swaybar bushing SOLUTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADDCO Anti-swaybar bushing SOLUTION

Hello everyone. For those that have upgraded to the Addco anti-swaybar and are not happy with the squeaky polyurethane bushings or the strength of the Energy Suspensions universal bushing and bracket kit, I have reseached many hours to find a good solution.

For reference, I own a 1997 4Runner Limited 4x4

FOR THE FRONT:

The front stabilizer bushing AND bracket from the newest generation Tacoma fits in the front of my 4Runner with the 1.25" = 31.75mm Addco bar. The Tacoma bracket is a beefier version of the original front bracket the 4Runner came with and is MUCH stronger than the Addco and Energy Suspension bracket. It features offset holes that are 3 inches apart EXACTLY like the original 4Runner bracket. Although the Tacoma comes with a 30mm bar, this works.

Part # for the front Tacoma stabilizer bushings: 48815-04080 (left and right are the same)
Part # for the left front Tacoma bracket: 48824-04020
Part # for the right front Tacoma bracket: 48829-04010

FOR THE REAR:

The front stabilizer bushings off a 1997 Tacoma 2WD fits in the stock rear 4Runner brackets. The Addco rear bar is 1" = 25.4mm and the 1997 Tacoma 2WD uses a 26mm front bushing. I repeat, the 1997 2WD Tacoma bushing can be used with your original 4Runner rear brackets. It's a perfect fit.

Part # for the front bushings of a 1997 Tacoma 2WD: 48815-04030 (left and right are the same)

MINOR MODIFICATIONS IF YOU WANT:

I manufactured little spacer plates out of 1/16" steel plate for the front and rear to space the brackets away from the frame slightly. This squeezes the rubber a bit less and gives a better fit. Even without the spacer plates, the fit is very good.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS FROM CHANGE:

Changing from polyurethane back to factory rubber yeilded very good results. Vehicle lean in turns remained the same, yet the 4Runner felt as if the suspension worked more freely over bumps using the rubber. Polyurethane binds the suspension easily since it tries to work as a cheap bearing instead of a bushing. Overall, the change back to rubber bushings is a major plus in my opinion. Also, the front gets very strong brackets for those who have broken their Addco or Energy Suspension ones. I hope this helps someone!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 AM

sways or bushings??

good post!!! I'm trying to eliminate as much as body roll as possible. Do you think replacing just the bushings will do most of the job of elimination?? If not, will replacing the sways with Addaco's do much more??

Last edited by NITO 98' Limited; 04-14-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 PM

Hey NITO. Switching to ADDCO sway bars will substantially reduce body roll....more than just changing the bushings on the stock sway bars. If you do decide to go with the ADDCO, expect the ride to be much harsher and much less forgiving in terms of handling. You will notice that with the ADDCO bars, you will have a lot less traction in general unless the pavement is totally dry. In corners, the stiffness of the ADDCO bar will cause the load from the inner front wheel to be transmitted to the outter front wheel potentially overloading it and causing understeer. Also the stiffer rear bar can cause snap oversteer more easily.

Initially I had the ADDCO sway bars with the supplied polyurethane bushings. After much reading, I discovered that stock rubber bushings are actually superior to polyurethane because they bind the suspension less. The rubber bushing has less binding because the sway bar easily twists the bushing (it doesn't spin like a bearing). The ride was much smoother with the ADDCO sway bars AFTER I converted back to Toyota rubber bushings, but it was still too stiff for me (but this might be a good option for you), so I went back to my stock 4Runner sway bars and bought new Toyota rubber bushings for them. I was surprised at how good the stock bars were with all new components. Also, with the stock sway bars, the 4Runner grips the road VERY well in the rain.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by JC_ez
Hey NITO. Switching to ADDCO sway bars will substantially reduce body roll....more than just changing the bushings on the stock sway bars. If you do decide to go with the ADDCO, expect the ride to be much harsher and much less forgiving in terms of handling. You will notice that with the ADDCO bars, you will have a lot less traction in general unless the pavement is totally dry. In corners, the stiffness of the ADDCO bar will cause the load from the inner front wheel to be transmitted to the outter front wheel potentially overloading it and causing understeer. Also the stiffer rear bar can cause snap oversteer more easily.

