Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 Tacoma 2.7L Exhaust leak and other minor problems....

Old 11-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Tacoma 2.7L Exhaust leak and other minor problems....

Been hanging out in these forums for awhile now and have received a lot of help by just reading through the threads. My Tacoma is a 97 4wd 2.7L Automatic. The truck has 224,000 miles and is in generally great shape. About 9 months ago I started to experience valve clatter when accelerating. After much research I decided to replace the timing chains. I found a kit that included the Chains, tensioners, guides, oil pump, water pump, and new timing chain housing.

For those of you that do not know this job requires removal of the head. While I had the head off I replaced the valve stem seals (badly leaking) and checked the valve clearance. All the shims were within spec which was a welcomed surprise. Long and short of it is the job was large, involved, and relatively expensive. Along the way I replaced several sensors (crankshaft sensor, both O2 sensors, EGR Temp Sensor) and now the truck runs great. No more valve clatter, starts first time every time and seems to have more power (wishful thinking on my part?)....

All that to say I have two issues that are being a pain.

First on is that the exhaust manifold is leaking. I have replaced the gasket twice, and the flange gaskets twice. I keep getting a leak at the flange. Additionally I found what appears to be a crack in the manifold on the bottom of the manifold. I went to a local junk yard and picked up a replacement manifold that appears to be in good shape. Here is my question: Are there any best practices for installing this manifold (torque what first, doubling gaskets in the flange area, etc)? Which gaskets give the best results? The multi-layered metal one or the metal and asbestos sandwich?

Second: When starting the truck for the first time in the morning I experience a noticeable sluggishness. Stepping on the gas as I pull out on the main road ( two blocks from home) the truck feels like it is bogging down. No codes set and once I have traveled 1/2 mile or so and the temp gauge starts to go up the sluggishness goes away. I suspect that the EGR system is to blame but cannot "prove" it. If anyone else has had this experience please share your solutions.

Thanks for any feedback and for all the help so far.

-Hutsko
Old 11-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump....