Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 runner - alarming lower control arm issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
99 runner - alarming lower control arm issues

Hey Guys,
As always........noises ,squeeks and galunks start popping up after a season on the trails so I slid under the rig to take care of some issues.

As I was lugging up the front wheels, I noticed some excess play left to right as i moved the front wheel.
I see the lower control arms moving with up to a 1/4 inch of wiggle on the rear side (Head)of the alignment bolt.

Is this normal?......I'm sure NO!
and what does it take to install new ones
$$$ ??
How complicated is the alignment setup when removing the lower control arm?

Thanks, Kenny S>
Old 12-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Well , it looks like the lowers are pressed in so where the heck do you go these days to press bushings in and out ??

Kenny S<
Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Its easier to just buy used LCA's from a junkyard or online supplier. At least, thats what I'll be doing.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here ya go...

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50070+2070015

I am sure a local machine shop will press in/out the bushings. I will be doing the LCA bushings and lower ball joints over my winter break. I will let you know how it goes.

Sorry if this sounds too blunt, but why would you buy useds LCA's from a junkyard, just to have the same problem after you bolt them on or few thousand miles down the road.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Who says you will have the same issue a few thousand miles down the road?

I would use a used control arm for several reasons.

1. The bushings are $40/each, which makes $80/arm. Low mileage used arms can be had for $50-$75

2. Press work is not free, so unless you have a press at home, you will be paying even more for that.

3. No guarantee the pressed bushings were done correctly. At least with OEM parts you know what you are getting the first time.

4. Down time. With replacement arms, you can drive to the yard (or have the arms shipped) then its a simple few hour swap. To have bushings pressed in and out, you have to remove the arms, take them to the shop, and drop them off for the work to be done. Often, the shop has a day turn around time so your truck is now down for a day. All that, and you HOPE they do it correctly so you don't have to go back and mess around again. Aftermarket parts aren't exactly well known for their fit and finish.

I am sure there are a few others I could mention, but you get the idea.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
you totally just got mauled by the cougar.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 AM

So, what is the latest year those LCA's would cross over from?
I see the used arm idea........that's why my truck now has the wheels back on it.
Too many X factors.
Oh yeah........in another thread ,I mentioned squeeking noises........they are all
coming from the LCA's!

I just found a guy on fleabay that has aftermarket LCA's (looks like bushings are included) for 110.00 each.
anyone ever use these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...Q5fAccessories

Kenny S>

Last edited by sharrack; 12-09-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Who says you will have the same issue a few thousand miles down the road?

I would use a used control arm for several reasons.

1. The bushings are $40/each, which makes $80/arm. Low mileage used arms can be had for $50-$75

2. Press work is not free, so unless you have a press at home, you will be paying even more for that.

3. No guarantee the pressed bushings were done correctly. At least with OEM parts you know what you are getting the first time.

4. Down time. With replacement arms, you can drive to the yard (or have the arms shipped) then its a simple few hour swap. To have bushings pressed in and out, you have to remove the arms, take them to the shop, and drop them off for the work to be done. Often, the shop has a day turn around time so your truck is now down for a day. All that, and you HOPE they do it correctly so you don't have to go back and mess around again. Aftermarket parts aren't exactly well known for their fit and finish.

I am sure there are a few others I could mention, but you get the idea.

With a new set of bushings, you know they are good. If you walk into a junkyard how are you goin to be able to look at a toyota and know which one has the best bushings?? By which one has the shiny paint job??

If your machine shop takes a day to press them in, so what? Now you know your bushings are good for many miles down the road.

I will be doing mine myself, and I got to tell ya I dont see why you think it will be so hard.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Just an FYI, the Salvage Yards in Phoenix are terrible, the yard that Death Cougar works for is outstanding.

I would install used parts from Nix99, but not the places out here in Phoenix with dry rotted bushings. Daystar makes a poly bushing kit, but it is very difficult to install.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The LCA's are a paint the Mother trucker to install and the old ones are a pain in the mother trucker to burn/drill/press out.

But if you are going to give it a go--i would suggest drilling out the OEM bushings versus trying to press them out.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think DC has some valid points. A LCA with good bushings from the junkyard might be the easiest and best alternative for someone who is in a hurry or just doesn't have the knowledge or equipment to install new bushings.

