Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 Limited - Keyless entry is driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 Limited - Keyless entry is driving me crazy

Hi all, I just traded my Z3 for my first 4runner (99 limited), and I've already been able to knock out some needed maintenance by using the excellent write-ups on these forums. I just wanted to say what a fantastic resource this site is and I hope that I can contribute to it in the future as I learn all about my awesome new set of wheels

Having said that, I am still having a problem that I can't seem to fix no matter how many posts and tech articles I look through: Programming this damn keyless entry remote!

I followed the instructions for '99 models that have been re-posted over and over on this site and elsewhere, but the problem is that I never receive the "conformation lock and unlock" from the vehicle after performing the procedure, so I never even get to the step to press anything on the alarm remote.

The alarm does work, as I triggered it accidentally (horn, lights, etc). I have the factory alarm remote (not the dealer installed model) and at this point all that I can think of is that it might be the lock actuators, but i've also tried having a person on each lock, manually locking and unlocking while hitting the switch, so ... i'm at a loss on where to go next.

For reference, i'm following this procedure: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...html#post60925 and Step 5 never happens.

Any ideas??
Old 01-03-2011, 04:21 PM

bump.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM

hey friend

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I even became so frustrated today that I stopped by the local toyota dealer$hip, and they wanted $130 to program my remote!!! Needless to say I'm even more motivated then before to fix it myself

When I figure it out ill be sure to post up
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Just to clarify - you have the 3-button remote, correct? It has Lock, unlock, and the rear window button.

Those instructions are good, I used them to program my new-to-me remotes. However, the cycling of the locks has to be done perfectly. And I'd say go slower than you probably have been. I was trying to rush through the 5 cycles, and it wouldn't work. Try going slower, and see if that helps.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Update: I swung by the dealer and had them check it out and he ran through the sequence at top-speed! With no luck He tested my remote for free and said it was fine, but said that I would have to bring it in for them to check it out. Forget that, i'll just try it again and AGAIN with a slower speed as you recommend - I don't know why this is so complicated ... is this the best method toyota could think of?? lol

Qyota: Yes I have the 3 button remote you described. Same year as well, so assume I must be doing this wrong or else I have some gremlins in my ride...
Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mrexcitebike
Update: I swung by the dealer and had them check it out and he ran through the sequence at top-speed! With no luck He tested my remote for free and said it was fine, but said that I would have to bring it in for them to check it out. Forget that, i'll just try it again and AGAIN with a slower speed as you recommend - I don't know why this is so complicated ... is this the best method toyota could think of?? lol

Qyota: Yes I have the 3 button remote you described. Same year as well, so assume I must be doing this wrong or else I have some gremlins in my ride...
I was about to say I had the same problem when I first got my 00'. Taking it to the dealer solved my problem though, and it was free which was nice.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 AM

I wonder if your door sensor is working. I usually just leave the door open and hit the little door switch cause its easier than actually closing and opening the door. Id also check all the actuators and fuses/relays. Are you 100% sure its actually equipped for keyless entry? I'm a locksmith so I deal with this kinda thing daily, sometimes it can be frustrating.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Where is the door sensor located? I assumed that if the "door open" lamp went off then it was working correctly, but I'll try anything at this point ...

Any idea where the keyless entry/alarm relay is located? It came with a the factory remote and the alarm works, so i'm just assuming it has keyless entry.

All I can think of at this point it to replace the door lock actuators ... ugh which are (not surprisingly) expensive ...

Red3.slow: What did the dealer say the problem was?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Read On, and try, try again

Follow this thread. It took me several tries and a few days of frustration to program a fob that I bought online.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2...ramming-10236/
Old 01-08-2011, 05:58 AM

When it says cycle the locks that means lock and then unlock, your not doing it the other way around are ya?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Nope, lock then unlock. Nothing seems to work. I wonder if this is related: my key on the driver's door does not lock or unlock all of the doors when I try and twist it left or right. It's like it is stuck or something, if I really jiggle it - then sometimes it will work... but i've been manually locking and unlocking with my hand while I hit the switch as well ... arrggg I'm about to throw in the towel and give it to the dealer
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure this will actually help but I might suggest undoing the battery for a few minutes.

Negative cable first then the positive cable for removal, then positive cable then negative for reassembly. This may help the "brain" reset itself for proper programming.

just a thought...
Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM

What's the fcc id on the back of the remote?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The ID number on the back of the remote for my '99 is RSS-210. The battery in it had to be replaced and left me perplexed during my programming process, so there's another hint for you.

Off topic: That battery trick repaired my sunroof when it became stuck open 1 time. Just leave it unhooked for 10 minutes then come back and plug it back up.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mrexcitebike
Nope, lock then unlock. Nothing seems to work. I wonder if this is related: my key on the driver's door does not lock or unlock all of the doors when I try and twist it left or right. It's like it is stuck or something, if I really jiggle it - then sometimes it will work... but i've been manually locking and unlocking with my hand while I hit the switch as well ... arrggg I'm about to throw in the towel and give it to the dealer

The key for my '99 does the exact same thing!

Its a total PITA to lock or unlock the doors with the keys, I have to jiggle it just right to engage.

I wonder if this has any relation to the difficulty we are having programming our remotes?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Add another to the list of people who can't enter programming mode.

I see this thread is a year old - anyone on it get this fixed?

Recently my 99 4Runner FOB, the only 1 of 2 working, stopped working for the unlock only. Locks just fine, rolls back window down just fine.

I went and dug up my other FOB that I don't remember why I don't use it, and that has the same problem - all but unlock works.

Tried the sequences multiple times - can't enter the programming mode.

I actually tried the one where you turn the key twice to ON which is SUPPOSED to erase your current codes in the FOB - and the FOBS still work as before - no unlock, but other buttons still work.

Yes, door sensor is working - because dash tells me when it's open and the car is running (or open when key is in - ding ding).