Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'96-oil residue around heads--is this bad??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96-oil residue around heads--is this bad??

I've noticed for awhile that I have oil residue around both heads. It looks like it's been caked up for awhile and I've noticed now that there is oil residue around the oil filler cap that's caked up. The base of the filler cap appears to have fresh or shiny oil but the cap is on as tight as I can get it. I've had to 96 4runner 2wd for about a year now and my neighbor who works at the stealership looked up the VIN and said there are no recalls on it. He specifically looked for the headgasket recall.

Is this an issue I need to worry about? The truck seems to run fine for having 164k on it. Every now and then I smell a burning smell after driving it so I don't know if oil is dripping off the heads onto the exhaust manifold or what. From the posts I've read the HG fix is fairly expensive. If I keep driving it the way it is, what do I risk happening? Will the gasket blowing take a valve with it or what?? Thanks for any advice!! I've searched the posts but haven't really found a good answer. Please let me know if you are aware of any. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run some oil dye solution in your rig, drive it around for a day and then check with a black light to see if any dye is present at the head gasket. Your neighbor can probably help you with this, if he's the helping type.

Are you loosing any oil? Do you notice any oil burning on start up? While driving? Up hills?

-Wrench
Old 02-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by needa4runner
I've noticed for awhile that I have oil residue around both heads. It looks like it's been caked up for awhile and I've noticed now that there is oil residue around the oil filler cap that's caked up. The base of the filler cap appears to have fresh or shiny oil but the cap is on as tight as I can get it. I've had to 96 4runner 2wd for about a year now and my neighbor who works at the stealership looked up the VIN and said there are no recalls on it. He specifically looked for the headgasket recall.

Is this an issue I need to worry about? The truck seems to run fine for having 164k on it. Every now and then I smell a burning smell after driving it so I don't know if oil is dripping off the heads onto the exhaust manifold or what. From the posts I've read the HG fix is fairly expensive. If I keep driving it the way it is, what do I risk happening? Will the gasket blowing take a valve with it or what?? Thanks for any advice!! I've searched the posts but haven't really found a good answer. Please let me know if you are aware of any. Thanks.
Are you leaking at the head gasket or the valve covers?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:24 AM

MTL_4runner may be right. The area I'm talking about is at the very top of the engine right below the oil filler spout. It probably is the valve covers. I'll have to check for sure but it's definitly the area around the top most part of the engine around the heads so my thinking is it must be the valve covers and not the head gaskets. I am having to add oil but not very often. I can drive it for a month or so before having to add a little. It's nothing real significant considering the mileage. Should I go ahead and try the die? I haven't really smelt anything strong, the engine just has that HOT smell after I've been driving it.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:26 AM

Wrenchmonster, I have only noticed puffs of smoke on startup a few times. The smoke seems to have disappeared since I had the engine flush/cleaning done about 8-9mths ago. That's the last time I saw any puffs on starup...that I've noticed any way.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puffs of smoke on start up is usually an indication of worn/leaking valve stem seals. If you did a flush and your problems are gone, I would just keep an eye on it. It's good you don't have blue smoke while running, up hills. If you did, this may indicate you have a problem with your rings.

Sounds like your valve covers are leaking, not your head gaskets from your second description. This is a good thing considering the alternative. Do you have any pictures so we can verify the problem?

-Wrench
Old 02-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

MTL_4runner may be right. The area I'm talking about is at the very top of the engine right below the oil filler spout. It probably is the valve covers. I'll have to check for sure but it's definitly the area around the top most part of the engine around the heads so my thinking is it must be the valve covers and not the head gaskets. I am having to add oil but not very often. I can drive it for a month or so before having to add a little. It's nothing real significant considering the mileage. Should I go ahead and try the die? I haven't really smelt anything strong, the engine just has that HOT smell after I've been driving it.
Valve covers are much easier and cheaper to do than a head gasket.
You will have to take the intake off to do the passenger side though.
It is rare to see oil leaking out of the headgasket on these motors.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
I would agree. However, try cleaning the engine, tightening the valve covers and keeping an eye out for trouble. If you see leakage from the valve covers, they are pretty easy to replace. Head gaskets are another story. The best way to determine if the head gaskets are leaking is to do a compression test on the cylinders. Ask your local motor head if he will do it and then as the same time, you can change your spark plugs since they have to be removed for the test anyway.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. Are the gaskets something that an amateur like me can replace or not? I just moved and don't have my manuals unpacked. Are the gaskets actual material gaskets or is it like the trans where you have to scrape the RTV sealant? off the pan? Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice. Are the gaskets something that an amateur like me can replace or not? I just moved and don't have my manuals unpacked. Are the gaskets actual material gaskets or is it like the trans where you have to scrape the RTV sealant? off the pan? Thanks for the help!!
I am pretty sure they are a rubber gasket but a quick check by calling the dealer for the part will verify it.
If there is no gasket listed, then it is an RTV like the tranny pan (but I am quite sure there is one).
You won't really need a manual to do it, just a decent set of tools so get those unpacked for sure.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:44 AM

Thanks MTL_4runner. I'll be sure and check with the dealer. Thanks to all who replied!!