Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 Tacoma Supercharger is a plesant surprise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Tacoma Supercharger is a nice surprise...

I just wanted to comment on the power of the TRD changer. I have a 98 runner without a charger, and a 5speed 99 extened cab with one. I dont drive the truck much, but decided to drive it to a call-out I had late last night for work. I was stopped at a light behind one of those V8 explorer trucks, and next to him has a nice new Chevy 1500 with at least a dual 3" exhaust. It sounded great...
They just took off when the light changed. It pretty much caught me off guard. I took off just a little after they left, and the truck did a great job tracking down both trucks in a very short amount of time. It really surprised me. They were running hard to. I had it floored, and shifted at near redline though. The chevy walked the explorer by the time we got to 60 MPH.

I changed lanes and was a good 20 feet from the back of the 1500. Im in 5th at around 60. The exhaust was good and throaty. He shifted up and started to leave me, and all I did was roll on the throttle in 5th, and he stopped walking away instantly, and then I started closing the gap quickly. I didn't get stupid and make it a highway drag race, but I totally felt that I could leave him at any time I really wanted to. It would have required some serious speed though.

We basically did the same thing at the next light, then spread out on our own way. There is a big difference between spirited shifting and being an idiot...I don't think I crossed the line too far.

Anyhow, not really a street racing story, but just what I have found surprising about a truck that I am not that familiar with yet.
Wes

Last edited by Wes Whitmore; 09-01-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have anything other than the SC on the Taco? URD or 7th Inj Kit? TCP 1.1 or FMC1?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
Do you have anything other than the SC on the Taco? URD or 7th Inj Kit? TCP 1.1 or FMC1?
Believe it or not, no. I just got it 2 months ago. I was the one who was posting that I needed to get rid of either the truck, or the 4runner, and was thinking of moving the SC to whatever I kept.
Its a while charger. The vehicle was a one owner lease-turn in, so I figure it was on there from day one. The trunk has 92000 miles on it, and the runner now has 123000 miles. With no abs, and shorty air intake tub/filter, there is almost nothing in the engine bay!

No winch, hitch, stereo. Nothing but a over the bed liner and a bug guard. It pulls very hard, and as far as I know, do not detonate on 92 octane. I never hear it anyhow. Stock pulley from what I can tell.

Wes
Old 09-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet. I just picked up a used SC w/ the 7th injector kit. I'm going to install the SC and give it a whirl. If there's no problems, then I'll just sell the 7th inj kit. I don't want to go fast, or burn tires, or race civics. I just want some more torque for pulling hills under load on the highway.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:06 AM

I think you will be happy with it. You very well might need that 7th inj kit, or something even better. I am pretty lucky as I don't seem to need anything YET...
Old 09-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Cool story Wes. That would have been really cool if you would have dropped it into 3rd at 60MPH and toasted that guy.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a responsible "jaunt" against another rig every now and then. When I say responsible, I mean no traffic, no tire burning, just a controlled roll-on "race" if you will. This happens to me a lot at those "two lanes merging into one" deals at stop lights. I always pick the open lane and for some reason a wannabe NASCAR driver is always the other driver, and always wants to race.

When I changed my gearing over to 4.30's, I beat a pissed off dad in a Honda Pilot pretty good. I only did it because he was chasing me for giving him a look for driving while on the phone and almost causing a wreck.

Sorry I rambled. Me want SC'r!