99' Herculining Fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' Herculining Fun

When i brought her home, 01/08
Completely stock 99', shined like a pretty penny. 134k

Now 03/31/08
265/65R16's baja tires,Pulled the running boards, herculined rocker pannels and inside the door jams, herculined both bumpers, also cut the front bumper a little. i removed the intake silencer and cut 3/4 inch holes in the intake box, also removed the intake hose that runs down the fender.

i will be blacking out my front grill tonight. ill add more pic's.
Thanks for looking!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 PM

Good work man, not too overboard and good look. I did my rocker panels and it really protects well.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man... I was reading the can of Herculiner just two days ago. I was going to start with my front bumper. It states to "brush on". But in the past I used a roller to put Dupli-Color Liner on a top of a Blazer. Did you use a brush, if so what kind? Is it like paint, and the nicer the brush the nicer the finish? Also, at what point do you remove the tape around the edges, soon after the second coat?

I was going to start on mine in a week or so.....
Any info would be great!

Thanks!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM

The 29.99 can from autozone or checkers of herculiner, i think its a pint, goes quite a ways. i still have some left after doing all ive done. i used a little 2 inch roller from walmart, comes with 2 rollers, a little plastic tray, only like 2.99. worth it. you only really need 1 roller if conserve (when your done with 1st coat, put it all in a plastic bag and tie it, so vapors done escape. the dupli color liner doesnt compare, this stuff is a little thicker. but i must say when you get it and open it up you need to stir it up really really good, like your making scrambled eggs. you will feel the globs of whatever it is start to mix in with the rest. once its all mixed up pour some in the tray and have at. i never tried using a brush, you could probably try it, its so thick it should be okay to. you will want to roll on 1 coat and let it sit for an hour or two, and then put another on. the can says it takes 2 to 6 hours to dry, with 1 coat it does, with 2 it takes close to 12 to 24 hours depending on temperature.. i pulled the tape off 2-3 hours after the 2nd coat. it will still be a little tacky, which is fine. pull it off just like ya would if you were painting anything else. the bumpers took quite a few more coats to cover up the chrome. using a brush could of possibly only taken 1 coat, you can put more on at one time than a roller can. you dont need tape if your are doing your bumper, the top and bottom pieces come off, same with the back bumper, and alls thats left is the chrome peices. you have to remove the whole bumper to do so. only 6 bolts, then i would say just like anything else that ya wd-40 the bolts that hold the top and bottom pieces of the front bumper together. you will break them off without any sort of lube.. i did mine spur of the moment, broke 4 bolts off, not a big deal because they werent important ones. get the picture though, lube= no problems.

It may dry faster sitting in the sun, things tend to... this stuff is very sticky and will get on everything if your not careful. wear some type of gloves, if ya get it on you, its no big deal, acetone or rubbing alcohol will take it off.. may stain your clothes.
its almost like working with tar and paint mixed together, durability of tar, and easy to put on like paint.

Last edited by 4RKidd; 03-31-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

Did you prep the chrome at all?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lookin good, looks alot better with less chrome and no running boards. my first mod was removing the running boards.

Last edited by crolison; 04-01-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. That's a longer dry time then I thought it would be. I may have to wait till it warms up a bit more up here. Should be 45* today (highest so far this year) so I would like to paint my trim pieces around my wheel wells today. But not warm enough for the Herculiner.. I may change up and take my hitch mount off and do that instead before my bumper. That would be a good testing ground to see how long it takes to dry in <50* weather.

Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 AM

I'll also be doing this to my front and rear bumpers. I'm thinking of the bed, too. It would be much cheaper than paying a dealer to do it for ~$400.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Before:

After:

Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 AM

Looks very nice and wondering what your opinions would be regarding using this stuff on home made fender flares?

My thinking is it would add some stiffness and durability to essentially plastic materials.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
Before:

After:

your headlight looks like it is going to fall out. lol
Old 04-01-2008, 03:14 PM

I sanded the bumpers down with 60 grit sandpaper, enough to scratch the hell out of them and remove the clear coat, just as long as its scrapped up pretty good herculiner will stick to it.

I know it does, but it isnt, its all mounted up, the gentleman that owned it before me had a fender bender im guessing and didnt get it fixed right, it looked worse before it got to it, no frame damage or anything else. ive had to give it some TLC. needs a little more toying with i think to align.

as for putting this stuff on home made fender flares, i would do it.. it would make them heeps stiffer, as well as very durable..

Temperature wise i think your okay at anywhere above 40*.. it will dry in lower temps. just not as fast. im thinking if you put it on when you get off work, then let it sit all night till when you wake up it will be good to go, just a little rubbery. not fully fully dried.. enough though that you can touch and push on with no problems. another option is just pull them off and drive without bumpers, i did it for 3 days.. mostly due to my back bumper having rust holes i was fixing. and i fully disassembled both bumpers, so it was just the pieces that needed to be rolled.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Heres a few with my grill painted black.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

nicely done.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

I agree. Great Job! I'll be buying a can or two of that as well pretty soon. I can't wait!!! Question though...

On your rocker panels... You only went up about two inches. I was thinking of going up to the bottom of the "lip" on the door about 8 inches up if\when I do mine. Any reason why you didn't go up that high? Did you see something on your truck that I missed to stop you from going up there, or you just didn't want to do it?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 PM

well going that high makes the 4 runner look like a 2 tone idea. i kept it low because i didnt want it to look funny or make it stand out. it was for the purpose of not scratchin or chipping the rock boards. the deciding how high basically came down to which body line to go down, the one 8 inches was too high, the next best one was the one about 3 inches. you can barely notice on the black paint that its there, the angle is perfect.. i did the inside of my door jams too.. you have to take the plastic off and harness them back, mostly the seatbelt plastic was the pain.. everything else comes off easy.. worth it i think, without running boards its what you always step on. another thing to think is that if your gonna wheel, your gonna need rock sliders anyways, you will never have a rock or anything touch 6 inches up the door..

Last edited by 4RKidd; 04-01-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 AM

thanks very much for answering my question-nice to hear from someone that has recently worked with Herculiner. Nice work on the grill also.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 AM

very nice
Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RKidd
well going that high makes the 4 runner look like a 2 tone idea. i kept it low because i didnt want it to look funny or make it stand out.
mmmmm good point. I'll have to sit back and look at my Runner when I get to that point. I also don't want the Two-Tone look, but on the other hand I can sure tell my new tires throw more dirt up on the body. If I can save the body from rock chips I may have to go up to the 8 inch line. Maybe that check we're suppose to get from the government will go for some bushwacker flares....
Old 04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

I got my front bumper done this weekend. Snow came in the last two days so I ended up doing it inside (not a good thing, but I nad no choice). Couple of pics...

I'll take it off again and do the inside of it just to protect it. But with the snow and the colder weather that rolled in I wasn't going to do it this weekend. I'm going to work on my rear bumper next and then work on little parts (like inside the doors, the strip along the running boards that I painted black, rocker panels...)

I also ended up busting several bolts so if anyone is to do this, I would get some 1/4" bolts with some fender washers to replace the ones that hold the plastic parts onto the metal bumper. Also, use some latex type gloves. Though I tried very hard not to get any on me, it still happened and it's not fun getting off.

Quick Reply: 99' Herculining Fun