Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AC Help? 200 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Help? 200 4Runner

I have a 2000 4Runner 5spd V6.

I've done some reading on AC issues, since last fall mine stopped blowing cold.

At the time wrestled with just adding Duracool, or going to the dealer and at least getting it tested. After considerable back and forth I went with the dealer.

They pressure tested the system, put in a die and told me I need $2500 in work. From there I talked to some other garages, where the price came to about 1100. At one garage they actually suggested that before I go replacing parts try some of the products out there such as Duracool.

So. I did.

went through the directions, ran the vehicle, put AC on full to cycle the compressor, couldn't hear the compressor come in but then the instructions said if there was not much pressure it wouldn't come on, and to add product. So Put the gauge on the low side, had a presure just under 20 (should be between 28 and 38 according to directions). So, I put part of a can of Duracool in and brought it up to approximately 28) compressor now came on making a bit of a bearing sound.. so I figured I must have crapped out the bearings running it all winter with not enought pressure. The vehicle blows cold right away then after a couple of minutes not so cold.

Theory.
Since I had the pressure test, there is a die in the system, I understand they also use a gas to pressurize. Given that there was still pressure in the system, it must be this gas that is in there and therefore not enought of the coolant is getting in due to the pressure. (this does beg the question that if the pressure held through the winter to the point that there is 20psi in there, the leaks in the system could not have been that significant?)

Anyway. I guess I need to take it in and get someone to vacate what is in there, so I can put a can of sealant in, with some duracool. (in hind sight I guess I should have just gone with the do it at home method in the first place so I would not have to purge the system of the pressure test gas.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 06:25 AM

Were you able to find the leak after the dye was put in the system? If the pressure is low, the only way it got low was because it leaked somewhere (either o-ring, worn pressure fitting or corrosion of the condenser). The sealant method is just a bandaid. You need to get that leak fixed before you go replacing or re-filling the system.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 AM

I agree. I was going to use one of the cans of sealent. Probably not the best but if it is a oring or fitting leak that is small enought I thought that might work.

Last october they presurized the system. They put the dye in and told me the Dryer, and condensor needed to be replaced. I can not visually see the dye. I've looked all under the hood, under the dash, (as best as I can) no sign.

Certainly there is a leak. How best to fix the leak, sealant vs new parts?

When I put the gauge on last night pressure was 20psi. Assuming they charged the system to 38psi with a test gas, the system did not leak everything out so I figure the leak must not be a big one? therefore the sealant might work?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 AM

AC Evaporator and Dryer Location - 3rd Gen 4runner

Can anyone tell me where the evaoprator, dryer and thermal expansion vavles are on the 3rd gen 4runner.

I'm trying to find my leak.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM

The dryer should be in front by the radiator under the hood. It's a tank a little bigger than a soda can and ususally has a small round glass window on the top.

The evaporator and the thermal expansion valve should be under the dash near the floor/glove box. I don't know what's involved taking it out on the 3rd gen, but on my old 2nd gen it wasn't too bad to get to.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks.

That is great.. I found service manual so I thought I would take a look tonight again to see if I can see the leak.

Alternatively I'll take the system in, get them to evacuate what is in there, maybe replace the parts myself, then take it somewhere to have the system charged properly.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.