Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 4Runner rear brake issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 4Runner rear brake issue?

So the drivers side rear axle seal went out. Took it to shop who replace seal/bearing/etc on that side and installed new brakes on that side only. Get truck back and after about 100 miles and I driving down the road and I start to feel a shake/almost like a tire way out of balance, coming from the l/rear where work was done. shake is rather significant and did not go away at 45mph of 15 mph.. stayed constant. Pull over and first thing I smell is burning rubber/oil.. go to rear wheel and it is cooking hot.. like put your finger on it for about 2 secs and you're gonna burn hot. Heat coming off the drum/wheel is ridiculous hot. Thinking brakes are dragging. Get it home, call shop, take it back.. they say they adjusted the brakes a little looser? as they could have been set too tight.. that they looked inside drum and everything looked fine.. shoes still good, drum not glazed..get truck back and same damn thing happens in first 30 miles. Jacked rear end up. Can freely spin pass side rear wheel but drivers side, where they did work won't budge. Took wheel off and drum is of course not coming off. Tried to loosen adjuster and it wont budge without messing up teeth. So back it goes. Any ideas what could be causing this? E-brake is not bound up. Wondering if as hot as it got back there if I could be burning up gear oil? could some serious heat mess up the bearing? I did the pass side rear axle seal myself aside from having a machine shop remove bearing etc so I know how the brakes go in the rear. Could they have put the brakes in wrong? can you get the adjuster in backwards? Any help appreciated. I've not had work done at this shop before and only heard good things. I can't be there when they work on it to see brakes myself so I'm kind of at their mercy since I can't get the damn drum off myself now.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

With two tools one to push the lock away the other to turn the adjuster.

Your turning the adjuster to tighten it to draw the shoes from the drum .

Looking at the backing plate the adjuster is turned down

To adjust them up it gets turned in the up direction and the adjuster clicks because in that direction you don`t need to hold the lock.

First rule of BRAKES when doing any work do both sides.

If the shop wanted to do the other side and you said no!!

That was your choice if it was their choice not good.

At this point who knows what they did.