Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 Tacoma starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Tacoma starting issues...

I've read a few similar posts, but thought I'd present my case because of a few anomalies. I have a 96 tacoma 2.7 and I'm starting to get a single click for every turn of the ignition. For now it will start with no more than 3-4 tries, but I know it'll only get worse. When it does turn over eventually it fires up strong like it always has.

Does this sound like a loose connection somewhere?

Bad starter? - Looks like it would be a pain to service it.

Side notes:
I have a brand new battery, that holds the correct voltage under test, with clean terminals and connections. It seems to be more of a problem when it's cold outside. Although I have to admit it's only just started 5 days ago and the one warm day we had I had no problems. That could have just been luck, although it made me question the battery a bit despite it passing the voltage meter. The next thing, it could be incidental as well, is questioning the clutch safety switch. I have it my mind, once again this could be incidental, that I've maybe observed that I'm having to push the clutch in a little more over the years before it will allow ignition. I could be imagining that, but occasionally I'll go to start her and realize that I didn't push the clutch in far enough. I always floor the clutch...almost like I have to push just a tad more. Now I know that probably has nothing to do with my problem as I'm able to get that solenoid "click" when attempting to start. Thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bad starter contacts, order from toyota $20.00 pull starter cleanup replace contacts and install will be good as new!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Thanks. Are these contacts in the solenoid on the starter? I'm guess I'll have to pull thing whole thing out? Is it a tough job?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nickolad
Thanks. Are these contacts in the solenoid on the starter? I'm guess I'll have to pull thing whole thing out? Is it a tough job?
pull the starter there is a motor and the solenoid you disassemble the solenoid and replace the contacts reassemble and reinstall...
Old 02-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks again. Hopefully I can handle it with basic tools. looks hard to get to.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nickolad
Thanks again. Hopefully I can handle it with basic tools. looks hard to get to.
one tip that I just remembered I needed a 3/8 drive 3" ext and the wobble head worked the best any auto parts house will have one like $5-$7 worth the investment for when you "just can't get a straight line on the bolt or nut" and like a 13mm 14mm or15mm socket can't remember if it was deep or shallow ,,,,.....oh yeah you gotta turn it the right way for it to come out I think I had to flip mine around and upside down or some thing like that..........

Last edited by eddieleephd; 02-05-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: oh yeah
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Cool, sounds like I have the tools I need already. let me pick your brain again... Did you have to remove the tire or could you turn it enough to get at it? I read somewhere that it's a real pain to get the starter out; several people mentioning slightly bending some brake lines.... yikes. Also, did you replace the plunger when you replaced the connections as well? I really appreciate your insight!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:03 AM

yes I did kinda have to bend the one brake line,, not much but a little...No I did not have to take the tire off never even crossed my mind of course I have enough lift that I can crawl under with no issues.

basically the hardest part is finding which tools to use here and how to turn it to get it out....good luck...