Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99-02 console in a 98? any ideas?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99-02 console in a 98? any ideas?

I would like to swap the center console of my 98 4runner to one from a 99-02 with the cup holders on the ground. it seems as though the E-brake is farther toward the passenger seat in the 99-02 and more centered in my 98.

does anyone know if I am going to have to cut up my floor to make this swap or is it as simple as taking the E-brake from a 99-02 and bolting it into the same place as the current one?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
http://www.4runners.org/writeups/cupholder/index.html

That should answer any questions you have.

Some people have reported not having to cut their console as he did, i think it just differs based on exactly what year and brackets you use.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM

thank you. this helps a lot.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 AM

Get the console, rear bracket, e-brake handle & e-brake mounting cup from the same donor vehicle. Get a console that matches whether or not you have rear heat. I had to use a grinder to widen the passenger side of the e-brake mounting hole about 1/8" - 3/16". You may or may not need to do this. Otherwise this is an easy bolt in installation. You should not need to trim the console at all. This is the best modification you will do.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/y...er-mod-156185/

Paul
Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
To help you in your upgrade of your flight 1 3rd Gen may I offer you this write up I did a few years back based on some of the other center console/cup holder mods I had searched out on this forum. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...6-98-a-132832/

Now there are some that have been able to install this mod without modification of the center console. But they also had to modify the attachment of the center console to the bracket that holds the console in place. If you read through my write up, look at what I did you can then make an informed decision on how best to proceed.

I would recommend that you locate a 2nd flight Gen 3(99-02), obtain the console, e-brake & console mounting bracket. The e-brake and bracket is a direct bolt on. You may encounter a bit of contact between the e-brake and the bowl that the old e-brake was located over. It should be very minor. I had very minor contact but was only at the point the cable guard tab would rub when the brake handle was released but I just tapped the tab in closer, a dab of grease and it was fine, but if you have too much rubbing just use a ball peen hammer and "reshape" the edge of the bowl in the flooring of the center console mounting location that is in contact with the e-brake cable track, you should not have to cut or grind. You do not need to replace it with the one from the donor truck. Trying to get that e-brake cable out so you can replace the bowl was just too hard to deal with for me anyway.

I have the rear heat option in my truck so I needed the rear heat option center console. Some have claimed that they did not need to trim the console for the install but I would like to see how they did it without having to drill new holes in the bottom of the console storage compartment which is where the console is physically attached to the floor. If you don't trim the console as I did, you do have the potential of not being able to mount the new center console correctly. Even with the donor bracket, you will probably have to use longer bolts and drill holes in the bottom of the center console storage bin. Toyota moulded this bin so it attaches to the bracket securely, providing for a solid, safe attachment point. It is not that difficult to do the trim before you install the center console but if this is a concern I would do the prep work getting the center ready for the new console, e-brake and bracket install and then test fit to see if you need to trim the bottom or not. Remember, you are trying to make this look OEM. There are always different ways to do a mod, but evaluate what works best for you.

You will need to relocate your old center console switches to new locations. In my mod, I located them in the center console area of the shifter. Some have been able to use the available mounting hole in the dash near the steering wheel but if you have plans for those switch locations as I did then you need to rethink where those switches are going to go. Rear window, security sensor/led if equipted, and ECT button if equipted. Like I said, evaluate your own situtation and capabilities, but the bottom line here is to do what works best for you. You could find a better way to do it! Besure to post results and some pics along with a write up if you do it differently Good luck!

Another great mod to the center console is adding LED lighting to the cup holders them selves. I found that doing this mod along with the console install is a time saver as well as making your cup holders easy to find in the dark! Check for my write up in the tech section and have fun! Happy to answer any questions.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you got blue interior I have one for sale from a 99+

console, ebrake, bracket and most hardware.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:18 AM

Looks like everything for a plug and play swap to me. I did it with the same parts and only had to trim the bottom of the console, some support plastic I think but nothing else. Everything bolted up perfect and you'd never know it didn't come like that. Best and easies mod I think and my first one.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 PM

well thank you for everyones help and info. I was able to find a console and e-brake out of a 02 at a salvage yard for 25 bucks so I got it and put it in today. the bucket for the e-brake wouldnt line up right and i didnt want to have to trim the floor so i reused the original bucket. the little tab for the e-brake cord was scrapping and when i went to trim it it broke off so i dont have to worry about it scrapping anymore. but all in all everything lined up great and i didnt have to trim anything. the only problem is that the console is grey and my interior is oak. but im ok with it until i find an oak console. or i may go back out to the salvage yard that i got it from and see about getting the seats out of that 02 that they have out there. Its got leather.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails 99-02 console in a 98? any ideas?-photo.jpg  
Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by crolison
If you got blue interior I have one for sale from a 99+

console, ebrake, bracket and most hardware.
how much?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone have a picture of the 99+ console's front face? i've never seen one and i'd like to know what's in the space to the left of the handbrake lever.

thanks!

ooops! now i've seen one.. should've look at the link posted above earlier

Last edited by KZN185W; 01-28-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 98runner210
how much?
pm'd you