Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 Tacoma to be modded

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Tacoma to be modded

Hey ya'll, this is my first post here, so hopefully you guys can help a noob out. I'm VERY new to car/truck modifications, so bare with me.

I'm thinking about moding the crap out of my 98 standard cab, so tell me what ya'll think:

Performance: (what's the factory hp? I want to bring it up to at least 160 hp, so any affordable suggestions?)
Cold Air Intake (What brand?)
Exhaust & Headers (Same question)
TRD Supercharger (depending on the $$$, I might not do this, how much are superchargers?)
Short shifter (not really performance, but yeah...)

Exterior:
New Paint, I'm sick of red, probably going blue or silver
New Bed Liner
Front Bumper w/ bars (suggestions?)
Lights (not sure what to do quite yet, suggestions?)

Interior:
Momo wheel and shift knob
Carbon fiber kit
Custom seats (probably sparco, suggestions?)
Completely new sound system (suggestions for deck, door speakers, tweeters, sub, and amp?)

Other:
3" Lift (suggestions?)
All terrain tires (suggestions?)

Anything you guys can provide me with would be great. Also, I haven't had much luck finding Tacoma part sites (haven't looked too hard either), so throw me some awesome links!

If this is in the wrong section, sorry moderators. Please move if need be.

Thanks
-Ron-

Last edited by Solarian; 04-05-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:18 PM

I won't tell you to search, like some other people might do...

First of all, if we're to help you at all...you need to give us more info:

1) about your truck - is it a 2.7L? 5-speed? ...etc.

2) what do you want to do with it? off-roading? showtruck? grocery-getter?

Jim
Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 PM

I won't tell you to search, like some other people might do...
Sorry for not searching, I just usually find it more beneficial to ask in a new thread and discuss further based on your posts, since a search may give some info, but not sure-fire answers.

1) 5-speed, I'm PRETTY sure it's a 2.4L, but I'll have to double check
2) Mainly a daily driver, but I do want to have some fun with it: some off-roading. I'll probably get bashed for this, but I want it to both look like it has more power, and I also want it to have more power.

Any other info you guys need?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

With all that money you could buy a new truck.

Anyways, I'll help with what I can.

Performance:
Check out the deckplate mod. I'm not sure if you can do it on the 2.7L.
For intake I think the general consensus is K&N or Amsoil. K&N has a cold air intake system and I think Amsoil is just the filter. Some like the Amsoil better, some like the K&N better.
Superchargers are running about $2000 for the 3.4L. I'm not sure about the 2.7L.

Exhaust:
I prefer Dynomax but you just have to hear some different mufflers and decide what you want. Some members hear run Magnaflow and Flowmaster.
I'm not too sure on the headers. I know TRD makes some. I'm not sure if Downey makes any for the Tacos and 3rd gen 4runners.

Tires:
Lots of people like the BFGs (It seems like everyone has them). The Dueler AT Revos receive high praises here too.

If you've got the 2.7L (and I'm assuming you do), it is rated at 150hp. The 3.4L is rated at 183hp.

Why are you replacing the bed?

Welcome Aboard!

Old 04-05-2004, 09:55 PM

Why are you replacing the bed?
Hah, didn't throw "liner" at the end of that.

Can you give me a link for the deckplate mod?

For exhaust, do you have a link to soundclips?

I definitely need to check on my engine size, because it MIGHT be a 2.7L, but it really doesn't feel like it's got 150 hp in there.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Go to the main page and click on the tech articles link. There you will find info on the deckplate mod. Also Corey has got sound clips on his personal website. You can find the link to it through one of his previous posts or by finding his name in the Members List. He's an admin here so he will have a bazillion posts beside his name.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:36 AM

Ok, so you probably have the 2.7L engine (not 2.4L, I think those only came on 2wd trucks).

Performance:
I'd go for some after-market headers - made by: Northwest Off-road, LC Engineering, or Downey (I think there's at least another brand out there).
No advice for the exhaust...except that from what I've read, people seem to like the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler combined with this engine.
There is a supercharger available, you might have to work with Alpine Developments to get one (TRD no longer supplies them). Set aside at least $2,500 for that one.

