Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AAL Install Question (Grand Junction)

Old 10-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAL Install Question (Grand Junction)

So I've never removed the springs from a truck before.... The directions that came w/ the AAL's say not to remove the entire spring assemby, but to drop thhe axle and unbolt the spring's center pin, insert the AAL and bolt everything back together.
Sounds way too easy.

Is this the best way to do it? Is this possible to do by myself w/ the proper tools?

Anyone in the Grand Junction area want to earn some beer and pizza?

'04 Taco 4X4.

Thanks~ Scary
Old 10-07-2004, 09:59 AM

Yup, it's that easy and you can do it yourself with minor tools. An impact will be great help as the ubolts are long winded.

If you got a way to jack the truck up high enough (hi-lift, forklift, hoist), I find it best to remove the u bolts and lift the truck up high enough to install the AAL in the pack whilst leaving the axle on the ground. Chances are you are going to need a longer center pin and those can most likely be had at a local auto spring shop for a couple dollaz. I can't recall the length of the stock bolt or I'd tell ya what length to get but I usually just take the short one in there with me and get one about 1/2-3/4" longer. Once you get the AAL in their and the center pin tightened back down, just lower the truck back down on the axle and tighten the ubolts back up. Recheck the ubolts after a hundred or so miles and then recheck em again some couple hundred or so miles later just to be safe.

Viola! AAL installed and you saved some install cash.

The only other thing I can think of mentioning right now is to pay attention to your brake and locker (if you got an elocker) lines when liftin' the truck up off the axle. Shouldn't need to disconnect em but you definately wanna watch em so you don't go streatchin' em or rippin' em apart by lifting too far. Lift just enough to disassemble and reassemble the leaf pack.

Good luck and Happy Moddin'!

BTW: UPS says your bracket was delivered but they didn't get a signiture. They probably just left it for ya while you was at work. Just wanna make sure you got it.

Last edited by SloPoke; 10-07-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SloPoke
Yup, it's that easy and you can do it yourself with minor tools. An impact will be great help as the ubolts are long winded.

If you got a way to jack the truck up high enough (hi-lift, forklift, hoist), I find it best to remove the u bolts and lift the truck up high enough to install the AAL in the pack whilst leaving the axle on the ground. Chances are you are going to need a longer center pin and those can most likely be had at a local auto spring shop for a couple dollaz. I can't recall the length of the stock bolt or I'd tell ya what length to get but I usually just take the short one in there with me and get one about 1/2-3/4" longer. Once you get the AAL in their and the center pin tightened back down, just lower the truck back down on the axle and tighten the ubolts back up. Recheck the ubolts after a hundred or so miles and then recheck em again some couple hundred or so miles later just to be safe.

Viola! AAL installed and you saved some install cash.

The only other thing I can think of mentioning right now is to pay attention to your brake and locker (if you got an elocker) lines when liftin' the truck up off the axle. Shouldn't need to disconnect em but you definately wanna watch em so you don't go streatchin' em or rippin' em apart by lifting too far. Lift just enough to disassemble and reassemble the leaf pack.

Good luck and Happy Moddin'!

Thanks for the info SloPoke. One more question...... The metal bands that seem to hold the springs togther at either end, do they have to be removed? I got the FabTec AAL's and they are a bit longer than normal I think.

As soom as the UPS guy brings the BPV bracket I'll start on this.

Thanks again~ Scary
Old 10-07-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scary Mc
Thanks for the info SloPoke. One more question...... The metal bands that seem to hold the springs togther at either end, do they have to be removed? I got the FabTec AAL's and they are a bit longer than normal I think.

As soom as the UPS guy brings the BPV bracket I'll start on this.

Thanks again~ Scary
No, they do not have to be removed. I also run a long Fabtech AAL in my street set up. It will go on top of the overload leaf and under the stock pack. If it's the same one as mine, it just barely fits between the metal band thingys.

Since UPS says it's delivered, I bet they dropped it off this morn' so you oughta have it tonight when you get home.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I might just add to clamp the spring pack together with a C-clamp or two before removing the center pin nut and before putting it back on. The threads on the center pin are not strong enough to handle the spring force and will strip very easy.

You may want to go ahead and check/grease your spring bushings while you have it torn apart that far. There is nothing wrong with taking the whole spring pack off.

Make sure you use some good jack stands and NOT just a highlift.

Here are some pictures I took while doing mine.
http://community.webshots.com/album/191135149WHNAHa
Old 10-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have some AAL install instructions on-line here...

You may find your existing center pin is too short to go back through with the AAL installed, look at it before you tear it apart. If there is not enough exposed thread on the end to pass through the AAL thickness, you might want to get some longer ones before proceeding. Same story on the u-bolts, make sure you have enough thread showing to put things back together after the AALs are in. Hit all the exposed threads with a good penetrating oil for a few days before starting the project as well.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 10-07-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Thank y'all for the links and instructions.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mark_fit
you should of taken it to the spring shop on UTE. dwn town
they hooked up my dads tundra with aal
Is that Alcan spring? They are in Grand Junction somewhere.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Contributing Member

No one has said it yet (at least not that I have seen) and I'm too lazy to click on links...
make sure you have a Dremel type tool with a cutting disk. The longer bolt you'll need to feed through the eyes of the springs will have to eventually be cut.

Also mind your brake line when you drop the driver side. It'll stretch pretty good... I loosened all the braces on the rear axle and dropped it as much as I dared with the stretching I saw.

Write-ups galore all over the place though.
If you check out TTORA's FAQ http://www.ttora.com you'll see some pictures that'll help you. The rear is surprisingly easy once you've figured it out.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Tacoma Dude]

Also mind your brake line when you drop the driver side.

QUOTE]

You bring up a couple of good points here. When I saw how tight my brake line was getting during the AAL process I replaced mine with a longer braided SS line. Also if you're going to pull the whole spring pack off you want to drop both wheels at the same time so there won't be a twist in the spring bushings while you are trying to remove them.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Is that Alcan spring? They are in Grand Junction somewhere.
No, that's not Alcan. Alcan is on the far west side of GJ.

Fit, if I had wanted to pay someone to do it I would have paid someone to do it.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Instead of shooting all these posts here you could have already installed them. If i was in CO i would stop by and help out.

Get to it
lets see a writeup
Hey he is just geting his ducks all lined up. I'm thinking about going up there for about a week when the snow gets good and deep. I'll bring my jack stands and skis and have a great time.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Instead of shooting all these posts here you could have already installed them. If i was in CO i would stop by and help out.

Get to it
lets see a writeup
I'm one part shy still..... C'mon UPS!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Hey he is just geting his ducks all lined up. I'm thinking about going up there for about a week when the snow gets good and deep. I'll bring my jack stands and skis and have a great time.
C'mon SNOW!!!!!!! The resort had 2ft two weeks ago, now it's all melted off....