Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 4runners or 3rd gens with HIDs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4runners or 3rd gens with HIDs.

For those with HIDs what have you guys down to help with the projection? ahhah ive noticed ever since that everyone in front of me especially cars or any oncoming vehicles take a beating from the bright HIDs. i know that the projectors can put in and all the custom work but is there anyone with any ideas to help?
hahaha
i would end up doing projectors just dont relaly have the time. haha thanks for input.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:48 AM

Make the time, do it right. Sounds like you already know what needs to be done. Otherwise get some 99+ headlights, that will help a little and aim them down.

Last edited by CYi5; 09-24-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no "quick fix" to help w/ glare caused by these headlight housings. These housings were never designed to run HIDs, thus the reason you're expeirencing the infamous HID glare.

Retrofitting a set of projectors in is your only real fix: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a.../#post50901220

Last edited by Rock Slide; 09-24-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 AM

It is getting bad around here with people putting HIDs in cars never designed for them. I see Rangers and Tundras with these things blinding everyone on the road but if you look there is hardly any light being cast on the road in front of the driver. I throw on my brights and bullbar lights which are aimed high when I am facing one of these inconsiderate morons. You blind me I blind you. Thanks a$$hole!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 AM

haha yea i actually even have the 99+ headlights seems like they helped. but VERY VERY little haha
hmm okay guess ill have to make some time for projectors. ahha thanks everyone
was just trying to get some input thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM

So if the HID glare is so bad, and bright....would these corners/lamps make any difference because of the darker tint/backing?

Just curious because I'm about to buy both of the HIDs and this set of lamps. Any thoughts on that? My tail lights will soon be smoked euros as well. Wanting front/rear lights to match if possible.

And I'm on the out side border of town, so I need better lighting because of deers, dogs, etc..so anybody who flashes me after I get them, is going to see how bright they can really get when switched to 'brights.' lol
Old 09-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what you talking about corner lights have nothing to do with the headlights ... also oem 99-02 headlights are way better than those
Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 PM

Still not getting 99-02 lights unless I try these first. I'll never know for myself unless I have them on there, so doesn't matter. And I understand corners have nothing to do with HID glare, it's obvious.

Was wondering if the headlight backing would reduce it any. I'm thinking it would reduce them a bit more than normal bright/clear backing (i.e. 99-02 lamps). But then again, I'm an inconsiderate pr1ck when I drive, so I couldn't care less about people being blinded by my lamps.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
alright its your money im just letting you know they may look nice tell it gets dark
Old 09-24-2009, 02:34 PM

It's just money. But thanks for the heads up. Who knows, maybe this will be a decision I regret, but...we're all different, so opinions differ and that's the joy of it all! ;oP

If I decide I hate them, and get 99-02's I'll send you a picture of the switch, along with Me posing a sad face. lol

Last edited by BulgersRunner; 09-24-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BulgersRunner
Still not getting 99-02 lights unless I try these first. I'll never know for myself unless I have them on there, so doesn't matter. And I understand corners have nothing to do with HID glare, it's obvious.

Was wondering if the headlight backing would reduce it any. I'm thinking it would reduce them a bit more than normal bright/clear backing (i.e. 99-02 lamps). But then again, I'm an inconsiderate pr1ck when I drive, so I couldn't care less about people being blinded by my lamps.
If you buying these lights soley to help on glare, then you're just wasting your money by trying these first. The headlight backing on these is the same as oem lights. All that mirror coating is what reflects the light outward. The bulb itself still mounts the same in these as they do in oem lights. The only part of these headlights that light does not already reflect off of, is the black part...thus why it's only part black. The mirror coating is not any darker on these than oem...it's just the lighting of the picture. Make sense?

Last edited by Rock Slide; 09-24-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:19 PM

I've got an 8K HID kit from Retro Solutions on my '99 4Runner and while it's no where near having projectors I don't have a lot of glare either. If I were you, I would spend your money on a 99-02 headlight conversion. Also, crappy HID kits have a lot to do with the reason why there is glare in a non-projector lens. So when you buy a HID kit make sure you don't just get the "cheapo" ones and get something you know is good. Try this website out http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/StoreFront. They make full digital HID Kits. I'll try and get some time to go up to building wall one night and take some pics of mine. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:52 PM

I couldn't care less about people being blinded by my lamps.
Well hopefully the person you blind ends up directly head on in your path
Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
If you buying these lights soley to help on glare, then you're just wasting your money by trying these first. The headlight backing on these is the same as oem lights. All that mirror coating is what reflects the light outward. The bulb itself still mounts the same in these as they do in oem lights. The only part of these headlights that light does not already reflect off of, is the black part...thus why it's only part black. The mirror coating is not any darker on these than oem...it's just the lighting of the picture. Make sense?
Stop making so much sense Rock Slide . If his opinion is that the black parts will reduce glare, then leave it at that. Who needs facts or science these days when we all have opinions?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
There is no "quick fix" to help w/ glare caused by these headlight housings. These housings were never designed to run HIDs, thus the reason you're expeirencing the infamous HID glare.

Retrofitting a set of projectors in is your only real fix: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a.../#post50901220

damm i just read through the whole thread and sub threads and now i want them
ahha any one still willing to build and sell the retro fits?
personally dont really have the time right now but maybe if no one is willing to sell ill find some time later to build it
NICE
THANKS!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CYi5
Stop making so much sense Rock Slide . If his opinion is that the black parts will reduce glare, then leave it at that. Who needs facts or science these days when we all have opinions?
But I can't help it!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM

The smoked lamps will just match better all around is why I'm getting them, still don't care about the glare, people running into Me head on, etc.. Reading further up, when posted the picture of the smoked lamps, I clearly said I want fronts/rears to match. Besides, if they're the same as OEM, then I'll be fine, because the only difference in them is the black backing, and smoked sides. LOL And if they glare, then I'll aim them down like any of the others.

I've been driving for awhile, and doing great, it's other people that I'm worried about driving. And HID wise, I'm not going cheap on them, I'll spend some cash, but as far as looks, I'll buy both 99-02, and the ones I posted, and try them both out. It's the only way to find out which ones I really like.

Thanks for the input!

-Bulger
Old 09-25-2009, 03:57 PM

The ones you posted have a plastic face, OEM is glass. Not that it makes much of a difference. Technically the plastic is supposed to be a little less distortion on projectors than the OEM glass from what i've read.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

The smoked lamps will just match better all around is why I'm getting them, still don't care about the glare, people running into Me head on, etc.. Reading further up, when posted the picture of the smoked lamps, I clearly said I want fronts/rears to match. Besides, if they're the same as OEM, then I'll be fine, because the only difference in them is the black backing, and smoked sides. LOL And if they glare, then I'll aim them down like any of the others.

I've been driving for awhile, and doing great, it's other people that I'm worried about driving. And HID wise, I'm not going cheap on them, I'll spend some cash, but as far as looks, I'll buy both 99-02, and the ones I posted, and try them both out. It's the only way to find out which ones I really like.

Thanks for the input!

-Bulger
The only part of these lights that are the same as oem is their shape . Yes, they look similar to oem, but I've heard ppl complain about their light output quality w/ these lights compared to oem...thus the reason they're cheaper than oem lights.

Oh and no amount of aiming them down will help w/ glare...unless of course you just point them straight down to the ground...but then you'll loose out.

Nonetheless, you said you're going to buy both these and the oem versions to compare, so good luck.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:37 AM

what's the safest way to do all this? aha just devote on whole day? and overall sense no one wants to build for me how hard was it for an average guy that works on my runner?

Quick Reply: 97 4runners or 3rd gens with HIDs.