Exterior:
The spray-in bed-liner is a good thing. I've seen people with all the different brands, IMHO - there is no wrong one to get. However, I'd spend the $300-400 and have the professionals do it for you.
For bumpers, there are very many to choose from...here's a few sites to get you started...
http://www.arbusa.com/
http://www.badlandbumpers.com/
http://www.demello-offroad.com/

For the 3" lift, I'd either do something like the Sway-A-Way coilovers, or go with Old Man Emu. Anything bigger than 3" and you will jump up 4" and a whole lot more work to install it.

Here's an Ok parts site...
http://www.performanceproducts.com/

Good luck!
Jim
Old 04-06-2004, 06:48 AM

Dont throw your money away and put a SC on a 2.7. Its only good for about 35 hp. Get a header with a catback and do a deckplate mod.
Like Jim said for lift either go with Sway-A-Ways' or OME. The first are adjustable and more expensive the second are not. I would suggest leaf packs on the rear in place of blocks or shackles. The ride quality will be significantly better IMO.
MTX makes a prebuilt box for a 10" sub behind the seat. the door speakers are 6.5's. If your goin with components you might consider getting some that can be coaxial mounted. There are very few good positions for a tweeter in a tacoma (the older ones anyway) Everything just depends on the how much money u want to spend.
WET OKOLE seat covers might be a compromise for new seats. Check them out.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:13 AM

If you want a real carbon fiber kit, talk to Jason Burtman, he'll hook you up with a great deal.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/
Old 04-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

If you do most of your driving on pavement buy tires with a mileage warranty which the Revos do come with but the BFG all terrains don't;something to consider.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone! By the sound of it, a supercharger is pretty much out of the question. How much hp gain would you guys say there would be with the deckplate mod (just looked up the instructions on Corey's site), exhaust, and headers? Would it be a dumb idea to upgrade the intake as well?

I'll definitely start looking into all these brands you guys are posting for suspension and what not.

For the bed liner, I'm covered with that. I'm not sure if this outfit in Sacramento is a chain or not, but Line-X did my uncle's truck and good lord it's an awesome liner. If I remember correctly, Line-X is actually the company the Toyota dealers are using out here.

Cruizin - Yeah, I've been looking into those truck sub boxes. Sorry for the noob question, but what is coaxil mounting?

Miked - Heh, that's where I got the idea of getting a CF kit, I might even go with one of his other surfaces, who knows.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

With the deckplate (good for 7-8whp which is right on with an expensive K&N full intake) plus the full engine back exhasut might be good for maybe 20whp realistically.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
plus the full engine back exhasut might be good for maybe 20whp realistically.
You DSM guys always exaggerate! Oh wait, that's the Honda guys.

If you find an exhaust system that gains 20HP on the 5VZ, please let me know. I want it!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:11 PM

btw...my truck is a 4x2 Regular Cab 2.4L
Old 04-06-2004, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Solarian
btw...my truck is a 4x2 Regular Cab 2.4L
What?!?

Dude, that info would've been very important earlier. I'd post over on http://www.customtacos.com/ for their advice. I think just about every Taco person on here is driving a 4x4. CT will have what you need (not that we don't, but they have more...lots more).

Jim
Old 04-06-2004, 07:22 PM

Hah! Well ˟˟˟˟e, I'll still hang around here though.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:23 PM

yeah you can scrap all the suspension info we've given you. Anyway coaxial mounting is mounting the tweeter inside the woofer like you would c with any regular coaxial speaker. If your on a budget you might even consider a good pair of coaxials. Im running some infinity reference's in my tercel off of an alpine 50x2 amp and they sound really good.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
You DSM guys always exaggerate! Oh wait, that's the Honda guys.

If you find an exhaust system that gains 20HP on the 5VZ, please let me know. I want it!
Actually I was talking intake,headers and full exhaust together and you might see 20 but 15whp is realistic. Turbo cars can gain 20+hp from and exhaust.

I did see a Supra that dynoed 285whp stock and then with a full 3inch turbo back exhaust and a filter it laid down 358whp for a gain of a crazy 73whp but Toyota has those engines soooo detuned from the factory it's rediculous but for insurance and mpg reasons it had to be done but it's nice to know you have a lot of bang-for-you-buck just waiting to be unleashed;it's too bad that Fast&The Furious drove the price up on even high mileage Supras so getting into one can take some $$$.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

You could easily turbocharge the 2.7 it wouldn't cost that much. A manifold would be easy to fab since its an inline 4 and the the rest is cake, just a thought.