See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

99 4Runner ABS issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 4Runner ABS issues?

Several months ago I had my ball joints replaced and ever since I have been having this strange issue with my brakes. Essentially, what is happening is every once in a while when coming to a stop the truck feels like it is engaging its ABS. This happens mostly on dry surfaces and I am not braking hard. The rotors and pads are in great condition, and I just had the fluid changed to no avail. It feels just like ABS but I am not throwing a code. I have searched but cannot find a thread with a similar situation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
GCToyBox (06-19-2023)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it sound like theres a small motor electric running and then a clunk when the noise stops?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM

ABS on the 3rd gen 4runner is one of Toyota's downfalls. The ABS system they put in is junk, and most people seem to have problems with it and it outweighs its usefulness. An easy way to tell if your ABS is engaging is vibrations on the brake pedal and a noise like sand or gravel in your brakes. Many people disable their ABS by pulling the fuse under the hood.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
ABS on the 3rd gen 4runner is one of Toyota's downfalls. The ABS system they put in is junk, and most people seem to have problems with it and it outweighs its usefulness. An easy way to tell if your ABS is engaging is vibrations on the brake pedal and a noise like sand or gravel in your brakes. Many people disable their ABS by pulling the fuse under the hood.
what about VSC, how can that be disabled? both of mine are irritating me, both engaging constantly
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by imryannn
what about VSC, how can that be disabled? both of mine are irritating me, both engaging constantly
Not 100% sure since my 4runner isn't equipped with VSC, but on yours there should be a sensor connector on the brake master cylinder reservoir under the hood, and unplugging that should disable your VSC.

Also search the Andy mod, this has to do with disabling your VSC/TRAC/ABS with the flip of a switch.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM

yeah i thought about it but im SASing my runner so arent i going to lose the ABS anyways? will i lose the VSC along with the ABS after my SAS?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 PM

Is it lifted, and did you do it yourself?
- I had this same problem after I lifted my 99 4runner
- It occurred when I would break and the wheel was slightly turned to the right
- I could not figure it out either without disabling ABS, so I took it to my mechanic
- ABS activation was actually do to a faulty speed sensor if I remember right
- Replaced wheel speed sensor
- Problem fixxed
-Fairly cheap fix as well
2nd fix
- Pull fuse as stockwell mentioned above
- Problem solved and its free
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 PM

yeah i thought about it but im SASing my runner so arent i going to lose the ABS anyways? will i lose the VSC along with the ABS after my SAS?
Well you'll be losing it from the front that's for sure. If I were you I would just pull the fuse and the VSC connector and call it a day.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Well you'll be losing it from the front that's for sure. If I were you I would just pull the fuse and the VSC connector and call it a day.
Where are those both located? Are they both fuses in the box under the hood? Which ones? A diagram would be great if someone can find one

Thanks for help guys
Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 AM

My 00 4Runner does this occasionally. But I have replaced 3 of the wheel bearings and it never did it before so I suspect a wheel sensor. I actually put a switch inline with the ABS fuse on my 05 Tacoma. On that it's so intrusive in the snow that it's downright dangerous to drive. I've rolled right into the street and into intersections numerous times. Now I just flip the switch when it's slippery out and I can stop just fine. Funny the ABS system in my old 1989 BMW actually helps stop the car in slippery conditions and on my Toyota trucks it makes it worse.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Yes, it does feel exactly like the ABS is engaging (peddle feel and sound). I was thinking speed sensor myself, but from reading on the forum many people said that was an expensive fix. If the ABS was disabled, is it going to throw a light on the dash? I would preferably like not to have a light on all the time. I live in a part of the country that does not get snow a lot, so it is not a big deal disabling it just do not want that light.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 AM

I have also read about people removing the speed sensor and cleaning it. What is involved with doing that? The only thing that worries me about that route, is that I currently do not have a dash light but if I mess with it one might appear.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
The sensors are magnetic, and sense the teeth on the sensor ring going by. But that means they will also attract little metal and rust particles. Eventually building up a nice little Wooly Willy* covering that will cloud the sensor ability to see other metal objects going by. Just happens that a brake rotor makes a good source of rust and metal bits, and it's *right* there.

Cleaning the sensor isn't a precise task - you just need to remove it to get tot he magnetic tip, and then take off all the magnetically attached stuff. No cleaning supplies needed, don't have to get it all shiny, just take off the mass of stuff.

And I could see a careless mechanic damaging the sensor by yanking, pinching, damaging the wires leading to it somehow.

* - You know the bald guy you add hair to by dragging metal powder over himi with a magnet:
Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 AM

I was thinking about the whole careless mechanic situation. What would you go about using to clean the "woolies" off the sensor? Possibly a Q-tip.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Bare fingers, shop rag, something like that. They're just lightly stuck there by the magnetic tip of the sensor.

If the wiring is damaged, that won't help, obviously.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Where are those both located? Are they both fuses in the box under the hood? Which ones? A diagram would be great if someone can find one

Thanks for help guys
Location for fuses to disable ABS and VSC?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Location for fuses to disable ABS and VSC?
I don't think there is a fuse for VSC, you just have to pull the connector by the brake master cylinder.

ABS fuse is under the hood in the main fuse box. Just remove it and your good to go.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM

Thank you
Old 03-13-2012, 04:42 PM

So when the ABS fuse is pulled does that give you a warning light in the dash?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 PM

I had the same problem and just fixed it. the driver side ABS wheel sensor was loose. I took it off and cleaned it out. Works great now. Not sure if you tried to clean them but its an easy cheap attempt to fix it. I can send pics if you need

Quick Reply: 99 4Runner ABS issues?