As for me, I would go with new bushings.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Has anyone had any feedback on the aftermarket LCA's ?
I sent the seller a message to ask if they have any installation issues.
http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336118878&bi...sues-198580%2F

there are valid points on both sides and being in AZ..........rubber dry rots
like a mutha out here.
Even your tires..........if kept outside , are doomed before they wear down.
Not sure I'd even look here in AZ.

Stealership prices......... bushings....56.28 each
complete arms with bushings no ball joint.....232.00 each
After market arms with bushings........110.00 each shipped

Last edited by sharrack; 12-09-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:01 AM

i actually just wrecked my truck and had to get a lower dside control arm and i got it used in good condition installed at a local shop for around 250!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sharrack
So, what is the latest year those LCA's would cross over from?
I see the used arm idea........that's why my truck now has the wheels back on it.
Too many X factors.
Oh yeah........in another thread ,I mentioned squeeking noises........they are all
coming from the LCA's!

I just found a guy on fleabay that has aftermarket LCA's (looks like bushings are included) for 110.00 each.
anyone ever use these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...Q5fAccessories

Kenny S>
Control arms cross from 96-02 4Runners. They redesigned the arms in 2003.

Originally Posted by cpizzle42
With a new set of bushings, you know they are good. If you walk into a junkyard how are you goin to be able to look at a toyota and know which one has the best bushings?? By which one has the shiny paint job??

If your machine shop takes a day to press them in, so what? Now you know your bushings are good for many miles down the road.

I will be doing mine myself, and I got to tell ya I dont see why you think it will be so hard.
With a new set of aftermarket bushings you are ASSUMING they are good. Like I stated earlier, made in Taiwan aftermarket parts do not have the best track record. Nor do most aftermarket parts for that matter.

With a wrecking yard, it depends on which yard you go to. At most yards here in WA, the parts are pre-pulled and on the shelf which means inspected beforehand. They know miles, and condition of the part before selling it to you.

Also, some people don't have a day. Most people who live in the city don't have room for more than one vehicle, and/or no matter where they live, just do not own more than one vehicle. One day of down time is a BIG deal.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 AM

I may try the aftermarket LCA's because sourcing them nationwide will be a pain in the ace unless someone knows who's got them.

The fleabay seller has a 30 day moneyback and if done with paypal.....your covered for the full purchase price against fraud.

Kenny S>
Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 AM

hahaha alright cougar you win bud. You go ahead and install mile'd out equipment.

Originally Posted by sharrack
I may try the aftermarket LCA's because sourcing them nationwide will be a pain in the ace unless someone knows who's got them.

The fleabay seller has a 30 day moneyback and if done with paypal.....your covered for the full purchase price against fraud.

Kenny S>
I dont know if I would trust a non oem LCA, just my .02
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 AM

Another option, which would be my choice, is to purchase a new LCA from some place like toyotapartsales.com. It will run you about 174 each side but you will get all new OEM LCa's with bushings and a lower ball joint. Labour to put this in would be even less.
My second option, as mentioned, is to source used LCA's and get new bushings pressed in. I would weigh the cost differences after all factors have been included.
As a side note. Avoid poly bushings in your LCA's. Do some reading on ttora.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Another option, which would be my choice, is to purchase a new LCA from some place like toyotapartsales.com. It will run you about 174 each side but you will get all new OEM LCa's with bushings and a lower ball joint. Labour to put this in would be even less.
My second option, as mentioned, is to source used LCA's and get new bushings pressed in. I would weigh the cost differences after all factors have been included.
As a side note. Avoid poly bushings in your LCA's. Do some reading on ttora.
you mean like the poly bushings that daystar sells, that steve was talking about? I wonder if the bushings that napa sell are also poly?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 AM

Yes, poly, as in polyurethane. The bushings that daystar, prothane, energy suspension etc. etc. sells. Though poly has benefits in many applications, those who have used poly bushings on their LCa's have not had a very positive experience.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Godzilla's idea sounds like the best one IF the bushings are included with the
LCA's.
It specifies including the lower ball joint so I'm questioning the bushings being included.

Otherwise I'll go that way.

Kenny S>

Quick Reply: 99 runner - alarming lower control arm issues