Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

About to purchase 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to purchase 3rd Gen

Hello guys, I'm looking for a newer 4Runner, I'm looking at a 2k2 sport , wich I had thought had a rear diff lock, but I guess it's a center diff lock. SO wich one is better, the rear diff lock or the center diff lock ? wich one came in what year 4Runner's ??? THANKS
Old 07-20-2006, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the '99 models for sure had the diff lock. I believe eariler 3rd Gens did too. But w/ the '99, you get taller springs which makes this year sit an inch taller than the rest.

I have an '02 Sport and love it! The Center Diff lock works great, but the Rear E-locker is probably better. One thing though, the '01s - '02s have TRAC and VSC systems which are 2 different types of traction control systems which earlier models do not have.

Either way, IMO, all 3rd gens are great, but if you want more creature comforts and an updated appearance, go 2002!

Since I have an '02 Sport, of course my vote will be heavily swayed.

good luck

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-20-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cimahar
Hello guys, I'm looking for a newer 4Runner, I'm looking at a 2k2 sport , wich I had thought had a rear diff lock, but I guess it's a center diff lock. SO wich one is better, the rear diff lock or the center diff lock ? wich one came in what year 4Runner's ??? THANKS
Well, I suppose it depends on what you plan on doing...

The '02 is "full-time 4wd" which essentially means it is AWD, with a center differential, making it possible to drive on-road without the 4WD/AWD system binding up... The front and rear drive shafts spin all the time, and can spin at different speeds. If you are driving off-road in AWD with no traction control, you will have a minimum of one tire spinning in any situation, but you will be screwed if any tires lift off of the ground. The advantage over a 2WD is that this tire could be in the front or the back, and AWD systems tend to have advanced traction control systems which help make sure no one tire spins without the others, by automatically applying the brakes.

Up to '99 is the "part-time 4wd" which is a T-case with a 2WD option, that lets you drive in rear-wheel drive on the street. When you shift to 4wd, the T-case makes your front drive shaft spin also giving you 4wd, but the front and rear driveshafts spin at the same speed no matter what, making 4WD unpleasant on dry road surfaces (you will tend to get binding/tire screaming), possiby breakage. If you are driving off-road in 4WD with no locker and no traction control system, you will have a minimum of two tires spinning at any one time (one on the front axle, one on the rear axle), making your rig far more capable off road than a 2WD or possibly an AWD if neither has TRAC.

When you press the "Center Diff Lock" button on your '02, it basically makes the 4WD system similar to a "Part-Time system" where the AWD part (center differential) is disabled and the front and rear driveshafts will spin at the same speed no matter what. This will give you the off-road capabilities of a standard 4x4 (not taking into account any rear lockers or traction control systems).

BUT, the RR DIFF LOCK is an entirely different animal. This locker locks your two rear wheels together, so they both spin at the same speed no matter what. This option gives you vastly imrpoved off-road handling, but can not be used in anything but 4WD-LOW (ignoring grey-wire mods).

So, to answer your question:

CENTER DIFF LOCK- AWD 4Runner option, makes your AWD system behave like a part-time 4WD system. Good for driving on the street where low-traction conditions are possible like ice, snow, or rain.

RR DIFF LOCK- Application for off-road only, makes your rig far more capable off road but cannot be used on-road.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:15 AM

Check this link here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2001-2002-full-time-4wd-4wd-systems-80513/
It explains the 4wd systems more in depth. Depends on what you are using it for. I wheel my '01, and with the center diff locked it is essentially a 4wd. They also use ATRAC which will provide for about a 70/30 power split between the wheels, when one wheel slips, the brakes grab, so power is transferred to the wheel that doesnt slip. This is true for the front and the back. A rear locker provides a 50.50 power split, but just in the rear. In some situations the ATRAC may work better than a rear locker. I would say you have a better shot with the 99s or better(lower miles, better shape, etc) Depending on how hard you plan on wheeling it, you may need to buy lockers in the future, but I wheel it moderately IMO, and I have been good so far, it works really well for weekend warriors like myself. There is a TON of info here, probably the best 3rd gen reference around, so SEARCH, and post up any additional questions.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, so 2000 and up 4Runners can run in 2wd also, that I did not know. but, they can also run in 4wd on the street, while 1999's and down can not. All of the rest of my stuff still applies.

Basically, you only want the rear locker if you plan to do heavy off-roading, but they are only available up to '99.

Now what would be cool is a 4runner with center diff lock AND RR Diff Lock, that would give a plethora of options for all terrain types, from nice roads to icy roads to muddy forrest roads, and everything in between

Last edited by mastacox; 07-20-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

I think all Limited models of the pre '01s had the multi-mode auto which has the AWD option which my mom has in her '99 Limited which AWD is used when it's slick out. Her's is also blessed with the locker which she'll never use.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:56 AM

if you want the best of both worlds for your 2002...buy a rear ARB air locker.

