Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99+ Fog Lights are junk.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99+ Fog Lights are junk.

First Off I just bought/installed these brand new fog lights in october.

Two Days ago right side light went out.

Bought two brand new Hella H3 bulbs to go in both sides. Went to install and found both to be terribly corroded and wet inside. cleaned both a little and installed the lights. Today get home and right one is out AGAIN! Remove bulb to find that it is completely fine, I even hook it up to the other side to make sure, it works. I clean the other side and go to hook it back up and i try to hook up one of the connectors and it just snaps off...i barely applied any pressure. That should not of broken off and these brand new lights, which were installed correctly by the dealer should not of gone out or been corroded like they were. Just an fyi for anyone who is looking at buying a set of OEM fog lights.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow... my OEM 2000 fog lights work great, I changed the bulbs to 100w ones 6 mo ago. I put some anti-seize on the screws and have had no trouble yet, knock on wood.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM

Mine didnt work when I bought the 02. Got under for a look and found a big corrosion hole in one. Never have replaced them. Too expensive.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 AM

Ian,

My 2000 fog lamps work no problem, I am just disappointed about how it only lights up three feet in front of the runner. Did you just replace the bulb with 100W, on a STOCK wiring harness? If so, how are your fog light wiring holdin up? I have heard horror stories about people repalcing just the bulbs and melting their stock wiring harnesses.

austin
Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

3G Hella Micro DE's

Welcome to the club...

Like many, the OEM fog lights on my '01 have failed numerous times over the last 7 years because the body/components have severely rotted/corroded from road sludge. Each time I've been able to repair 'em, but this last time I decided its time to see if I could find replacements.

The 3G's OEM fog light bodies are actually Hella Micro DE (55W H3's). I ran into a pretty good deal on a set of these at Amazon with free shipping. The kit includes 2 lamps and everything you need to install these from scratch.

They arrived yesterday and I compared the lamp body numbers/markings to my OEMs. Sure enough, they're indentical. So, if you already have 3G OEM fog light brackets, and want/need to replace your fogs, these are a direct replacement.

Call me cheap, but I not willing to drop $400-$700 bones on Xenon's...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2000t4rAKS
Ian,

My 2000 fog lamps work no problem, I am just disappointed about how it only lights up three feet in front of the runner. Did you just replace the bulb with 100W, on a STOCK wiring harness? If so, how are your fog light wiring holdin up? I have heard horror stories about people repalcing just the bulbs and melting their stock wiring harnesses.

austin
I run 100w bulbs for the last several years with stock harness and no probs.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by hillbilly
Welcome to the club...

Like many, the OEM fog lights on my '01 have failed numerous times over the last 7 years because the body/components have severely rotted/corroded from road sludge. Each time I've been able to repair 'em, but this last time I decided its time to see if I could find replacements.

The 3G's OEM fog light bodies are actually Hella Micro DE (55W H3's). I ran into a pretty good deal on a set of these at Amazon with free shipping. The kit includes 2 lamps and everything you need to install these from scratch.

They arrived yesterday and I compared the lamp body numbers/markings to my OEMs. Sure enough, they're indentical. So, if you already have 3G OEM fog light brackets, and want/need to replace your fogs, these are a direct replacement.

Call me cheap, but I not willing to drop $400-$700 bones on Xenon's...
Are the ones your just received the same length (from the lens to the rear) as OEM? I thought these were longer...
Old 01-25-2008, 08:08 AM

Nice find Hillbilly! I'd also suggest protecting the lens with some thick protectant like lamin-x or the likes. One of my fogs has a cracked lens from road debris.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 AM

pfdaxe,
thanks for the confirmation...I guess I can replace my H3 55W with 100W bulbs. Just out of curiosity though, did you just go with Hellas 100W bulbs and do they have it in more of a yellow tint? Hopefully, the 100W bulbs will project the light more forward. I am also wondering if there is anyway to aim our fog lights??? Thanks again fellas.

hillbilly,
I don't plan on dropping a couple hundred on Xenon's especailly if what I need is that yellow tint for bad driving conditions. Anyway, what do you think of the ones that you just bought, have you already installed them? If so, how is the light output, is the cutoff further down the road??? Thanks.

-austin
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 AM

pfdaxe,
thanks for the confirmation...I guess I can replace my H3 55W with 100W bulbs. Just out of curiosity though, did you just go with Hellas 100W bulbs and do they have it in more of a yellow tint? Hopefully, the 100W bulbs will project the light more forward. I am also wondering if there is anyway to aim our fog lights??? Thanks again fellas.

hillbilly,
I don't plan on dropping a couple hundred on Xenon's especailly if what I need is that yellow tint for bad driving conditions. Anyway, what do you think of the ones that you just bought, have you already installed them? If so, how is the light output, is the cutoff further down the road??? Thanks.

-austin
Halogens will for the most part always have a yellowish tint. There is an aiming screw on the side of the housings for the fogs. Check out my thread for me chatter about the Hella lights:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...models-135563/
Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Yea, I did check out the ther thread. If I really wanted the yellow/amber tint...I could always go with YellowStars.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Are the ones your just received the same length (from the lens to the rear) as OEM? I thought these were longer...
hillbilly,

-austin
As I mentioned earlier, the I Hella Micro DE's I bought/received from Amazon are EXACTLY the same as the OEM. Right down to the numbers on the lamp bodies. I haven't installed them yet (sanded/painted the brackets), but considering they're identical, I doubt I'll have any issues.

Last edited by hillbilly; 01-25-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM

As I mentioned earlier, the I Hella Micro DE's I bought/received from Amazon are EXACTLY the same as the OEM. Right down to the numbers on the lamp bodies. I haven't installed them yet (sanded/painted the brackets), but considering they're identical, I doubt I'll have any issues.
Ok thanks. I'll buy the more $$$ ones because you can't fit an HID bulb into the OEM fogs. The ones they sell for a few $$$ more must be longer...
Old 01-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Anybody have these?? Will they be an exact replacement or will I have to modify the brackets in any way?

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Micro-Ha...1180566&sr=8-1
Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Anybody have these?? Will they be an exact replacement or will I have to modify the brackets in any way?

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Micro-Ha...1180566&sr=8-1
Those appear to be the same as the $94 I mentioned above (and they come with free shipping). Why pay more?

Last edited by hillbilly; 01-25-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 PM

Anyone try these? How can you go wrong for $50?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...4677QQtcZphoto
Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

uuumm, I looked at the Hella Micro DE and they're different from the OEM fogs. For one thing, the OEM adjustment screw is spring loaded. The Hella Micro DE bracket is "somewhat" similar to the one Jason B. is selling.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:32 PM

Those appear to be the same as the $94 I mentioned above (and they come with free shipping). Why pay more?
The ones I posted have a more clearer lens, and I believe they are newer.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 AM

HB:

Can you post a pic of the Hellas you received from the side? I'd like to see the length of them
Old 01-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Where were those Hella fogs made? ones made in the states aren't that great. if they came from Germany or Mexico they often last longer and are less likely to corrode. i know from personal experiance.

Quick Reply: 99+ Fog Lights are junk.