Initially I had the ADDCO sway bars with the supplied polyurethane bushings. After much reading, I discovered that stock rubber bushings are actually superior to polyurethane because they bind the suspension less. The rubber bushing has less binding because the sway bar easily twists the bushing (it doesn't spin like a bearing). The ride was much smoother with the ADDCO sway bars AFTER I converted back to Toyota rubber bushings, but it was still too stiff for me (but this might be a good option for you), so I went back to my stock 4Runner sway bars and bought new Toyota rubber bushings for them. I was surprised at how good the stock bars were with all new components. Also, with the stock sway bars, the 4Runner grips the road VERY well in the rain.
Well I only drive on the city roads (very little, if any, offroading) so I'm really going for a stiff ride on the corners. So maybe upgrading to a stiffer sway but newer OEM bushings will be the best fit for my results.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 AM

just bought the addco sway bars 4 a 2002 4unner limited. would the above listed parts work on my vehicle? also, how the hell do u get the sway bars off??? there is a square nut that looks like it is welded on? and the head of the bolt is square as well. any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Hi onroadrunner. The parts I listed worked on my 1997 4Runner Limited 4x4 as described in the first post. I'm almost 100% sure that it should work on the 2002 4RUnner as well because I do not think they changed any of the mounting parts or the sway bar design from the 1997 model. The front Tacoma bushings do squish a bit because they are meant for a 30mm bar which is slightly smaller than the front ADDCO bar.

To remove the front bar, you need to remove one bolt and one nut (not 2 bolts). The sway bar bushing bracket has a nut welded for one of the holes and a bolt welded for the other hole. I am not sure why they did this.

The rear is pretty easy. Just remove 2 bolts for each sway bar bushing bracket.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and to think i broke my rear sway bar, and my front sway bar is going to be coming off soon
Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM

would a stiffer sway bar adversily effect off road performance on an otherwise stock 4runner?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by onroadrunner
would a stiffer sway bar adversily effect off road performance on an otherwise stock 4runner?
Yes it would hinder offroad performance a bit because it takes away some of the articulation of the suspension. If you require the on road performance of the ADDCO sway bars, but want to keep the offroad performance as well, you should look into sway bar end link disconnects. I think a few on this forum have used them and even manufacture them too.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as another solution, I made new brackets out of "Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene" (UHMW) and a chunk of steel. The UHMW is very rigid, reducing any movement, but permanently self-lubricated to reduce friction and binding while remaining squeak-free... I have had the mounts on for a week now with good reports, I will get pics up on a new thread sometime soon.

-notes: I have the 1-1/4 addco front bar, and have had to replace addco and performance energy brackets due to them bending and becoming loose
Old 07-29-2008, 11:51 AM

hey has anyone done any of these suspension mods lately? This forum subject has been quiet for a long time.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM

I have.

I have the front Addco bar only. I used the Tacoma bushings and the Tacoma bracket mentioned above over the Addco hardware. Why? Because the Addco hardware is inferior in build quality and strength. I did not use the Energy Suspension parts (greasable) because I didn't want to go through the trouble of greasing the polyurethane bushings and still having the potential for squeaks.

I have not gone off-road and on the street, this set-up reduces body roll dramatically. Like, the first time I turned a corner after I installed the bar, it was nothing short of a 'wow' reaction.

However, as time progressed, I have noticed several things that I dislike. Perhaps it's because my stock suspension is shot, or maybe it's because the bar is much larger and the bushings hold it very tight, but, my 4Runner eats end-links for breakfast. Yes, on the street. So far I've broken both and have replaced both under warranty, so I don't mind so much. Maybe it's time for tougher (thicker) custom end-links. 4Crawler makes great custom sets, if anyone is interested.

Other then eating end-links for breakfast, my overall traction has decreased and I do not like this. This is especially so in the rain. I can make my rear end break loose around a turn if it's raining or if the road is gravel. This never happened with the stock sway bar and the stock bushings, which were shot to crap.

Another member here has noticed the same thing and I believe it should be taken into great consideration before committing to the addco bar(s):

Hey NITO. Switching to ADDCO sway bars will substantially reduce body roll....more than just changing the bushings on the stock sway bars. If you do decide to go with the ADDCO, expect the ride to be much harsher and much less forgiving in terms of handling. You will notice that with the ADDCO bars, you will have a lot less traction in general unless the pavement is totally dry. In corners, the stiffness of the ADDCO bar will cause the load from the inner front wheel to be transmitted to the outter front wheel potentially overloading it and causing understeer.

....I went back to my stock 4Runner sway bars and bought new Toyota rubber bushings for them. I was surprised at how good the stock bars were with all new components. Also, with the stock sway bars, the 4Runner grips the road VERY well in the rain.
I consider the advice above canonical. Yeah, the Addco bar does GREAT when the road is dry. Body roll is reduced very noticeably.

There is a place on the highway here where there's a particularly nasty high-speed curve where the road becomes two-lane because of unending construction and very narrow. You share this with semis. Anyway, with my shot suspension and shot bushings on my old sway-bar, it was nerve wracking. With the Addco bar, I went through the curve and forgot that I was going through it, only after I passed it I realized that it happened effortlessly. This is great!

