Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 Multi Mode troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Multi Mode troubleshooting

First post on Yotatech! I have spent hours researching and troubleshooting an issue with a 99 Limited that I picked up from my folks last week. It had an issue with 4wd where it would get stuck in 4wd and not disengage back to 2wd.

Fast forward to today... I got that fixed at a local Toyota shop that has impressed me so far. My issue however is this:

The 4WD button on the lever does nothing. I understand from reading that this is in fact "AWD" mode with the center diff open. Also from what I understand by pressing this button the system should show on the dash the 4 wheel lights "green" but no yellow center diff. Is this true? Again, my button does nothing at all.

I am suspect of the switch it's self on the knob and continuitiy. Does anyone have any advice on troubleshooting steps going forward? I have use of my 4WD through the level (4HL and 4LL), but would love the ability to use "AWD" too.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 PM

LOL, well hate to answer my own post, but I just got my solution! I went out just now, removed the trim from around the shift knob, removed the screw from the knob, and pulled it all apart. The wire that goes from the 4wd button down to the harness was disconnected for some reason. I plugged it in and ta-da!! Back in business. Now when I hit the 4wd button the 4 green tire lights are lit without the center diff. Perfect!

I am still stumped why it would have been disconnected, but never the less, I am back in business.

Good night all.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by kruegs
LOL, well hate to answer my own post, but I just got my solution! I went out just now, removed the trim from around the shift knob, removed the screw from the knob, and pulled it all apart. The wire that goes from the 4wd button down to the harness was disconnected for some reason. I plugged it in and ta-da!! Back in business. Now when I hit the 4wd button the 4 green tire lights are lit without the center diff. Perfect!

I am still stumped why it would have been disconnected, but never the less, I am back in business.

Good night all.
Great news that you got it fixed! That's the kind of weird thing that nobody would have been able to answer for you, have to tear into in and find the issue. Love the AWD mode on mine too, very handy with the quickly changing road conditions that are part of winter driving in the city.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I am beyond stumped as to why the wires would be disconnected. My folks never used the button for the 9 years they owned the Runner, so I am suspect that it was either disconnected by the original owners, or for some really odd reason was never connected at the factory by Toyota. Either way it makes no sense.

It is supposed to snow in Denver tomorrow and Tuesday, so I am amped up to try things out. So far, I am lovin the 4Runner, no doubt about that!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM

nice to hear you got it fixed . Does your 4runner have a rear diff lock as well as the center diff. If so i believe that makes it quite rare. I think the rear diff was optional for 99 and 00 runners that have the center diff.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 AM

Yes, it does have the RR diff lock as well. After I started to dig into the specifics on the 4Runner I realized that I had to buy it from them.... just too nice to pass up. I have not tried the rear locker yet, but hope to sometime soon!