Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 4runner New Front Shocks - Difficulty Installing

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4runner New Front Shocks - Difficulty Installing

Hi All,

I'm attempting to change out the entire coil strut assemblies in the front. I just ordered a cheap set of Detroit Axle assemblies off Amazon. One is labeled left and the other right. Both look the same, but I'm working on the driver side assembly and am assuming the one labeled "left" is correct.

I am having problems getting the assembly to fit (I also tried the one labeled as "right"). This is my first rodeo with regards to front suspension work of any sort. I am having problems with the strut fitting into the bracket that allow the bottom bolt to slide through. I've tried finger-tightening the top three nuts, I've tried wrenching them snug, but I can't seem to get the strut to slide in. The "bump" on the inner ring of the strut just won't slide past the bracket. I've also tried tightening one of the top three nuts that would pull the strut in the direction to allow the inner ring's "bump" to slide by. I'm using a 2x4 to leaver down the control arm/rotor to try and get this to fit.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 99 4runner New Front Shocks - Difficulty Installing-4runner_shock.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm not completely familiar with your set-up, but is there a swaybar that could be loosened, or disconnected to give more movement???
Old 12-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Yes there is. I will try that and update. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestion millball; removing the sway link gave some additional play and a little encouragement from a BFH helped get it set into the bracket. Happy new year fella.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Happy New Year to you and yours too!!

Happy to have helped.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:41 PM

I actually had to replace the sway bar links and it's handling much better. In case it helps in future searches, the reason to replace the front suspension was a result of sliding out when I hit some washboards on unpaved roads. This was particularly pronounced when riding over the washboards with a bend in the road while towing a trailer with an ATV. Sketchy for sure. A quick test drive indicates the problem is remedied, but will update the post if I find that this failed to correct the problem.

As an aside I replaced the rear shocks a year ago, but didn't replace the rear springs. After this front assembly replacement, it sits a bit high in the front so plan to replace the springs in the back in hopes to level out the ride.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:54 AM
cwm

I just installed the Detroit Axle strut assembly on new years as well. Seem to be decent craftsmanship. I also installed a lift spacr on top of mine, though, so hopefully the "low price" doesnt come back to bite us soon as it will be a total pain to swap out now.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Your suppose to loosen the upper inner control arm static bolt which gives you all the room/play you will need and more, you then tighten the static bolt to its new ride height after you lower the vehicle into the ground, not always necessary unless you are changing the ride height or can't fit you new shock assembly in because its slightly larger..
Old 01-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Ah, thanks for the advice. Will keep it in mind next time for sure.