Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 OEM Power Outlets retrofit into 97??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 OEM Power Outlets retrofit into 97??

Hello, I recently purchased a '97 SR5 4Runner. There are a few items offered starting in '99 that I like, but, this low mileage, manual '97 gem was just something I couldn't pass up.

Anyway, I have seen customized front outlet installs, BUT, I always try to maintain OEM look as much as possible and want to know if it will work -- has anyone retrofitted that '99 set-up (it has the 2 lower outlets) into '97?

Ideally, if that console piece lines up I would like to just order the OEM parts and run the wiring...

Thanks!
JamesDINAN (from my BMW days)
Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're talking about swapping out the 96-98 center dash for the 99-02 then it will fit but the wiring is a PITA. Somebody here did it and another member bought the rig. The thread is pretty detailed but if you're not an experienced person with wiring I wouldn't attempt it.

I added two outlets on my 96 4Runner, factory ones from a 2000. I just took the small trim off that runs under the shifter on each side (shifter area to carpet trim) and then cut a hole, glued it in and ran the wires. No issues at all, very easy. I also bought the rear panels from the 2000 that has the bigger cubby area and an additional 12v plug in it.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 AM

terminator: Do you have, or can you upload any pics of that install? I am curious to see how the completed project looks. I am not sure the filesize limitations here so, if it is easier to email elsewhere let me know and I will give you another email to use.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 AM

for the power outlets. might be easier to just buy some from autozone.

this thread might help you
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...s-most-113806/
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's another method.
http://4runners.org/writeups/12v/index.html

Id just buy an extra cig plug, drill a hole and glue it in. Wire it up to an aux fuse block. (I have two aux blocks, one inside, one outside...).

Or just wire up a 12DC to 110AC inverter. You can get some good ones on Amazon.com for $50.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:28 PM

I'll get you some pics. I actually have one of those trim pieces with a factory 12v installed for sale if you want it. $15 + shipping, you just have to wire it up and it comes with the factory harness and some wire attached.

Originally Posted by JamesDINAN
terminator: Do you have, or can you upload any pics of that install? I am curious to see how the completed project looks. I am not sure the filesize limitations here so, if it is easier to email elsewhere let me know and I will give you another email to use.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 PM

terminator: I'm looking forward to seeing those pics, and will let you know about purchasing that trim piece after, unless someone else comes along and takes you up on your offer.

After looking through a couple links from akaphilly, I have a thought: If that 99-02 center dash is indeed a direct replacement for the 96-98, couldn't I just install that and then install another aux fuse block dedicated for those 2 outlets (perhaps in the engine compartment like someone else posted)? Plus then, I'd already have block installed when I install further upgrades down the road (lights, etc.)?

Seems that would cure the PITA wiring, plus maintain OEM look? Seems like it could be "best of both worlds"...looks like a it'd be ~$200 for that center dash new. That may be worth avoiding cutting/gluing, etc.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd just get the additional outlets, drill holes in that worthless cubbie hole below the ashtray on the '96-'98 bezel and install there with an aux fuse panel. i like having the bezel with the cup holders that slide out, when my '99+ center console cup holders get filled with drinks i can slide that out and have room for two more if needed.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 PM

I put the 99+ center bezel in my 96 a few months ago. Wiring isn't to difficult, but the defrost is near impossible without a lot of work.

Just installed 2 outlets in those holes today actually.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by terminator
If you're talking about swapping out the 96-98 center dash for the 99-02 then it will fit but the wiring is a PITA. Somebody here did it and another member bought the rig. The thread is pretty detailed but if you're not an experienced person with wiring I wouldn't attempt it.

I added two outlets on my 96 4Runner, factory ones from a 2000. I just took the small trim off that runs under the shifter on each side (shifter area to carpet trim) and then cut a hole, glued it in and ran the wires. No issues at all, very easy. I also bought the rear panels from the 2000 that has the bigger cubby area and an additional 12v plug in it.
I'd like to see pics of both of these too.

Thanks.

-sc
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 PM

OK, I just realized that I used an aftermarket one on my driver side and a stock Toyota one on my passenger side. Sorry for the delay in pics y'all.
Drivers side with aftermarket 12v plug

Passenger side with stock Toyota 12v plug with cell charger attached, wired to stock cig wiring

Without cell charger plugged in

Looks pretty good IMHO but honestly, I've yet to use the drivers side one unless we're on a trip and need it. Accessories tend to rub your leg.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Terminator: Install looks good! The only thing I question about something like that is, like you said, accessories getting in the way of feet with the outlet(s) coming out the sides. Very clean install though! I have to put my thinking cap on, on how I want to proceed. Thanks again!

Oh yah, I liked what you said about that you bought the rear panels with the larger cargo area/outlet...I just may have to look into that as well!

JamesDINAN
Old 10-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Thanks, I only use the driver side when I have to but it's good to have just in case. I wired that rear 12v and have yet to use it. I did go to 4runners.org and wire in an ANL fuse and a distribution block and run my converter off of it. I have used the converter several times for different things, great mod and you can buy a quick disconnect on ebay for the 8g wires so you don't have to leave the converter hooked up. I just store it in the larger cubby that the 99+ rear panel has and pull it out and charge it when I need to.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 PM

terminator: How many of the rear panels did you have to purchase? The converter sounds like a great mod -- definitely something I would like to do. I'll look for a DIY post.

Earlier today I installed the rubber flare trim using the below post - worked great!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...4runner-75761/
Old 10-12-2009, 04:30 AM

Originally I bought the passenger side only b/c it had the 12v plug and larger cubby. When I was installing it I realized it was the lighter tan color and not the darker tan so I had to go back and get the drivers side too. I had to modify the body behind the cubby b/c the 99+ has a larger cubby. Basically I just cut the metal with tin snips until it fit properly. The metal wasn't structural so it didn't matter and I use the larger cubby to store my converter and other stuff now.

Originally Posted by JamesDINAN
terminator: How many of the rear panels did you have to purchase? The converter sounds like a great mod -- definitely something I would like to do. I'll look for a DIY post.

Earlier today I installed the rubber flare trim using the below post - worked great!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...4runner-75761/
Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by terminator
Originally I bought the passenger side only b/c it had the 12v plug and larger cubby. When I was installing it I realized it was the lighter tan color and not the darker tan so I had to go back and get the drivers side too. I had to modify the body behind the cubby b/c the 99+ has a larger cubby. Basically I just cut the metal with tin snips until it fit properly. The metal wasn't structural so it didn't matter and I use the larger cubby to store my converter and other stuff now.
Thanks for the up front pics. Do you by chance have pics of the rear setup as well?

-sc