Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 4Runner / Vibration when breaking / but not coming from the breaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4Runner / Vibration when breaking / but not coming from the breaks

I have had a continuing issue with a strong vibration when breaking.

I just replaced a worn out inner driver side tie-rod and all the ball joints (upper and lower). Then had an alignment from a toyota dealer.

I have also replaced the brake calipers, brake rotors, pads and flex lines.

I'm still getting the vibration.

My runner is almost stock except for a 2 inch lift and one size up on the tires.

My runner just turned 200,000 miles and is runnin' strong except for needing a new clutch (btw.. 200,000 miles on the original clutch )

Any Ideas on the where the vibration is originating??? What about the control arm bushings???
Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Sounds kind of dumb, but what kind of tires do you have?

My MTs vibrate when I hit the right speed and I feel each nob hit the ground. It feels almost like a rough idle type vibration.

Just an idea.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 PM

You are getting vibrations..but do you hear any sounds?? What kinda lift are ya running? And just when you hit the brakes? Find out what side its coming from-could be tires or uneven wear if everything checks out, but maybe your rotors are warped for some reason, but I guess the alignment would show that.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:07 PM

Does it pull to one side?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tryed rebalancing the tires?? you may have thrown a weight and not know it. I had the same issue and noticed a weight missing on the front right inside rebalanced it and smooth as silk again. Just a thought
Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 PM

just something to check.. if your running ifs check the bolts on the front diff.. ive had two ifs rigs so far and both have had those two bolts on the back of it loosen up..also worn half shafts will make it shake but that usually shakes more with speed.. worped rotors will do this.. yours are new. but if your back brakes are shot or out of adjustment 100 percent of the braken will be in the front insted of 70. maken them over heat and then maybe u hit some water then bam there warped..
good luck man..
Old 11-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Rotate and balance the tires...thats your problem. I've gone through the same thing.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks fella's for your help...

I do not have large tires. My truck is mostly stock.

I have no brake chatter or hot spots for that matter.

My tires are Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza. I bought them because they have a high rating for comfort and a smooth ride. They are not off road tires.

I get the vibration when braking. If I am going say 60 or so and braking to make a turn, the vibration starts at about 45 and continues until about 10mph. If feels like its coming from the passenger side and in the chassis. I do not feel it in the brake pedal and very slightly in the steering. It feels like a hopping sensation or jumping up and down of the suspension.

The coil overs look fine.

It does not pull to one side or the other.

I'm confident the tires are balanced and balanced well.

I'm also highly confident the rotors are not warped.

New shocks installed about 10,000 miles ago.

JTLINNA3FVZ... Which bolts on the IFS are you speaking of? I would like to check them.

What about the control arms??? or... What about the wheel bearings???

My gut says if it was a wheel bearing I would be much worse shape.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 PM

you are correct in saying that if it were bearings it would be worse. it would vibe durring turns and make noise.. as for the bolts im talking about.. im not sure if the design on you gen runner is the same as mine but its the same principal. on my front diff there a three mounts, one in the front that is horizontal and two in the back that are vertical.. i was haven a hopping vibrating feeling durring braking. it would also wheel hop in front on slick snow covered roads.. the two vertical bolts had play in them which was causing my diff to twist and hop in its mounts.. to check this get under your front diff with a floor jack.. very very very gently lift on the diff itself and check if theres movement, if gaps get bigger or the bushing is easily moved.. if its hard to tell get a tape measure.. its very hard to spot this by eye when your rig is on a lift and the suspension is hanging free.. i found mine when i was doing half shafts..
Old 11-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You say the tires are balanced, but, are you SURE they have been rotated!!??

I know it sounds ridiculous, but, I swear on my mothers grave that I have had bad vibration from A/T's (and obviously M/Ts) when I have not rotated the tires in a while.

I had Discount Tire Co rotate and balance my tires. They did not rotate them! So, now I do it myself.

Anyways, start out cheap first. Do all the CHEAP things before you go in and get whole new ball joints and stuff.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:16 AM

OK !!! JTlinna....

I think we are onto something here. That bushing is officially called the "Front Mounting Cushion". And... it is loose. The bolts are tight but it has play in the bushing. I'm not sure how the brakes transition into those mounts but it seems to be the problem. Now I just need to find a part number and get the parts.

Thanks for your assistance. I will follow up in a week or so after I get the new parts installed.