However, beware otherwise. Should the road surface be something other then dry, you WILL have a lot less traction. It WILL be touchier with the handling and you WILL have under-steer in certain situations.

Decide for yourself. I'm picking up a set of new rubber bushings and brackets this winter, wire-brushing my old bar and going over it with some rustoleum and sticking it back under my 4Runner.

When I buy my Miata or Celica or whatever it is that I'm buying to save gas (keeping the 4Runner) , I'll be sure to put Addco bars on those. I do not recommend them for our vehicles.

Also - one last point. If you upgrade your suspension (lift) , you don't need to worry about disconnecting the end-links because if a wheel has no weight on it, it'll spin regardless, so the stock sway bar doesn't really reduce useful articulation. With the addco bar, it's a whole other story and disconnects are a must.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

well I'm still stumped of what to do. I don't want to lose traction, but I want the least amount of body roll. Maybe I'll go in baby steps of R&D and see what works best for me. I'm thinking to go with different bushings to see what feedback I get, then diff. springs for comfort and maybe less roll, then maybe to the sways. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:09 AM

I changed the shocks to Bilsteins and I noticed a bit less body roll as well as less dive when braking.

If you drive a lot in the rain or snow, I would suggest against the ADDCO bars. I had a few scary experiences when I had the ADDCO bars during rainy weather. The ADDCO bars eliminated so much body lean that it made me feel TOO confident in the corners (which led to some nasty understeer). After that incident, I thought a lot about the pros and cons of the bar and decided to remove them.

I tried calling ADDCO to see if they could make me custom bars with a smaller diameter (a diameter between the stock size and the commercially available ADDCO bars), but they quoted something like $600 for that...so that was not an option for me. Maybe you can try calling them to see if they have any specials on custom bars?

I think TRD Japan makes some aftermarket sway bars for the 4Runner that are only slightly thicker than stock. They may be hard to find, but they might be a better compromise between cornering and wet traction.

I know most people on this forum are against lowering the 4Runner, but physically speaking, the best way to reduce body lean would be by lowering the center of gravity or widening the track of the vehicle. I think Performance Products sells 1 inch progressive lowering springs (1 inch lower than stock 4WD models) that compliment the Bilstein shocks. I'm not sure if widening the track of the 4Runner would be easy. Maybe a wider wheel with an offset that moves the wheel out more may help slightly, but the benefits may not be worth the cost.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 PM

FOR THE REAR:

The front stabilizer bushings off a 1997 Tacoma 2WD fits in the stock rear 4Runner brackets. The Addco rear bar is 1" = 25.4mm and the 1997 Tacoma 2WD uses a 26mm front bushing. I repeat, the 1997 2WD Tacoma bushing can be used with your original 4Runner rear brackets. It's a perfect fit.

Part # for the front bushings of a 1997 Tacoma 2WD: 48815-04030 (left and right are the same)
I know this thread is very old, however it helped me A LOT, so I figured I would contribute to it.

I have a 2001 4runner Sport edition with TRD supercharger... URD 7th injector, OME suspension lift, and the addco front and rear sway bars.

The poly bushing squeaked no matter what I lubed them with, and, the cheap brackets broke and bent on me... so I did this fix and went to rubber... following the exact part number guidlines on this forum and getting them from a local toyota dealer parts department.

This worked fine for years, but I had a rusty bolt break on one of my rear brackets, and the bar bent the bracket, and the bushing (front from a tacoma) fell off...

when I tried to reorder this bushing... i found out...

TOYOTA NO LONGER MAKES THE SUGGESTED REAR BUSHING FROM THIS POST

Toyota part number 48815-04030 is no longer available and NOTHING... i mean NOTHING i could find on the internet or by talking to parts reps at toyota, napa, carquest, advance auto, or auto zone... could cross reference it to any other part number or vehicle.

I found a kit made by MOOG which I believe is for a 1970 ford mustang 5.0 liter with 1" sway bar... and it is now on my truck.

Moog K90401 is the part number.

The bushings are blue... and stiffer than rubber but... not as stiff as poly. Moog says it is some special rubber compound...

It comes with brakets which FIT the rear of the 4runner, however they weigh slightly less than the stock brackets, and seem possibly not as strong... but time will tell, the price is right for this kit however... you can get the whole kit ith 2 bushings and 2 brackets, for the cost of one stock bracket...

All i know is, it was this, or go back to the energy suspension poly bushings.

I agree with the OP though, in that it seems like the poly bushings bind up the suspension more than the rubber does... and rubber allows more free travel...

so... if anyone else finds this thread useful ( even though 3rd gens are getting old now... and addco sways aren't for everyone...)

note that a 1997 tacoma 2wd front bushing is no longer made.

Last edited by Gavin Lebowitz; 09-05-2012 at 08:44 PM.