Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 4Runner Auto Passenger Window issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4Runner Auto Passenger Window issues?

Hi All,
I'm having an issue with my Driver side rear passenger window.
What is happening is that I can roll down the window but when i go to raise the window it starts then stops and will not go up. I have to turn off the truck and then lift it up using my hand while holding the switch up. Even then it takes a few times of turning off and on for it to go all the way up. I have had to stop using the window with the fear it will not go up anymore. I've done a search but I can't find any resolution to my issue.

I have tried cleaning out the switches under the arm rest but no change which someone suggested on a similar issue with no real resolution.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
Old 06-09-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the same problem exists at that door and from the driver's master switch then switches are probably not your issue. Is the lining of the track the window slides in good shape? If no problem there, you probably need to open up the door and take a look. Some piece of the linkage may be loose or obstructed. Possibly you will need to replace the regulator.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys,
Just wondering, Is there a way to test the window regulator and get a definite result to know that is what is going bad?

And also to clarify, the regulator is the motor not the mechanism that raises and lowers the window? correct...

Thanks...

Last edited by ramo5150; 06-13-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ramo5150
Thanks for the reply guys,
Just wondering, Is there a way to test the window regulator and get a definite result to know that is what is going bad?

And also to clarify, the regulator is the motor not the mechanism that raises and lowers the window? correct...

Thanks...
Nope. Regulator is the mechanism. Looks like this:

Basically, any point where two separate parts come together can fail. It could be something you can fake with a fastener, or something you can fix only with a new piece (more likely). As I said, you need to get in there in and look with the old Mark I eyeball--the old-fashioned approach.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDurk
If the same problem exists at that door and from the driver's master switch then switches are probably not your issue. Is the lining of the track the window slides in good shape? If no problem there, you probably need to open up the door and take a look. Some piece of the linkage may be loose or obstructed. Possibly you will need to replace the regulator.
I agree with the checking of the tracks. Mine did the same thing and it turns out the lower track that the window lowers into was pinched tighter than the top, causing the window to bind on the way down. Took about half an hour to fix.