Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'96 SR5...anyone had THIS starter problem?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '96 SR5...anyone had THIS starter problem?

First of all I am pumped to find this UG, having just purchased my first 4runner - a '96 SR5. If anyone can offer insight on this issue, I am much obliged because it has me scratching my head.

The starter would stop working intermittently. Usually it was when the vehicle was hot but would begin to work again after sitting 15-20 mins to cool off. I had a Corolla that did this and it was cured by replacing the starter - which is what I did on this SR5.

It worked perfectly and I started the 4Runner three times and then let it sit. I have it up on jack stands to do other work so I finished up with a thermostat & radiator/hoses replacement.

When I tried it again to pressure test the cooling system...nothing...not a click, not a whir....nada. I took it back to the parts store where they checked it & it worked like a champ.

I've checked my battery with a voltmeter and it is good...checked the ignition wire plug that clips onto the starter and the heavy positive cable that bolts on the starter & runs back to the battery and it is getting juice also.

I checked them against the vehicle frame and it is grounded fine.

The only thing left is either the fusible link or the starter relay.

Is there a ground wire (engine to frame) that I could have inadvertently disconnected?

What am I missing?

Thanks, all!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It could be the starter contacts. Very cheap and easy to do.
Do a search for "starter contacts". I'm sure there is a write-up. If not there should be.

Last edited by HAVOC; 07-27-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:46 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Double check the big (+) wire from the battery to the starter. I had an old 22r that was working intermittently like you stated, and it turned out the wire was bad- i troubleshot by temp. installing jumper cables from battery to starter (with original wire disconnected) and trying to turn it over. SO easy, but i overlooked it a week into troubleshooting! good luck!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

x2 on the starter contacts. I just did mine yst. Here's a great link. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3...-heavy-105098/
Old 07-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by joco5511
Is there a ground wire (engine to frame) that I could have inadvertently disconnected?
No, theres not. The only ground wire is from the battery to engine block and you should have another very short/lead ground wire thats bolted to the inside fender wall -near your fuse box.

If your not getting ANY clicks, you may have a loose wire or like you said, a bad relay.

Here's the entire battery/starter/alternator wiring harness from my '96...
Old 08-04-2008, 08:31 AM

I want to thank you guys for tips. They were all extremely helpful!! Although the battery was bad (internal short - also replaced), the final issue turned out to be the defective reman starter.
Not sure if the batt issue was related to the starter issue or not. The 1st reman part started the 4Runner only 3 three times. The final proof - I jumpered the ignition wire on the solenoid to the + on my batt & still NADA.
Here is the crazy part - when I took it back to the parts store - which I did twice - it worked each time on their test bench so the parts rep (Advanced Auto Parts) would not swap it out. I finally got a guy who was reasonable when he heard how thoroughly I'd worked on it & hooked me up w/a replacement. Went home - threw it on- VIOLA! I have a running 4Runner again. Thanks to ALL!!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good job getting it figured out. I'm glad they hooked you up with a starter. I've had bad starters show up good on the bench tester at NAPA, and had to argue like hell to get them to honor the warranty.

In your first post, you said you tested the battery with a voltmeter. You probably figured this out by now, but what you did was checked static voltage, not really test the battery. To test the battery properly, one needs to put a load on it and measure the amp output.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by zlathim
Good job getting it figured out. I'm glad they hooked you up with a starter. I've had bad starters show up good on the bench tester at NAPA, and had to argue like hell to get them to honor the warranty.

In your first post, you said you tested the battery with a voltmeter. You probably figured this out by now, but what you did was checked static voltage, not really test the battery. To test the battery properly, one needs to put a load on it and measure the amp output.
When you say "put a load on it", do you just turn the switch on to "ACC"?