Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 4runner -crankshaft pulley bolt - Reuse it? - Loctite it?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4runner -crankshaft pulley bolt - Reuse it? - Loctite it?

I am in the process of replacing my timing belt and have the old belt off and the new on and things are read to be re-assembled. However there are two things relating to the crankshaft pulley bolt that I am unsure of and have not been able to find a clear answer searching the forums.

1. Should I replace the crankshaft pulley bolt? The factory service manual indicates that it is a non-reusable part. But when I asked at the dealer I was told that it was not in stock but could be gotten as a special order. The parts guy was non-committal when I asked if the bolt should be replaced. Seems to me that they would be in stock if the service dept. was replacing them for each timing belt job.

2. Should I use thread locker (Loctite) on the crankshaft pulley bolt? I had to use a 48" breaker bar to remove the bolt at disassembly. Even the blue thread locker would make this task a little harder, OTH I have read the stories of crankshaft pulleys coming loose and wobbling around, not a pretty thought either. I do have the tools ready to torque the bolt to 217 ft-lbs.

I am leaning towards waiting for the new bolt and using a blue (medium strength) thread locker. Any insight or opinions greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would torque it back on and I wouldn't use any loctite. None of mine have come loose after putting them back on.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:55 PM

i agree-no loctite-make sure the key-way is aligned properly & torque it to spec
Old 12-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shoveler
I am in the process of replacing my timing belt and have the old belt off and the new on and things are read to be re-assembled. However there are two things relating to the crankshaft pulley bolt that I am unsure of and have not been able to find a clear answer searching the forums.

1. Should I replace the crankshaft pulley bolt? The factory service manual indicates that it is a non-reusable part. But when I asked at the dealer I was told that it was not in stock but could be gotten as a special order. The parts guy was non-committal when I asked if the bolt should be replaced. Seems to me that they would be in stock if the service dept. was replacing them for each timing belt job.

2. Should I use thread locker (Loctite) on the crankshaft pulley bolt? I had to use a 48" breaker bar to remove the bolt at disassembly. Even the blue thread locker would make this task a little harder, OTH I have read the stories of crankshaft pulleys coming loose and wobbling around, not a pretty thought either. I do have the tools ready to torque the bolt to 217 ft-lbs.

I am leaning towards waiting for the new bolt and using a blue (medium strength) thread locker. Any insight or opinions greatly appreciated, thanks.
1) No the dealers do not replace the bolt when they do a timing belt so you make the call on whether or not you feel you need to replace it. When I do them I don't replace it either.

2) I wouldn't use loctite, but you can (may make it tough to get off the next time you go to do it though, the bolt is tough to remove as is.....the dealer doesn't use threadlocker either). The torque is more than sufficient for holding the assembly in place, but it is absolutely critical to get at least 217 ft-lbs on there when you do it (it is ok to go slightly over, but never under-torque something critical like this).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-30-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:42 PM

Reuse the bolt and dab one or two of medium strength loctite. I also use loctite on flywheel/flex-plate.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM

I'm going to post this just for the record and posterity

If the FSM calls for a new bolt, get a new bolt. Hopefuly your did.
Blue threadlocker on the new bolt is just extra insurance.

The dealer does not have to worry about your vehicle after the warranty of the repair runs out.

So when your re-used bolt comes off 29K miles later, good luck getting the dealer to do anything that has to do with a repair that happened 29 K miles ago !

I got a new bolt for mine - Dealer had in in stock. Went in a lot more snug than the old one. I did use medium threadlocker.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reuse the bolt--couple drops of Locktite.

I red loctited mine so when it comes time to get it off--i am using the BIG A$$ impact. but mine came off before because it wasnt torquedd--i am therfore jaded
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM

No more than the bolts cost, replace it. The new one comes pre-treated with green thread lock compound. No need to add more.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM

FWIW, I finished my timing belt replacement in December of 2006 and based on the replies to my original post I re-used the bolt with no thread locking compound. Two and a half years and 20K miles later I have had no problems. I still second guess this decision and if I ever take off the crank shaft pulley again I will get a new bolt.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe it is just the fact that they apply thier green bolt locker on thier.....but for all intents and purposes the bolt it good--just add loctite
Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
so... i just finish spending $150-200 on new parts for a timing belt change and can't spring for the $6 bolt? there's something wrong here...

(i sprung, and i now rest easy)
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 PM

The 20 year master tech that did my timing belt didn't suggest I use a new bolt, reuses 99% of the bolts at work.

He's done literally hundreds of them buy cranking em' down to like 175ish and has never had one come back loose/destroyed.

I did give him a new bolt though.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member

You do not need to get a new bolt, but be aware that they do have a new revision of the same bolt which you might not already one.

The "old" style is bronze with a loose washer and the "new" one is silver with a "built-in" washer. The newer revision is also a more precisly balanced bolt than the old one.

The reason they did a revision on those bolts is because the 3.4L has had crankshaft pulley 'wobble' issues which led to all kinds of engine troubles. To remedy the problem, Toyota created the new bolt and increased the torque specification to 200 ft/lbs+ whereas the old spec was less than that.

Now off the record:

When I rebuilt my top-end the engine was 10 years old and a dealer serviced the timing belt once before, reusing the same bolt without locktite and it never had a problem. But you know Toyota...make things better to achieve customer satisfaction .