Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 runner died!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
M@B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 runner died!!

Hey guys. I just moved from BC to Alberta two days ago. the temp dropped dramatically last night -31C. So I got into the truck this morning and let it warm up for a few minutes(not too long maybe 3-4 minutes) made it about a mile down the road and it stalled. I flashed it back up and managed to get it off the road before it stalled again.

After this, it seemed to crank over fine but wouldn't fire.
So a frend picked me up and I went to talk to a few shops and tow truck places and what not. but due to the weather the shops are booked till mid next week and good luck getting a tow right now!

So I went back and tried one more time, nothing no power, no nothing. bought a new battery and all the lights and stuff came back on and it cranked over again but, still no fire.

Called my father who is a truck driver, said that I may have had moister in my fuel system(coming from such a moist climate to a bone dry freezing one) and to put some Methel hydrait(SP) in the tank let it sit and try agian.....still nothing!! like I said it cranks fine but no fire....any ideas?

Thanx for any help you may have!
Regards, M@B
Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check all your wires, maybe something came undone. I inadvertently pulled out the crankshaft position sensor wire when I reinstalled my alternator, and the truck cranked and cranked, but it wouldn't turn over until I fixed the wires.

I'm not saying that's your problem exactly, but perhaps it's something along those lines. Checking your connections is always a good first step.

I'd also be thinking, you need the starter working, fuel, air, and a spark to get the engine to turn over, so take a look at those systems and see where the process is being interrupted. Maybe something's frozen up in your fuel lines? I don't have any experience in such frigid climes.

There are other guys on the board, much more experienced than I am, so hopefully they'll chime in soon.

Last edited by pendrag; 11-19-2010 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
M@B (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
M@B

Thanx for the tips. But, I was driving it when it happened and it did restart for a few secounds after it stalled the first time. So I don't think I disconnected anything....hmmmm
I have someone much more machanically inclined taking a look at it tomorrow. So hopfully he'll figure it out. I was hoping that someone here may have had the same problem at some point and had some insite.
thanx for your help, much apprieciated!!

Regards, M@B
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, I would say get it to a warm place, ASAP! Garage, shop, whatever. None of your friends or friend of a friend of a friend has a large truck in which to tow?
Then, go diagnosing, seeing if you have fuel, spark, air. Most likely its going to be fuel. How low was the gas when you were driving? Condensation in the tank could have frozen and gotten into the fuel lines. Try a product called HEET. It's used to keep condensation from forming in the fuel system. Next time, make sure you let it warm up for a bit :thumbsup:
M@B (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Well with such a temp drop it could have busted your freeze plug / cracked your block if you didn't have the proper amount of antifreeze in your system ..i did that in a dodge stratus one year and it wouldn't stay cranked , finally figured out i didn't have enough antifreeze and it froze and busted my engine =( i hope im wrong ... if it froze then all of a sudden you crank it.......pow your up the creek , cause we all know what happens when you pour hot water on a frozen windshield . You may have had "some" antifreeze in your system but unless you checked it with the coolant gauge you couldn't tell just by looking . Buy a floater gauge ( 2 dollars? ) and test the antifreeze . Just a guess tho man i hope it isn't what happened . good luck !
M@B (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 PM
M@B

I changed the coolant about 5 months ago. checked it before I left on tuesday morning. everything was all good. looked at the oil (today) and didn't see or smell any coolant in it.
it is time for an oil change I know that and I was infact going to have that done today. but it's not terrible oil. just time for a change. so I'm hopeing it's just the gas lines frozen up. seems to be what everything is pointing at so far.
my father said it makes sence that the remaining fuel that I had in the system would account for only getting me a mile or so down the road before she crapped out. and then leaving the hazard lights on while I went to get help in minus a billion temp could account for the fried battery.

I only hope it's that simple!!
thanx for your thoughts guys!

regards M@B

Last edited by M@B; 11-19-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 PM
M@B

oh, and the fuel level was about 3/8(ish)when I parked it that night. I know I should have filled her up but after a 28 hour drive...I wasn't thinking!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 AM

If it is fuel related, it should atleast sputter if given a shot of starting fuel or brake cleaner.

To see if its spark, place a spark plug on a ground... ie block. Place the plug on the block and THEN WHILE NOT TOUCHING THE PLUG, have a friend crank the truck. You should see a spark.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just guessing, but maybe the fuel pump died.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree that you need to get it to a warm place, let it thaw out. you probably have a frozen fuel line.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 AM

hold on--in
Texas we have this happen all the time---errhhh where do you live?

Just kidding!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 AM

Get it to a warm place, and pour a bottle (or whatever the directions say) of that heat stuff in there that is supposed to dry out the fuel. run that though the lines, then leep your tank as full as possible, to eliminate moisture build up. Im guess that is what is happening here.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:03 PM

I'd be interested in the outcome of your situation. I also live in Calgary and my 1991 3.0L did almost the exact same thing on Tuesday morning when it was -33C, except it only started for about 2 seconds before it died. It still cranks fine and tries to start but i think something is up with the fuel lines. It's supposed to warm up to -4c tomorrow, so we will see how it goes. Good luck
Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Yup, She started with a little help (ether) and gas line antifreeze. I guess i'll have to keep it inside from now on.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 AM

i dont know how well these batteries will work in the north--But those Platinum Die Hard Batteries have served me well.

First time i drove on the battery after my altenator tensioner came loose--It ran like there wasnt anything wrong

Second time--Left the dome light on all day long after a run to the hardware in the morning--came out the next morning to see the light on and it started like always--....