Hence you have the convienence and practicality of the center diff for snow, rain, mild logging roads...convenience of 2WD for city/highway (saving fuel)...probably 70% of your driving

and if you want to wheel the ARB rear locker kicks in (because it is selectable)..and when your done wheelin' unselect it and your back to the other goodies....the other 30%

Hope this helps!
-B
Old 07-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Ok, this gets complicated, basically a 99 or newer will run in 2wd AWD and 4wd. It is in 2wd normally, when you click the 4wd button it is actually in AWD, and when you lock the center diff your are in 4wd. The atrac is always ov, so the brakes will always grab hwen a will starts to slip, which transfers power to the wheel not getting power. But when you lock the center diff your VSC goes off(you can kick the ass end around, and slide the truck). Hope this helps, there is a ton of info on here about it, it just may be a little tough to sift through.

But yeah, if you have the money, an '02 and an aftermarket selectable is probably THE best way to go. The Rear diff lock is a nice option, but it is too bad they didnt have the option of a center diff lock also. The new Jeep Commander's and older Benz G Classes had seperate Center/Rear/Front Diff lock switches.

It is much easier to add a rear diff or front diff locker, then a center(because you don;t have a cneter differential on the older trucks). SO, for the extra $600-$700 for a rear locker, I'd go that route, if you even wind up needing it. I havent gotten that good yet. I'd go 99 or newer, and add a locker if you think you need one later.

Last edited by JHupp; 07-20-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 AM

Thanks Brian! I just learned something.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OutdoorLiving
Thanks Brian! I just learned something.
I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but anyway

you're welcome

Last edited by mastacox; 07-20-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by BADLNDS
if you want the best of both worlds for your 2002...buy a rear ARB air locker.

Hence you have the convienence and practicality of the center diff for snow, rain, mild logging roads...convenience of 2WD for city/highway (saving fuel)...probably 70% of your driving

and if you want to wheel the ARB rear locker kicks in (because it is selectable)..and when your done wheelin' unselect it and your back to the other goodies....the other 30%

Hope this helps!
-B
Great Advice!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

I have an 01 and it doest very well even on some pretty tough 2 wheel motion off roading. The center diff lock is not the advantage it is the Trac system. It is not quite as good as a rear locker but it is not far behind. Ask me how I know.

I have done lots of trail runs where at the end someone with a locked rig asks me what type of locker I have and if it is front and rear. Then are totally floored when I say I have no locker.

I would go for the 01-02. Like already stated you can add the ARB or e-locker later and have basically the best of both worlds and nearly the exact same set up as the new FJ.

If you do find a 99 and older make sure it has the factory e-locker. If you go 99 and older with no rear locker in it you will have to add something because it will be totally open open.

Just my Opinion. If you don't mind the size, look into an 90's land cruiser which had the option of front and rear e-lockers with a solid front and rear axle set up.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

There's no real mention of 2000's, so what does my 2000 Highlander Edition have? Anything?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by unr.frosh
There's no real mention of 2000's, so what does my 2000 Highlander Edition have? Anything?
What does your 4WD shifter look like? Does it have a "4WD" button on the side, or is it sort of a J-gate shifter? Do you have a "Center Diff Lock" button?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

No button that I am aware of, my shifter is a J-gate shifter of sorts. Where would the button be?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:25 PM

what I wonder if is Atrac can be added to older models that has ABS. what would be needed for this?
thanks
Old 07-20-2006, 04:04 PM

No button that I am aware of, my shifter is a J-gate shifter of sorts. Where would the button be?
The button would be labled "4WD" and is located on the drivers side of the 4x4 gear shifter - I thought this was the standard configuration for Limiteds, but maybe not.

The ideal (IFS) setup (for max. offroad traction) would be a 96-99 4x4 w/ the RR DIFF LOCK - electronic locking rear differential with 4.30 gears.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that's a no...

I was looking at an '02 4Runner in Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago (how far I've come in a few short weeks on the ins and outs of a 3rd gen) and it had the Multi-Mode 4WD (I was looking for the coveted "RR DIFF LOCK" button and found "CENTER DIFF LOCK" instead ). The 4WD shifter only moves forward and backwards to choose Hi or Lo (not sideways and back up for 4WD-Lo as with a more traditional t-case) and the handle has a button on the side that says "4WD." At the time I did not realize that the button actually turns on and off the 4WD.

Chalk that up for another thing learn-ed...
Old 07-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
what I wonder if is Atrac can be added to older models that has ABS. what would be needed for this?
thanks
Not for sure but I think it would be really hard to do. From what I understand it is an integrated part of the computer and and tied to the abs system also.

If you don't have a rear locker on your 99 you would be good to go if you added an ARB or swap in a factory locker. The e-locker rear ends are very hard to find here in SD though.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
Not for sure but I think it would be really hard to do. From what I understand it is an integrated part of the computer and and tied to the abs system also.

If you don't have a rear locker on your 99 you would be good to go if you added an ARB or swap in a factory locker. The e-locker rear ends are very hard to find here in SD though.
ATRAC a pretty advanced because it senses wheel slippage and body roll, and applys brakes to wheels INDIVIDUALLY. That's why the master cylinder looks like something out of the space shuttle. You would have to replace the master cylinder (at least $1500 I think) and then get all of the sensor equipment for it. Basically, it can't be done.

Quick Reply: About to purchase 3rd Gen